Star left San Pedro 2 hrs late and went backwards to the Ocean

Redheel Girl

Does anyone know why the "Star" left San Pedro almost 2 hours late and it sailed out Aft first. I have never seen this happen when I have gone down to see the ship leave. We watched the "Rcc ship leave and then the "Golden Princess" sail and stood there waiting for the " Star" to leave. It was Docked farther downthe Channel then usual and it was tied up on its port side which is very different than its usual docking Starboard side. I was there with JVSNANA and DH and they are leaving on may 1 in the Villa Suite on the Star and I will be on it October 8th for the Panama Canal. Can you Cruisers explain why the Ship would sail oout to sea backwards. It was quite a sight.

Does anyone know why the "Star" left San Pedro almost 2 hours late and it sailed out Aft first. I have never seen this happen when I have gone down to see the ship leave. We watched the "Rcc ship leave and then the "Golden Princess" sail and stood there waiting for the " Star" to leave. It was Docked farther downthe Channel then usual and it was tied up on its port side which is very different than its usual docking Starboard side. I was there with JVSNANA and DH and they are leaving on may 1 in the Villa Suite on the Star and I will be on it October 8th for the Panama Canal. Can you Cruisers explain why the Ship would sail oout to sea backwards. It was quite a sight.

It depends on which side of the ship needs painting or service. Lars usually backs in to San Pedro, but if need be, he will go in bow first. He also will back out of the channel and turn around just inside the breakwater to save time. If he doesn't do that, he would have to go up under the Vincent Thomas bridge to the turning basin to turn around. Actually, the Star steers better backward than forward because of the thrusters in the front of the ship.

I don't know the reason for the delay in leaving.

Don't know why...but what a fun day we had watching the Star set sail for Mexico:)

I'm sure the pax in the AFT cabins had a treat being in the FRONT for sail away:D

The people in the aft cabins may get the same views when they return unless they need paint touch up or some other work on one side of the ship. Lars likes to back in to San Pedro. It expedites the departure.

We sailed out on the Star in March and the channel there is really not wide- especially if there are container ships on the south side docks- perhaps it was easier to back out and then turn then try to turn on a dime where currents and winds could make the process dicey. The other possibility is that they may have been having some sort of problem with one of the thrusters which would have made a pivot maneuver impossible.

The people in the aft cabins may get the same views when they return unless they need paint touch up or some other work on one side of the ship. Lars likes to back in to San Pedro. It expedites the departure.

So the best if both worlds for the AFT and FORWARD cabins:D They will get to see what's coming AND going:D:D:D

In all likelyhood, they probably pulled into San Pedro bow first so that some of the new cabins on the port side could be loaded onto the ship.

This might also explain the small delay in their departure time as any windows removed for the insertion of cabins would have to be reinstalled before they left.

In all likelyhood, they probably pulled into San Pedro bow first so that some of the new cabins on the port side could be loaded onto the ship.

This might also explain the small delay in their departure time as any windows removed for the insertion of cabins would have to be reinstalled before they left.

Awwww.... now that makes since!

Makes sense:) Here's a photo I snapped of a crane we saw unloading a "sea train" from the Star yesterday. Can't wait till Saturday when we are on board to see some of the changes!

1143655522_IMG_0022(Small).jpg.678a406098bcc8d81cacad941066861a.jpg

Makes sense:) Here's a photo I snapped of a crane we saw unloading a "sea train" from the Star yesterday. Can't wait till Saturday when we are on board to see some of the changes!

If you don't want to wait until Saturday, the changes have been available since early March here:

http://sites.google.com/site/norwegianstarupgrades

Hi fellow Cruiser's..Great answers. There was a Crane lifting things into the ship. So that explains why they were late. And I have never seen a Ship sail that far backwards but I can understand from what you said about turning around because a huge Container Ship arrived a short while before the Star was able to leave and it could have been blocking the way. I felt sorry for the people who had booked Starboard Cabins Thinking that they would be on the Ports of Call side and get to wave at the crowd that likes up there to wave at the Ships as they sail away.:p:D

Another reason that the ship may have left late.. and I am only taking a guess here.. but wasn't this launch the begging of it's repo cruise to Alaska? I know last Nov on the Dawn it was an extended repo cruise and the ship was late leaving because they had to bring aboard a lot more provisions than normal and had to find places to put all of the provisions until they could be put away in their normal places. I am just guessing that this is the beginning of the repo cruise because I thought the first Alaskan cruise was May 1st or some where there abouts.

It's like your car. When you go backwards it takes miles off the odometer so when you go to sell it it appears to have less wear and tear on the engines.

Hee hee. Yeah, like that is really true. hah hah :D

Another reason that the ship may have left late.. and I am only taking a guess here.. but wasn't this launch the begging of it's repo cruise to Alaska? I know last Nov on the Dawn it was an extended repo cruise and the ship was late leaving because they had to bring aboard a lot more provisions than normal and had to find places to put all of the provisions until they could be put away in their normal places. I am just guessing that this is the beginning of the repo cruise because I thought the first Alaskan cruise was May 1st or some where there abouts.

yes Alaska is May 1st! I'll be aboard! Can't wait!

The Alaska Repo is May 1st out of San Pedro :) We'll be on that one this Saturday :D This was a 6 day Mexican Riverea, but we did see several people arriving late to board the ship...maybe that was the delay?

Archived