La Choza in Cozumel

JRock59

OK so I know this will get moved over to the Ports board but maybe I'll get an answer before it goes........A few Cruises back we had a crew member (an officer) tell us we had to try La Choza's in Cozumel. He knows we're Poncho's fans and suggested we try something different. We cruise in 13 days and are looking to try it out this time. Anyone been there? What's your thoughts on the food? Once you get down to the main plaza can you walk to it? How far is it and would you happen to have directions? THANK YOU in advance for any help with this! :)

La Choza is a fine choice for straight ahead Mexican food. Good food, friendly service. Easy walk from the town square. Just ask anyone.

My favorite inexpensive food on the island is El Moro. It's a short cab ride from the city center down a narrow street and not much to look at when you get there, but the food is wonderful, with a Mayan twist. I'll be there in a couple of weeks and that's where I'm heading when the ship docks.

My favorite upscale joint on Cozumel is La Verandah, but I'm not sure if they're open for lunch. Great gulf lobster and ceasar salad made tableside with raw eggs. Awesome desserts made tableside.

Loved La Choza......yes you can walk to it not sure the street name but all the locals eat there so ask one of them.Its only about three blocks off the main street.Yes it also is becoming very popular,when we first started going only locals knew about it.We always shared the fajitas my hubby and I.Haven't been in about two years so don't know if the popularity has made the portions get littler,some places it works like that.Enjoy!!!

Kimberley

Loved La Choza......yes you can walk to it not sure the street name but all the locals eat there so ask one of them.Its only about three blocks off the main street.Yes it also is becoming very popular,when we first started going only locals knew about it.We always shared the fajitas my hubby and I.Haven't been in about two years so don't know if the popularity has made the portions get littler,some places it works like that.Enjoy!!!

Kimberley

OMG, us too. When we first started going about 5 or 6 years ago, we would be the only Americans in there. Although we have been to Cozumel, haven't been there in a while and although will be back in August spending the day at Nachi so won't be back again too.

Happy they are getting the business but I loved the fact that it was not touristy when we use to go.

Have fun. The guac. is great!

OMG, us too. When we first started going about 5 or 6 years ago, we would be the only Americans in there. Although we have been to Cozumel, haven't been there in a while and although will be back in August spending the day at Nachi so won't be back again too.

Happy they are getting the business but I loved the fact that it was not touristy when we use to go.

Have fun. The guac. is great!

JS and mylove...if you loved Nachi before...when in Costa Maya try MayaChan. They have a website http://costamayabeachresort.com/ and there are reviews and picture on the Costa Maya boards.

OK so I know this will get moved over to the Ports board but maybe I'll get an answer before it goes........A few Cruises back we had a crew member (an officer) tell us we had to try La Choza's in Cozumel. He knows we're Poncho's fans and suggested we try something different. We cruise in 13 days and are looking to try it out this time. Anyone been there? What's your thoughts on the food? Once you get down to the main plaza can you walk to it? How far is it and would you happen to have directions? THANK YOU in advance for any help with this! :)

Jrock..a good map on this thread...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1062897&highlight=local+food

see 5to cruise's post on page 2

crew

Another vote for La Choza. We were in Coz back in January, wandering the back streets, as we usually do, and asking locals for a recommendation, and this one was unanimous.

It was mostly locals eating lunch, with some touristas like us: a good mix. One of our favorite dishes is mole poblano, and very few places do an authentic version of this dish, but the one at La Choza was excellent, as was the Aztec Soup.

Good drinks and clean bathrooms, and the bill for the two of us, with tip, was about $50.00.

Archived