Riveria deck on freedom

skittl1321

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect from an OV cabin on the Riveria deck of Freedom?

DH and I are wanting to go on our second cruise, and money is an issue. (Our first cruise was on the Spirit, in a Balcony on the Main deck- the military discount was great and the Balcony room came out to about $100 per night. This time around, there isn't a good discount for a balcony.)

Anyhow- my concerns with the Riveria deck is that it's going to feel very very close to the water through the window. Am I going to feel like I'm in an aquarium?

That it's going to be really noisy with college kids (sailing the 1st week of January- after the holiday rush, but before they are back in school).

That it's going to feel very 'steerage'. I don't feel like I need to be close to the Lido deck- the elevators are a short ride up, but I don't want to feel like I'm desending into the bowels of the ship.

Could someone help me feel better about this choice? DH and I aren't that pick, we aren't traveling with kids, and except for a bit of the "in an aquarium fear" I don't think there is rationally any reason that it shouldn't be an okay choice. Or tell me honestly that it's a really bad idea? (It can't possibly be a really bad idea- I mean, people sail in these rooms all the time...)

Having done some better searches I found a few threads and general consensus is Riveria deck is good, might have anchor noise, but ship noise is okay with me, it's people noise I don't like. It's well above the water, but there might be wave splashing.

I'm still nervous being so low if there was an emergency, but mostly it should be okay

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect from an OV cabin on the Riveria deck of Freedom?

DH and I are wanting to go on our second cruise, and money is an issue. (Our first cruise was on the Spirit, in a Balcony on the Main deck- the military discount was great and the Balcony room came out to about $100 per night. This time around, there isn't a good discount for a balcony.)

Anyhow- my concerns with the Riveria deck is that it's going to feel very very close to the water through the window. Am I going to feel like I'm in an aquarium?

That it's going to be really noisy with college kids (sailing the 1st week of January- after the holiday rush, but before they are back in school).

That it's going to feel very 'steerage'. I don't feel like I need to be close to the Lido deck- the elevators are a short ride up, but I don't want to feel like I'm desending into the bowels of the ship.

Could someone help me feel better about this choice? DH and I aren't that pick, we aren't traveling with kids, and except for a bit of the "in an aquarium fear" I don't think there is rationally any reason that it shouldn't be an okay choice. Or tell me honestly that it's a really bad idea? (It can't possibly be a really bad idea- I mean, people sail in these rooms all the time...)

We did the Main on the freedom and we could have saved a couple of hundred dollars (2 cabins) by going one deck down to the same exact cabin on Riveria. We have done Riveria on Victory and it was great and we just thought we might try moving up one deck but we didn't need to at all.

As far as noise I would suggest that you just research the deck plans and get a midship OV on Riveria and make sure that your cabin faces "white space"...i.e. no cabins shown there. We did that and all we opened up to was a beautiful wallpapered and paneled hallway....no 4 pax inside cabins....where the college kids would most likely be booking!

Having done some better searches I found a few threads and general consensus is Riveria deck is good, might have anchor noise, but ship noise is okay with me, it's people noise I don't like. It's well above the water, but there might be wave splashing.

I'm still nervous being so low if there was an emergency, but mostly it should be okay

If there is an emergency that will cause you to leave the ship via gangway, you are closer to it on the lower decks. It is also easier to get on and off at the ports. Freedom is beautiful...go for the Riveria deck and save the money.

If Carnival follows the way it has done things in the past, the military rate may be available in May. It does it's military promotions in May and November. Get your room now if you want but keep watch in May for the possibility for an upgrade!

We are doing Freedom in Feb 2011 and I am already watching and hoping!

Eileen

We've done the Riv.deck on the Freedom twice. Midship and Aft for us and Forward for others in our party. All the rooms were great. We were inside but when you are off the ship you can see actually how high above the water you are. Have fun!

Archived