Interactive Preview/Review of Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean May 2 to 9, 2010

7x5090g

Good evening folks.. I am starting this thread as a preview of the cruise 8 days from now. Once I come back I'll be posting a detailed review on a day by day basis. I would love to actually provide the review "live" from the Emerald but internet prices are a little on the "expensive" side and I much rather spend it on drinks :-).

It is exactly 7 days before our 3 hour trip to Florida. 6 yo DS is excited about the plane ride again and ready for his third cruise. There are 7 of us (DW, DS and yours truly, together with In-Laws and Out-laws). We are staying one night in FLL before the cruise..

This is my 5th cruise with a 5th cruise line. Have always wanted to try Princess (inspired by the infamous Love Boat) but each time some other deals popped up and we ended up booking with her competitors.. We chose the Emerald this time as there are 2 ports that we have never set foot on. One of course is Princess Cay and the other being Grand Turk. I have pre-booked one excursion through Princess - St John Trunk Bay Snorkeling tour. Although this is my third time stopping in St Thomas, it'll be our first trip to St John. We also reserved a group tour with Benard in Sint Maarten (http://bernardstours.com/interest.htm). The other 2 new ports will be beach days with no excursions.

.There is going to be a group of CCers that I am going to meet. We have been active on our roll call thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=837104) which should be wrapping up in another 7 days (trying to see if we will hit the 400 post mark before we depart :D

More to come. Later........:cool:

Thank you for the preview! And I certainly understand about allocating funds to drinks versus internet -- by the way, I highly recommend the London Lemonade, a martini in either Crooners or the Wheelhouse martini menu and the Citrus Bellini found only in Adagio. Outstanding! Enjoy your last week of anticipation . . .

My guest room is a complete disaster after I laid out everything I need to bring. Not to mention that I also need to finish packing by Thursday as my parents are coming over to sleep in that room the night before we depart for the airport. Our flight is at 8:10 Sat morning and these days with transborder flights, I really need to be at the airport by 5:30 to allow time for parking, going through US immigration, Customs followed by heavy security screening. Inconvenient it may seem but these guys/gals are there to keep us safe so hats off to all of them.

Here's a picture from Emerald's Bridge Cam this morning. Looking at the 17th Street bridge.

PrincessBridgeCam042510.jpg

To those pax getting on the ship today, take good care of her. Will be there in a week.:D

We did his tour in 2007 and highly recommend it. He German speaks good English and will tell you about the island with all of the details.

Tell him Santa says hi. We ate at a local restaurant on a mountain with a spectacular view.

Also ask why the local cattle are so contented.

Excellent choice!

Attached is a picture

100_0780.jpg.7db005b379793d0066704402a44de12b.jpg

Good evening folks.. I am starting this thread as a preview of the cruise 8 days from now. Once I come back I'll be posting a detailed review on a day by day basis. I would love to actually provide the review "live" from the Emerald but internet prices are a little on the "expensive" side and I much rather spend it on drinks :-).

It is exactly 7 days before our 3 hour trip to Florida. 6 yo DS is excited about the plane ride again and ready for his third cruise. There are 7 of us (DW, DS and yours truly, together with In-Laws and Out-laws). We are staying one night in FLL before the cruise..

This is my 5th cruise with a 5th cruise line. Have always wanted to try Princess (inspired by the infamous Love Boat) but each time some other deals popped up and we ended up booking with her competitors.. We chose the Emerald this time as there are 2 ports that we have never set foot on. One of course is Princess Cay and the other being Grand Turk. I have pre-booked one excursion through Princess - St John Trunk Bay Snorkeling tour. Although this is my third time stopping in St Thomas, it'll be our first trip to St John. We also reserved a group tour with Benard in Sint Maarten (http://bernardstours.com/interest.htm). The other 2 new ports will be beach days with no excursions.

