Which is better family wise?

SuperCoolOne

So, I am daydreaming and looking at itineraries for the 2012 april break.

There are 2 I am looking at right now, a 9 day on royal carribean explorer of the seas that leaves out of New Jersey which means we could drive there and back or a 7 day on the Carnival Dream out of florida, which means flying.

The prices are comparable. We just got off the Carnival Fascination and everyone had a good time.

Has anyone been on both of these with kids and can give me a good comparison?

Both are port intensive and places we haven't been before. By then, our kids will be almost 5, 7, and almost 9 so we can do a bit more.

I was just wondering about the ships themselves and the camps onboard. I also found an itinerary on RCCL Oasis but it is too pricey.

I think I am leaning towards the Dream which is a 7 day itinerary but we wouldn't be dealing with the possible cold NY/ NJ weather in April plus it is a newer ship.

We are now debating on the Liberty Of the Seas out of Miami or the Dream out of Port Canaveral for this fall. We have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. They both were on the Disney Magic last year and loved it but it is too pricey.

I am thinking the Liberty would be better with the water park area for the at seas days. I can not find too much info on the Dream yet. Both are priced similar.

Another factor in this is we will probably go away for 10-11 days do we want to do a pre and post cruise stay. Going out of Port Canaveral makes it easier if we run to Disney World for a few days to make up for the non Disney cruise). The Liberty goes out of Miami and that is ~5 hour drive that I really do not want to do on vacation.

What to do - what to do?

We have just returned from the Liberty with a 5 and 6 year old. They had a great time, the kids pool was great (H2O Zone). Lots of splashing and playing in there.

My 6 year old was old enough to do the rock climbing wall, she enjoyed that.

They both went skating on the ice rink and loved the mini golf.

They were both too small to do the boogie boarding on the Flowrider though (need to be 52 inches).

They both enjoyed the kids club (Adventure Ocean) which included a movie night and a Pirate Parade.

The RCL ships (Voyager class and higher) have the rock climbing wall, skating rink which is fun for the adult and the kids.

I have been on Carnival but about 10 years ago so I couldn't compare to their newer ships but we are big RCL fans.

Hope that helps.

Right, I guess for us it wasn't a big deal as our kids aren't really into Disney so we can get away from paying the premium!!!!!

As an aside, we flew into Fort Lauderdale (cheaper) and took a transfer to Miami pier ($95 each way for the four of us).

My problem is we went on the Disney Magic and now going to a ship without the Mouse.

I totally understand this one. We are also trying our first cruise without the mouse this year. I really hope Disney's prices come down after the new ships come out. We LOVE cruising on the Magic.... ahhhh wonderful.

I haven't been on either, but I'd much rather drive to a port than fly! We did the Disney cruise after our WDW trip, and got off the ship around 9. We didn't get home until after dinner (flight was delayed because the planes were overbooked - busy time). We also left out of NYC - 20 minutes to the port, didn't have to worry about limiting luggage, and it was SO cool seeing the statue and going under the bridge. When we got back into NYC, got off the ship around 8, and were home by 8:30.

Driving to NYC or to NJ would take us 6-9 hours from upstate NY. We do this drive at least 2ce a year.

I agree that driving would be better than flying but either way, it isn't a short trip for us and the water/ weather can still be chilly in April. Heck, it is below 60 here today and I am almost ready to turn the heat back on.

Archived