What are the best alternatives?

We've cruised three times with Thomsons, but we haven't tried anyone else.

We love the Thomson entertainment, food and "spirit" but the ships are a bit run down and we wondered about alternatives.

But having heard stories about some crusies being hard sell on board, and the staff maneuvering to get tips etc. and the food being terrible, and the cruisers on board being rude and offensive, are we better staying with Thomsons?

Can anyone recommend an alternative line that offers a relaxing holiday without "spend, spend spend" ?

Thanks

Graham

We love the Thomson entertainment, food and "spirit" but the ships are a bit run down and we wondered about alternatives.

But having heard stories about some crusies being hard sell on board, and the staff maneuvering to get tips etc. and the food being terrible, and the cruisers on board being rude and offensive, are we better staying with Thomsons?

Can anyone recommend an alternative line that offers a relaxing holiday without "spend, spend spend" ?

Thanks

Graham

hi pand o are very good and drinks arnt as expensive as rci food exellent also fred olson if you dont mind smaller ship julie:)

We have cruised with Thomson but in comparison I do not think its good value. I can drive down to Southampton board a P&O ship and cruise for two weeks for just a little more than Thomson charge for a week.....:eek:

I would disagree with Smee. I have only cruised with Thomson and had wanted to try another cruise line for my next but as we are on a tight budget we will probably be sailing with Thomson again! I had been pricing up a RCI 12 night cruise for next year, for the most basic inside cabin, sailing on the cheapest date, and with early booking discount - I was going to book, until I realised that for the same cost per person I could have approx. 2.5 Thomson cruises!! :eek::D

Thanks

Graham

We have been with Pand O and Thompsons.

P and O provide a superior experience in my opinion.

They do cost more but you find yourself saying'It was worth spending that extra amount'

Similar friendly intimate atmosphere on board and they are getting less stuffy about dress codes and less rigid with dining arrangements.

Far from being rude and offensive the P and O crowd are if anything more reserved and generally quieter than Thompson's.I can only speak for their smaller ships not the Ventura.

I have enjoyed Thompsons but find P and O a better quality experience.

hi pand o are very good and drinks arnt as expensive as rci food exellent also fred olson if you dont mind smaller ship julie:)

Just watching North West Tonight and passengers disembarking from Boudicca in Liverpool complaining about Norovirus on ship. Had it 6 times on board this winter apparently. The funniest thing was an elderly lady complaining about the anti-bacterial hand wash saying "For 23 days I've had the taste of it in my mouth". Shouldn't someone have told her you're not supposed to drink it!!:eek::eek::D:D.

Just watching North West Tonight and passengers disembarking from Boudicca in Liverpool complaining about Norovirus on ship. Had it 6 times on board this winter apparently. The funniest thing was an elderly lady complaining about the anti-bacterial hand wash saying "For 23 days I've had the taste of it in my mouth". Shouldn't someone have told her you're not supposed to drink it!!:eek::eek::D:D.

Its Alcohol :D

a wee Question P+O where or second choice, Before booking on Dream no experience of Thompson cruise or P+O I chose Thompson as I was a little worried P+O would be more stuck up so to speak are P+O like that or the passengers who go on P+O silly I know but i wanted a nice atmophere:)

a wee Question P+O where or second choice, Before booking on Dream no experience of Thompson cruise or P+O I chose Thompson as I was a little worried P+O would be more stuck up so to speak are P+O like that or the passengers who go on P+O silly I know but i wanted a nice atmophere:)

No way!Pand O cruisers are not stuck up.Just normal decent folk on the whole.

I'm no snob and I thoroughly enjoyed P and O.Given the choice between Thompsons and P and O I'd go with P and O every time.Just a bit more class in every department.You pay extra but its like everything in life.You get what you pay for.

Having said that Thompson's give great value for money.

I'm not overly experienced in cruising - we are booked on our 2nd ever voyage aboard Thomson Celebration this summer - last year was our 1st cruising experince - and boy were we spoiled ! We chose Celebrity Solstice Eastern Med - fabulous itinerary, brand new huge ship, very all american glamour and glitz, but I have to say nowhere near as expensive as the P & Os, RCIs or NCLs. We got a balcony cabin, high season for around 1K less than all the others.

Thought there may have been a catch - but no - unless you take into account the extra gratuities for the drinks (15% a time). Mix of passengers - well obviously there were a lot of Americans / Canadians, but quite a few Europeans including English - everyone really friendly and in no way 'yobbish'.

We absolutely loved our cruise - totally spoilt the whole way - only reason for choosing differently this time is we wanted a week ashore post cruise and Thomson offered the perfect solution - we are not expecting the exact same cruise experience this time - although I hope it will be just as good in its own way.

Have to say I'm now looking again for 2011 and Celebrity still appear to come up more favourable in £s than the others - definately worth a look - if you dont mind BIG ships.

Archived