Veranda vs Balcony stateroom

TOSailors

Got the 2011 preview booklet and we are close to booking a cruise for next year. We are not sure whether the Veranda stateroom (larger with bigger balcony) and the butler service is worth $3500 more for the two of us? If anyone has sailed on both cat B or C and D please may we have your opinion.

I have read almost everything and nothing that I see outlines what butler service includes.

Thanks Paul

We've sailed B&C. 14 days in each. B was a "no additional cost" last minute upgrade offered by Regent (ran PG at that time). I would not pay the additional for the B given a choice. Butler brought us appetizers each evening and that was about it. Since there were 3 of us the extra room was nice but wouldn't think you'd notice much with just two of you. I'd spend the $3500 and go a day or two early so you can wring out the jet lag before the cruise and still have money left over.

Greg

Paul, you should be aware that the B veranda cabins are all in the very front of the ship, on Deck 8, the highest cabin deck. The D cabins are on Deck 6, also in the front of the ship. The C cabins run the length of the ship, on Deck 7, and so include many mid-ship cabins. Keep in mind the higher the deck the more sway of the ship, and if you are at either end you are also more likely to experience motion. If you are at all prone to mal de mer, I would take the location into consideration and take a C mid-ship cabin.

As far as butler service is concerned, this is such an informal, and service-oriented ship, I don't see how you would benefit much from a butler. All you have to do is call room service for whatever you need, and it comes in minutes. Its not like you need a butler to make reservations for you in some fancy restaurant, on ship or off ship......the cabin attendant is there to handle your laundry, or any other cabin needs..........We are going again in June in a balcony C midships, which is where I want to be, given the motion issue.

Happy sailing!

We have been on the PG four times and have always intentionally chosen an E category (window) stateroom. We have always been happy with these as they are low and midships where there is the least amount of motion. All the staterooms go to the same place and you eat the same food, etc.. As was mentioned, I would take the money I saved and add another night to my pre-cruise or another excursion, massage, whatever.

What we HAVE done is looked for a GTY category, which means that you are Guaranteed a room of at least that level, but you MIGHT get an upgrade. Just today, we got the word that (on our June sailing) our cheapie category E is being upgraded to a Category C (balcony). Had this not happened I would have been just as happy with deck 4.

Mountain, I'm with you. We've always booked a mid-ship E as well, great cabin. But on our last (4th) trip we were sold a cheap upgrade to a C GTY. This in turn, morphed into a B. Yes, they are forward, and higher, being on deck 8, but I did not feel a thing, and I'm sensitive. We were in open water up to the Marquesas and back with no problems. I admit it was *great* being right by the pool bar, and having easy access to the little deck 8 bow area!

Our butler was a very nice guy, but you're right, there wasn't a lot he needed to do for us.

We booked a C cabin for our cruise and loved it. However.... while I had always thought I "couldn't live" without a balcony, that is not the case on this ship. The only other cruise we had done was a Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas and I frequently felt that I wanted to go to our cabin on the balcony to get away from the masses. On the PG, I did indeed enjoy my balcony, but I frequently found myself wanting to go up on deck as this ship did not have the crazy, "over populated" feel of the big ship. We have decided that on the next trip we will save the money and take a window or even a porthole! I will miss being able to open the window as I like fresh air, but will just spend more time up on deck.

As for the butler, I talked to a couple of people who had them and they also said that they didn't really use him. They enjoyed the appetizers each night, but we ordered some from Room Service when we had friends over, and went to the Piano Bar other nights for appetizers and a cocktail before dinner. One lady also said that she had the butler get her a margarita each afternoon, but other than that didn't use him.

I vote save the $! :)

Archived