Choosing between three Miami Marriotts

Kikkycat

My best friend/travel companion is a Marriott employee so she's getting a good rate plus a chance to see where she could possibly transfer, and we're trying to decide based on location and what we want to do during our one day prior to our cruise in November. We've narrowed it down to these three choices.

Neither of us have been to Miami (I've been to the airport - that doesn't count). We aren't really into a "beach scene" but want to feel safe in our surroundings. Shopping isn't of interest, but lounging for a couple hours at a bar or restaurant with a nice view of water would be. We do want to spend as little money as possible (to spend more of it on the cruise). We'll probably need three meals: lunch the day we arrive, dinner that night, and breakfast the morning before we go to the pier.

We're looking at the following three Marriotts:

1. Marriott Biscayne Bay: convenience is the key here - possible view of the ships a plus. Expected taxi rate from airport in the $20-25 range and to the port from the hotel around $15-20. Would we be able to walk to somewhere with a view of water and feel safe doing so? Lesser expensive restaurants available in the small shopping area "under" the hotel area.

2. Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront (NOT South Beach, which is not affordable): being close to the ocean would be nice, but I've heard not wonderful things about the area (such as there's nothing of interest there aside from the ocean, and even that isn't as good as it could be). There is a Carrabba's onsite, which would be fine for our dinner needs. The downside is all location related - not that interesting and it's the priciest expected cab fare (research shows about $35-40 from the airport, then $25-30 from the hotel to the port).

3. Courtyard Coral Gables: There is a free shuttle from the airport, although it runs at quarter after the hour and if we're on time we arrive at 22 after the hour - no way I'm waiting at the airport that long if our timing is like that. So cab fare there would run around $25-30 then $30-35 to the port in the morning. The employee price for this hotel is the least of the three, and there are restaurants of interest within walking distance. How far is it to walk to see the bay/ocean? Would we feel safe?

Any comments on these three are appreciated. Thanks!

I stay down the street from the Marriott Biscayne at the Doubletree when in Miami on business. Very quiet area with lots of condos. Some of the rooms have a view of the port - is the pool on the roof there? :confused:

2 blocks away (Biscayne & 18th) there's a sushi place and Bin 18 - casual bistro with great food and an extensive wine and imported beer list. The bar/dining room in the Doubletree is also good, and metro -mover or cab to Bayside for more chain dining choices (Hard Rock, Bubba Gump, Chili's, Hooters, etc.) is an option for some.

Can't comment on your other options. Good luck!:)

My best friend/travel companion is a Marriott employee so she's getting a good rate plus a chance to see where she could possibly transfer, and we're trying to decide based on location and what we want to do during our one day prior to our cruise in November. We've narrowed it down to these three choices.

Neither of us have been to Miami (I've been to the airport - that doesn't count). We aren't really into a "beach scene" but want to feel safe in our surroundings. Shopping isn't of interest, but lounging for a couple hours at a bar or restaurant with a nice view of water would be. We do want to spend as little money as possible (to spend more of it on the cruise). We'll probably need three meals: lunch the day we arrive, dinner that night, and breakfast the morning before we go to the pier.

We're looking at the following three Marriotts:

1. Marriott Biscayne Bay: convenience is the key here - possible view of the ships a plus. Expected taxi rate from airport in the $20-25 range and to the port from the hotel around $15-20. Would we be able to walk to somewhere with a view of water and feel safe doing so? Lesser expensive restaurants available in the small shopping area "under" the hotel area.

2. Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront (NOT South Beach, which is not affordable): being close to the ocean would be nice, but I've heard not wonderful things about the area (such as there's nothing of interest there aside from the ocean, and even that isn't as good as it could be). There is a Carrabba's onsite, which would be fine for our dinner needs. The downside is all location related - not that interesting and it's the priciest expected cab fare (research shows about $35-40 from the airport, then $25-30 from the hotel to the port).

3. Courtyard Coral Gables: There is a free shuttle from the airport, although it runs at quarter after the hour and if we're on time we arrive at 22 after the hour - no way I'm waiting at the airport that long if our timing is like that. So cab fare there would run around $25-30 then $30-35 to the port in the morning. The employee price for this hotel is the least of the three, and there are restaurants of interest within walking distance. How far is it to walk to see the bay/ocean? Would we feel safe?

Any comments on these three are appreciated. Thanks!

I have stayed at the Biscayne Bay Marriott. If you get a bayview room, you get a nice view of the marina and the cruise ships. Cab from MIA to hotel was $24 plus tip and from hotel to POM was $10. We ate dinner at the hotel so I don't know about restaurants within walking distance but Bayside Marketplace is close by.

Archived