Airport Beach

running girl

I was trying to think of the name of the beach that is at the end of the runway . Also I was looking at Bernard's tours but it doesn't look like he will just drop you off there and pick you up. Does anyone know of a good taxi service that can be set up ahead of time?

Maho Beach, it is something not to be missed. We went last year and simply caught a cab at the end of the pier...there are people stading around asking where you want to go and they will flag down a cab for you.

Our cab driver dropped us off at the beach and asked what time we would like to go back to the ship, we gave him a time and he was there waiting for us right on time!

• 2 weeks later...

Our cab driver dropped us off at the beach and asked what time we would like to go back to the ship, we gave him a time and he was there waiting for us right on time!

Good to know, thanks. Do the cabs accept US cash?

I haven't shown the photos to my wife yet, she will probably think I'm nuts to want to go here. We can surf youtube via our TV, so I think I will find some videos and watch them.

I was trying to think of the name of the beach that is at the end of the runway . Also I was looking at Bernard's tours but it doesn't look like he will just drop you off there and pick you up. Does anyone know of a good taxi service that can be set up ahead of time?

Maho beach! We will be there one week from tonight!!!! :D

Cabs don't usually wait for return trips at Sunset Bar, where most of the airplane shots are taken. They usually do wait for fares at the high rise hotel in the background of the shots, a short walk along the access road.

My shot of this spot

2373749490096246620S500x500Q85.jpg

We took a cab from downtown Philipsburg, not the pier. I think it was around $20 or a little less. My memory is really poor with remembering those details, especially several months later.

When we wanted to leave, we went around the corner from the Sunset Bar & Grill and saw a few cabs waiting there. The one we asked said he was waiting for someone, but he thought he had time to get us back to the pier and return in time for that specific someone so he gave us a ride. The other idea is to take the card of whoever drove you to Maho and have someone at the bar give them a call to come get you when you're ready. Plan on giving yourself a couple hours to get back as traffic can be pretty bad, especially if the drawbridge goes up.

Hi,

We got our taxi from downtown Phillisburg to, although there was loads waiting as you got off the ship. We just asked the taxi driver who took us to come back at a certain time and he did so there was no worry. Like the above post said do give yourself plenty of time to get back, one couple who we talked to on the beach and who was on our ship took over 2 hours to get back and nearly missed the ship altogether and they onle left 10 minutes after us!!

It's well worth it and there ws loads of flights the day we went.

If you caught enough landings in 15 minutes to make it worthwhile you had GREAT timing.

BTW, recent taxi rates show that a private taxi for two should have been $18 each way.

th_DSCN3855.jpg

(click)

gary

I don't know why it was $45 but my husband just had to go, so we did it.

We saw a couple of landings, but nothing major. We went in the morning and most of the larger aircraft arrive in the afternoon. We saw an American Airlines 757 leave. Not as exciting...

I just got back from my cruise yesterday. We went to Maho Beach this past Thursday, the 13th. We loved it and I would highly recommend going. The water was so pretty and warm and had big enough waves to be fun but not dangerous. There was one that came out of nowhere though that knocked this poor lady on her butt. :)

We got there just before noon and left shortly after 2:30 pm. The majority of the flights came in during that time. There were only a few coming in after that but they were coming in after 4 pm and 6 pm. Our ship left at 4:30 or 5 pm. If yours leaves around that time I would recommend leaving the beach by 2:15.

There were TONS of taxi drivers waiting desperately at the Sunset Grill to give people rides back to the port. They were parked right next to the Sunset Grill which on Maho Beach. They were all sitting at tables in orange shirts. One actually approached me to see if I needed a ride back and I did. I ended up in a van with 10 other people who were traveling together. They were quoted $8 for a ride back to the port but since they were a guaranteed big group (they try to get as many people in their taxis as they can) they got him to take us back for $6 per person. You will not have a problem getting a ride back to the pier from the Sunset Grill.

We did an excursion earlier in the day (didn't book it through the cruise line) and the driver who took us from the port to the excursion office agreed to take us from the excursion office to Maho Beach. He did come back for us and said he would pick us up at Maho around 2:15 pm. He never showed up which is how we ended up with the group of 10.

The guy who drove us wasn't a taxi driver (I still don't know how he was affiliated with the excursion company) so maybe he's not a good example. I just wouldn't count on the drivers coming back for you. Have a back up plan. The taxi driver who drove us back was there to pick up 6 people who he agreed to come back for but they ditched him. It proves there are drivers who will come back for you. Like I said though, there were TONS of taxis waiting around 2 pm to take people back. Thankfully the day we were there was a Catholic holiday so most people had the day off so there was hardly any traffic. We got back to port rather quickly - about 25 to 30 min. There were no planes coming in after 2:15 anyway so it was a good time to leave.

Archived