White Dinner Jacket - Queen's Grill

ilovhywd

I offered to post this question for friends who will be sailing on the QM2.

Is it acceptable for the gentleman to wear a white dinner jacket in the Queen's Grill after Labor Day?

Thanks for your responses!

In this day and age, it is pretty much ok to wear what you want including a white dinner jacket for 'formal' occasions. If a gent. can wear a dark suit and tie as an option, a white dinner jacket is ok, And certainly not ridiculous.

If gentlemen were truly in Formal Wear. they would wear top hats and tails, and I might add ladies would wear formal gowns, and frankly you see few of either on 'formal' evenings.

Mike.

I quite agree Mike. I wear both black & white Dinner Jacket on a crossing & in warmer climes as I did last november on QM2 when I started on a crossing & then stayed on board en route to Panama & the Caribbean.

Believe you me I've seen top hat & tails in the Queens Grill QE2 from a regular passenger from the States who I saw once again last November on board QM2 he was in QG & I was in PG so alas I did get a chance to see if he wore the same attire on formal nights on board QM2!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I offered to post this question for friends who will be sailing on the QM2.

Is it acceptable for the gentleman to wear a white dinner jacket in the Queen's Grill after Labor Day?

Thanks for your responses!

Yes it is acceptable. :D

A white (or ivory) dinner jacket is perfectly acceptable, particularly after memorial day and always in the tropics.

It is true that in days gone by the white dinner jacket was only wore in the tropics, but the standard has certainly changed as white dinner jackets are widely worn in the summer months in both Europe and NA (glynbourne and the Salzburg festival being just two examples)

if you have one and want to wear one by all means do. No one who wears their clothes with confidence ever looks ridiculous.

Correct or not, I would prefer a WDJ over say, the jeans and undershirt style of a scullery worker.

Personally, it would add a little contrast to all the black or dark finery.

Also, is it not advisable to follow the color of the Officers?

....numerous experts advise using discretion north of the Mason-Dixon line in order to avoid dressing for effect rather than for the occasion. Indeed, black-tie guests north of the 49th parallel (sic -39th) would be wise to heed the example of their British cousins who do not consider the United Kingdom's temperate climate to be appropriate for white formal wear at any time of the year. And if a man is particularly serious about formal convention, a white jacket should never be worn in the city “unless one has a napkin over his arm or a saxophone up to his lips” in the words of Esquire magazine.

Nuff said...

Also, is it not advisable to follow the color of the Officers?

In the early days of my travelling by sea (1970s) that was indeed an indicator. Back then there was no concern about what nights were formal, semi-formal, smart casual. For one thing, it was a minimum of jacket and tie at night, even in Tourist Class. The old rule was that in First Class passengers dressed for dinner every night except the first, last, any night in port and Sundays. In my experience the "except Sundays" rule was not adhered to on the Transatlantic runs due to the short crossings.

Although generally there was no dress code published in the daily programmes, traditional lines such as the Union-Castle Line did offer a hint: "Tonight, the captain and his officers will be wearing white mess dress" or navy mess dress, or white or navy uniforms as the case may be. Even on nights when the officers were in "whites" black DJs outnumbered the white ones, but no-one would wear a white DJ when the officers were in "navy." On the Union-Castle Line, in case there was any doubt, whilst the passengers were at tea the cabin steward would lay out the gentleman's dinner clothes on the bed. Yes, that was a long time ago, but the dress codes were less stressful.

In my experience the "except Sundays" rule was not adhered to on the Transatlantic runs due to the short crossings.

On the old Queen's 'Five night Ferry' (sail Wednesday, arrive Monday morning - the 'long weekend') it did not matter as Sunday was the last night - so there were only 3 formal nights per crossing (much as today).

Archived