.There is going to be a group of CCers that I am going to meet. We have been active on our roll call thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=837104) which should be wrapping up in another 7 days (trying to see if we will hit the 400 post mark before we depart :D

More to come. Later........:cool:

Have a wonderful cruise.....:):):)

Bob

DH and I are seriously considering the Emerald...can't wait to hear your review of the Eastern route. The July 4th Western itinerary works better for me work-wise, but DH REALLY wants to go to St. John...so we might book for June 27th. Hope that you have a great trip!

Thanks for all well wishes. Holy moly it's 01:15 Eastern time and I got to go to work in 5 hours :eek:.

The 7 of us had a little discussion and the other 2 men decided to forego the tuxedos and my DW is also convincing me to drop it too:confused::mad:...

Going to bed...

We Will be sailing on saturday and considering the emerald next year

Funinla, we will be going on the Sapphire a couple of weeks after you, and will be going on the Emerald this fall for 20 days. Both times to travel with our friend Arny (the singer/pianist in Crooners - don't forget to stop in and hear him on the Sapphire. He gets on when you do.)

Last work week of the month and would be the busiest as I need to cramp in 10 days worth of work in 5. Just phoned Princess to find out where we are on the wait list for traditional dining - 62 is the number and it hasn't moved for a month. Looks like we are SOL for TD.

Taking a peek at Emerald's bridgecam and looks like they made it to Princess Cay (inclement weather had forced her to drop the port call a couple of times last month).

Will continue packing later tonight...

2037918280_EmeraldBridgeCamApr26.JPG.89926ff5b2c8e90069f9b80be0ad7d40.JPG

First, have a wonderful Cruise!

I look forward to reading your review. I’m especially interested in your impressions of the St John Trunk Bay Snorkeling tour. We will be on Emerald in Feb 2011 making a stop in St Thomas. We have a group of 7 that are also interested in going to St John’s / Trunk Bay and this excursion sounds interesting.

YES, finally got through Monday and Tuesday. Princess Cruise personalizer is now closed and I printed off my travel summary. All special requests including distilled water for C-PAP machines (yes one family member in each of the 3 staterooms require the use of it) and egg carton mattress top have been noted on the travel summary.

Looks like we are all set to go except DW still has to provide her clothings in order for me to complete the packing process.:mad:

BTW, from a review I just read http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1190004, it appears that there is a “Sea Excursion” that I may want to consider THE ULTIMATE SHIP TOUR. Anyone else did that tour?

7x5090g I am loving your preview and can't wait fot the review. Have a great cruise, and hey if you cruise princess just 5 more times you can do a live from thread and princess will pay for it. Platinums get free internet pkgs!! :)

Good morning folks. Looks like the Emerald is comfortably docked in St Maarten this morning together with company (Sea Princess) and "Monster" of the Seas (on her last Eastern Caribbean voyage before moving to Western this coming Saturday). And yes this time next week I will not be fighting for space on the island with her but only her smaller sister, Liberty of the Seas. As a matter of fact, at everyone of the remaining 3 ports the Emerald is calling next week, it appears that we will be all alone.

untitled.jpg

Photo Courtesy of:

http://www.webcamgalore.com/out.php?id=2726

Last night I managed to get DW to give me everything from her wardrope that she needs for the cruise, I can finally complete the packing only to find out that I need to move up from a small suitcase to a medium suitcase. I really wanted to finish the packing before DW changes her mind on her outfits.

Forecast for Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, May 1. Partly Cloudy high 84 degrees.

4 more sleeps folks!!!

As if a small suitcase could ever be enough for DW's packing!! :rolleyes:

Oasis certainly is a monster alongside the other ships.

Have a brilliant cruise. Are you going to watch the scareyplanes over the beach at St. Maartens? :)

As if a small suitcase could ever be enough for DW's packing!! :rolleyes:

Oasis certainly is a monster alongside the other ships.

Have a brilliant cruise. Are you going to watch the scareyplanes over the beach at St. Maartens? :)

Yep I even printed out the arrival schedule for planes on May 5.

Yep I even printed out the arrival schedule for planes on May 5.

GREAT! (Why am I not surprised :D)

I want to go there. Any big planes due in whilst you're there? Please take pics and post them in your review.

Archived