Due to Illness, can't make our cruise

Aussie TJE

My partner and I were meant to go on a Sun Princess cruise at the end of May, but unfortunately we won't be able to go now. Some of you may recall that we had to cancel our Diamond Princess cruise in February, but at the same time that we decided to cancel, Princess started offering move-over deals. We gratefully accepted this deal, as we hoped he would be OK by now, but his condition has detiorated and he has been in the hospice for 24 days now (47 days in total since February).

I believe that this cruise is very heavily booked - we have an aft mini suite booked. It appears that there are only a few outside cabins available, everything else is booked. (Just double checked and it looks like everything is waitlisted).

What do you think our chances are of getting another move-over offer? We really don't want for forfeit $6,000, so hopefully they will offer us this with a use by date of 12 months perhaps. Our Oncologist and GP have offered to write to Princess and explain our situation with the terminal illness, but I'm not sure if that will help. I did send an e-mail to our TA on Thursday, but haven't heard a word from them yet . . . hopefully they are in the midst of talking to Princess for us. I know Princess don't have to offer us a move-over or give us a credit to use at a future date, but I'm really hoping that they will consider this. They were great at letting us request the move-over last time, so fingers crossed.

We are so disappointed, but he is having chemo treatment at the same time as being in the hospice and it is really affecting him. We are really hoping that the chemo works and we can eventually go on our cruise.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I do remember the situation and I am so sorry. Were you able to buy any insurance on this next cruise? Not sure if you were as it may have been completely free/mostly free and may not have helped (not sure).

While it is possible, move over offers usually doesn't hit the "minisuite category" on the Sun Class as those cabins are almost like suites. I would definitely try anything and see if you can make it happen.

Most importantly - I sure wish your partner the best and that he heals quickly!

You guys are in Australia and things are a tad different there. Good luck.

Tamarah ,

I am new to Princess and taking my first ship next January . I went through a similar situation with a 48 week chemo run . Yuckk ! We were booked at the time with Carnival and had to pay a fee to move the date but it really gave me something to look forward to . Since they are Princess to this might work the same way but we had a different itinerary than originally planned it worked out better as I did need to take it easy for quite a while . Probably not much help I just felt compelled to respond and send you love and hugs from the little state of Delaware . I truly hope you both get your cruise and all works out ! Please take care of yourself as well , my wife did nothing but worry and run herself down , which doesn't help at all !

Take care and be blessed ! You are in my prayers ! Ted

I also accepted a move-over offer, and Princess allowed me to change the new date once without charge. I booked directly with them, and spoke directly with the inventory control manager who handles move-overs. However, this was about 10 months before the new cruise date.

Best wishes and lots of prayers.

My partner and I were meant to go on a Sun Princess cruise at the end of May, but unfortunately we won't be able to go now. Some of you may recall that we had to cancel our Diamond Princess cruise in February, but at the same time that we decided to cancel, Princess started offering move-over deals. We gratefully accepted this deal, as we hoped he would be OK by now, but his condition has detiorated and he has been in the hospice for 24 days now (47 days in total since February).

I believe that this cruise is very heavily booked - we have an aft mini suite booked. It appears that there are only a few outside cabins available, everything else is booked. (Just double checked and it looks like everything is waitlisted).

What do you think our chances are of getting another move-over offer? We really don't want for forfeit $6,000, so hopefully they will offer us this with a use by date of 12 months perhaps. Our Oncologist and GP have offered to write to Princess and explain our situation with the terminal illness, but I'm not sure if that will help. I did send an e-mail to our TA on Thursday, but haven't heard a word from them yet . . . hopefully they are in the midst of talking to Princess for us. I know Princess don't have to offer us a move-over or give us a credit to use at a future date, but I'm really hoping that they will consider this. They were great at letting us request the move-over last time, so fingers crossed.

We are so disappointed, but he is having chemo treatment at the same time as being in the hospice and it is really affecting him. We are really hoping that the chemo works and we can eventually go on our cruise.

So sorry for your problems. Contact your travel agent and Princess, they may have a heart. An upcoming cruise, is something to look forward to for a person having a serious illness. On a personal note, my DH had 4 brain tumors in 11 months and surgeries, and was told by one doc there was nothing else could be done. But 15 years later he is still with us and doing well. Never give up hope.

Even if you bought the insurance it won't help, at least not for me. Princess booked everything for me including the air. Because Princess only allowed 40 minutes between flights, we missed the connection and also missed the ship. Their attitude was "too bad". So now after paying $3700 for our cruise, we only get back $400, not even a credit because we book the first leg of our trip. We are a platinum member with Princess and they did not care in the least. Will never ever cruise with Princess again!

Even if you bought the insurance it won't help, at least not for me. Princess booked everything for me including the air. Because Princess only allowed 40 minutes between flights, we missed the connection and also missed the ship. Their attitude was "too bad". So now after paying $3700 for our cruise, we only get back $400, not even a credit because we book the first leg of our trip. We are a platinum member with Princess and they did not care in the least. Will never ever cruise with Princess again!

You keep trying.....gotta give you credit for that:)

Regardless whether the cruise is sold out or not your chance of another moveover are slim. I would not count on it.

After your first encounter and the fact that the situation was still precarious why would you not purchase ins?

I am assuming that you did not purchase insurance?

As has been stated many times before if Princess makes an exception then thats defeats the purpose of those who did purchase Ins.

Regardless whether the cruise is sold out or not your chance of another moveover are slim. I would not count on it.

After your first encounter and the fact that the situation was still precarious why would you not purchase ins?

I am assuming that you did not purchase insurance?

As has been stated many times before if Princess makes an exception then thats defeats the purpose of those who did purchase Ins.

