Cigarette smokers beware!

Larry Barry

Small glitch kept us from passing cutoms! We were sold Marlboro Lights cigarettes on the Princess Coral from their liquor store which were delivered to our cabin the night before our cruise ended. Unfortunately, Princess had inadvertently purchased and sold to us cigarettes marked in small print, "Made in USA for consumption outside USA." Customs officials were very kind to us and instead of confiscating and destroying our two cartons of cigarettes, called for a Princess rep to come retrieve them and return our money. They have promised to contact Princess and the Princess rep has promised to try to keep this from happening again. Our money was returned, ultimately, but not before we were a bit nervous about making our flight on time! We have contacted Princess.

Customs officials were very kind to us and instead of confiscating and destroying our two cartons of cigarettes, called for a Princess rep to come retrieve them and return our money.

Imagine if you had purchased them in port.

I wonder if princess purchases those to be sold by the pack in bars.

Imagine if you had purchased them in port.

I wonder if princess purchases those to be sold by the pack in bars.

They were non FSC cigarettes and the U.S. is only selling FSC cigarettes now. There may still be states that don't require them but not many now. The old ones are still out there but hard to come by. Look at the bar code on packs now and you will probably see FSC. Fire Safe Cigarettes is the most common name but not the official name.

Unfortunately, Princess had inadvertently purchased and sold to us cigarettes marked in small print, "Made in USA for consumption outside USA."

Now this is interesting, as I just checked my wife's cigarettes from our recent Emerald Princess cruise, and indeed her packs bear that same statement "Made in USA for consumption outside USA."

I remember noticing this on another cruise once, and my DW promptly admonished me to mind my own business. (Nothing new there!)

Smokers can check their labels for themselves, but I believe there's nothing new about this. For whatever reason, Princess is selling a product taxed in a manner that it is only allowed to be consumed outside the USA, and then witholding delivery until you're effectively in violation of the rule.

I'm not a drinker, so haven't spent much time reading those labels, but I'm left wondering if this statement isn't the same for Duty Free alcohol sold onboard?

It seems to me that Princess should inform their passengers prior to buying the cigarettes to avoid this problem at customs. Thanks for the heads up, I will pay attention on my July cruise to Alaska, as I usually purchase between 10 - 20 cartons.

Hmm I was just on a carnival ship out of mobile the first part of feb. You were allowed to buy cigarettes on the ship and take them to your room and smoke them. Why does princess take the cigarettes and not give them back to the end of the cruise? You can smoke in certain areas of the ship during the cruise.

debkjw

Hmm I was just on a carnival ship out of mobile the first part of feb. You were allowed to buy cigarettes on the ship and take them to your room and smoke them. Why does princess take the cigarettes and not give them back to the end of the cruise? You can smoke in certain areas of the ship during the cruise.

debkjw

They do the same with the liquor.

debkjw

Individual packs bought at the bars may be taken and smoked onboard.

Cartons purchased in the shop onboard are held until the last evening.

Why?-- The profits made from selling individual packs.

Small glitch kept us from passing cutoms! We were sold Marlboro Lights cigarettes on the Princess Coral from their liquor store which were delivered to our cabin the night before our cruise ended. Unfortunately, Princess had inadvertently purchased and sold to us cigarettes marked in small print, "Made in USA for consumption outside USA." Customs officials were very kind to us and instead of confiscating and destroying our two cartons of cigarettes, called for a Princess rep to come retrieve them and return our money. They have promised to contact Princess and the Princess rep has promised to try to keep this from happening again. Our money was returned, ultimately, but not before we were a bit nervous about making our flight on time! We have contacted Princess.

They were probably cigarettes that were produced outside of the USA.

Lots of cigarettes, brand name products, are produced and sold outside of the USA.

They were probably cigarettes that were produced outside of the USA.

Lots of cigarettes, brand name products, are produced and sold outside of the USA.

OP said in small print:

"Made in USA for consumption outside USA."

Quote"Made in USA for consumption outside USA."

So do I take it that if your American and managed to get these through customes and then tried to smoke them in the US they would vanish in a puff of smoke LOL.

Individual packs bought at the bars may be taken and smoked onboard.

Cartons purchased in the shop onboard are held until the last evening.

Why?-- The profits made from selling individual packs.

Doesn't make too much sense. Bring enough till first port of call and buy them then for onboard.

Doesn't make too much sense. Bring enough till first port of call and buy them then for onboard.

Shhhhhhhhhhh. Don't say this too loudly. Princess will start holding

cigarettes bought in port until the last night, "for your convenience".

Archived