Celebration - questions ??

Hi All - just 16 weeks to our 1st Thomson cruise - soon time to start looking at the wardrobe :D. I am a cold creature, hence enjoying holidaying in the scorching Med August sunshine, where I just about manage to warm up. I was wondering about the air-con on Celebration - will i be comfortable, or shivering everywhere ?

Also - how casual is evening dress in main restaurant ? Never a problem for me as I enjoy dressing up for the evening, and DH manages Ok with trousers and shirt, but what about our 13 year old DS - will he be able to get away with smart 3/4 length trousers and a shirt ? I know about making an extra effort on formal nights - again not a problem for me, but we are concious of luggage limits, and with an extra week on land after a week at sea, if I can get away without having to pack 2 x mens suits then so much the better.

Also - how much of the ship has been recently renovated - I think I read about some refurbishing being done a year or two ago, so hoping we are lucky in that our deluxe deck 7 cabin may have benefitted with a re-vamp, and are not one of those who complain about old grey towels and mouldy bathrooms.

As always - for ever grateful for any info.

Fig x

I've never noticed it being too cold or too hot on Celebration or Spirit (her sister ship) ..

I always reckon on 'smart casual', in the restaurant on casual evenings....what you would wear out to a restaurant at home...as for formal evenings most men wear evening suit or dark lounge suit and boys wear trousers and shirt and tie (some boys even wear evening suits ) ....you could dine in the buffet restaurant on formal night which would save the luggage!!

We did a week on land before our last cruise (on Spirit) and I did a load of washing in the launderette on our first day which saw us through the week and washed underwear each evening which dried overnight in the bathroom....there is a line over the bath !!

Not sure about the refurbishment as we haven't been on her lately!!

Hi All - just 16 weeks to our 1st Thomson cruise - soon time to start looking at the wardrobe :D. I am a cold creature, hence enjoying holidaying in the scorching Med August sunshine, where I just about manage to warm up. I was wondering about the air-con on Celebration - will i be comfortable, or shivering everywhere ?

Also - how casual is evening dress in main restaurant ? Never a problem for me as I enjoy dressing up for the evening, and DH manages Ok with trousers and shirt, but what about our 13 year old DS - will he be able to get away with smart 3/4 length trousers and a shirt ? I know about making an extra effort on formal nights - again not a problem for me, but we are concious of luggage limits, and with an extra week on land after a week at sea, if I can get away without having to pack 2 x mens suits then so much the better.

Also - how much of the ship has been recently renovated - I think I read about some refurbishing being done a year or two ago, so hoping we are lucky in that our deluxe deck 7 cabin may have benefitted with a re-vamp, and are not one of those who complain about old grey towels and mouldy bathrooms.

As always - for ever grateful for any info.

Fig x

hi

Air conditioning is adjustable in your own cabin so turn the heat up - ask the stewrd to show you which way to turn the dial for it to be warmer as believe it or not it is not that obvious !

Your son's clothes will be just about ok if they are as you state but they would be better at full length in the evening. Formal night equals jacket and shirt with tie as a minimum really. No tie equals the odd one out !

Old grey towels are a thing of the past on the Celebration now but the cabins have had little work done to them.I doubt you will come back reporting mould but near in mind it will not be like new. The renovations were to public areas and public toilets etc

have a great cruise - must say in my opinion out of school hols your son would be a little bit on his own as he is too old for the kids club and there tends to be few teenagers unless you are lucky outside school hol periods. Should be ok in August though but would expect more kids up to age 11 than 12 to 17.

There will be plenty of kids. NI Schools finish 30th Jun and Scottish Schools finish around the same time. Only the English have to wait till the 25th (ish) of July. hehe

Were on the Celbration on the 5th July. My daughter 12 will find loads of wee pals to hang out with. Never been an issue anytime.:p

Hi Fig

We have had deluxe cabins on both the Spirit and the Celebration and have never had grey towels or mould in the bathroom.

There can be some areas that can be a little cooler in the evening with the air con.that is until the alcohol kicks in:) but just a light wrap will keep you warm. You sound just like my hubby he is always cold, complete opposite to me so we are always arguing about the air con.:)

Youv'e picked a great ship we were on her last May and had a brill time in fact we had only been back a couple of days when we booked to go on her again this May and I can't wait. 2 weeks this time:D As said before though just don't expect luxury.

Mary

PS if you want to know anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Archived