On one of my move over offers - the cruise was free. So purchasing insurance on a free trip is sort of difficult (you insure what you paid, not what it is worth and payment is based on what you pay). It would not reinburse me for missing the "free cruise".

Their best bet is to contact Princess and see if they will change the move over date.

On one of my move over offers - the cruise was free. So purchasing insurance on a free trip is sort of difficult (you insure what you paid, not what it is worth and payment is based on what you pay). It would not reinburse me for missing the "free cruise".

Their best bet is to contact Princess and see if they will change the move over date.

How could it be free when they paid for it in the first place?

How could it be free when they paid for it in the first place?

Yea - it is confusing. We were told we would get all of our money back in OBC. Truthfully, not sure how this is handled because the payment is for a different cruise. So - I have no clue.

On the other hand, most insurance companies, you have to well enough to travel on the day you buy insurance to be covered. On this situation, the partner was ill so they would not have coverage anyway. Unless it was a cancel for any reason travel insurance.

Dear Folks

I do so hope you can get away on your cruise eventually. Did you try to make a claim on your insurance for the cruise you had to miss on 'Sun'? If not you may be able to as the 'moveover' was not successful. Otherwise put everything in writing, support it with the GP and Oncologist statements and fax it to Princess. Hopefully they will show they have a heart.

I really feel for you and I am praying you will have a positive outcome, both for your Husband in beating his illness and for you both in achieving a cruise. It would be just what you both need to lift your spirits. GC

I just wanted to thank all of you for your best wishes for my partner- it means a great deal to me.

I don't post on here a lot, but do read the board just about every day . . . it helps take my mind of everything else and enables me to escape!

My partner was a little bit better today, so that was a huge relief and we even managed to go for a little walk around the hospital grounds, in the sunshine. It's amazing how something like this can make you appreciate the smallest of things.

With regards to insurance, we would not have been able to get medical insurance (we do have insurance for lost luggage etc) but not for his pre-existing condition - cancer. No one would cover someone in his condition with very active disease, at least not that I could find!

I certainly don't expect Princess to give us our money back as we did book knowing he had cancer, but it's quite scary how quickly his condition changed. Less than 4 months ago, he was running 10 kms every day. So, we did think he would be OK to travel.

I know on the other cruise that we got the move over offer on in February - Diamond Princess, (we had a balcony) people in mini suites were also offered the move over deal . . . so it can happen.

I'd be happy if they let us miss this cruise and have a credit to be used at a future date. Either in 12 months or so, or if the chemo works and he improves, we could look at doing short, last minute cruises.

Princess were extremely helpful last time, as I'm pretty sure you can't usually request a move over offer, which we did and received. So, to date, I've been very impressed with their understanding.

Many thanks for all your support, it is greatly appreciated. Keep it coming, because it worked today!

Tamarah ,

I am new to Princess and taking my first ship next January . I went through a similar situation with a 48 week chemo run . Yuckk ! We were booked at the time with Carnival and had to pay a fee to move the date but it really gave me something to look forward to . Since they are Princess to this might work the same way but we had a different itinerary than originally planned it worked out better as I did need to take it easy for quite a while . Probably not much help I just felt compelled to respond and send you love and hugs from the little state of Delaware . I truly hope you both get your cruise and all works out ! Please take care of yourself as well , my wife did nothing but worry and run herself down , which doesn't help at all !

Take care and be blessed ! You are in my prayers ! Ted

Hi Ted, thanks so much for your message all the way for Delaware!!!. I can't imagine a 48 week chemo run - that must have been very hard on you and your family. My partner thinks it is harder on me than it is on him . . . and he's probably right! We are justing spending heaps of time together at the hospice and having fun and doing what we can each day. Today we managed a walk around the hospital grounds in the sun, and that was so nice. I really hope you are OK now. I think you have to go through cancer (or be a carer/partner) to someone who has it, to really understand what it's like. We thought we did, but nothing prepares you for when it happens to you and your family.

We have only done 2 cycles so far, which are every 3 weeks. After the next cycle we will have more CAT scans to see if it is working, if not, we will probably change to a different chemo, which apparently doesn't knock you around as much.

What cruise are you doing in January and where are you going??? I am sure you will love Princess and have an amazing cruise. Have you been on other cruises?

Have a great time and thanks so much for your kind words.

Prayers for your partner and you.:) I hope that you get Princess to "do the right thing." :):)

When we book a cruise, our TA advises if we are going to buy insurance to do it at booking, (the price does not change, so why not) as it covers pre-existing conditions. Now there may be exclusions in the policy but we feel it is worth it to buy at booking rather than wait and not have that coverage.

When we book a cruise, our TA advises if we are going to buy insurance to do it at booking, (the price does not change, so why not) as it covers pre-existing conditions. Now there may be exclusions in the policy but we feel it is worth it to buy at booking rather than wait and not have that coverage.

While this is true (for in the US), most insurance companies (in the US) say you MUST be able to travel (healthy, stable with or with out pre-existing conditions) the day you buy insurance in order for the policy to be in-effect.

For example, you can't be scheduled for bypass surgery for heart problems and book a cruise 10 months out and buy insurance at time of booking because you are not healthy the day of booking even though you will be fine 10 months later.

You keep trying.....gotta give you credit for that

:D:D:D

While this is true (for in the US), most insurance companies (in the US) say you MUST be able to travel (healthy, stable with or with out pre-existing conditions) the day you buy insurance in order for the policy to be in-effect.

For example, you can't be scheduled for bypass surgery for heart problems and book a cruise 10 months out and buy insurance at time of booking because you are not healthy the day of booking even though you will be fine 10 months later.

Another good piece of info. :) We are good to go:cool::)

Archived