Any suggestions for shuttle from Anchorage to Whittier?

bluejbird

I always take the cruise company bus because my husband does not like anything unexpected. So, they are great except you arrive at the port during the peak of embarking where as I prefer to arrive at the port early and get on the ship early too. Don't want to waste any part of my vacation standing in line. Never have we had any problems with the cruise company shuttles(Princess).

I too, highly recommend the Alaska RR, direct booked, as an excellent, EASY direct option for Anchorage/Whittier transfer. BUT, I am never in any rush to get on ANY Alaska sailing ship. :) There is so much more to see and do, especially if not a frequent visitor.

Superb- is a PWS boat tour, which hook up great with the train transfer, if of interest. Grossly superior glacier viewing compared to anything from a cruiseship. :)

Options- cruiseline bus, and sometimes cruise contracted train (high price), independent train, and bus/van. listings http://www.anchorage.net Avis rental car, one way Anchorage/Whittier- although a costly option, can make the BEST use of time, allowing plenty of extra touring, especially a good option, if interested in Seward the day before, or touring north- Talkeetna, glacier trekking etc etc etc.

costs 20 bucks ,,

Hi,

I did google to find some shuttles if that's what you mean, but heard there are some disreputable shuttle services that leave people stranded, so wanted to get some reviews/suggestions from the CC group.

Also, I don't know what you're referring to for $20, whatever was at the bottom of your post is not showing up for some reason.

I too, highly recommend the Alaska RR, direct booked, as an excellent, EASY direct option for Anchorage/Whittier transfer. BUT, I am never in any rush to get on ANY Alaska sailing ship. :) There is so much more to see and do, especially if not a frequent visitor.

Superb- is a PWS boat tour, which hook up great with the train transfer, if of interest. Grossly superior glacier viewing compared to anything from a cruiseship. :)

We took Budget Queen's advice on this one last year and were so happy that we did. We took a 6 hr PWS tour with PWS Glacier Cruises through Esther Passage. We took their bus from Anchorage to Whittier and we were picked up at our hotel. This was one of the highlights of our trip. We went to Surprise Glacier and witnessed some calving up close. The price for the bus last year was similar to the price for the train which we couldn't take because it wouldn't get us to Whittier in time for the 6 hr tour.

While we were on the tour, the bus driver delivered our luggage to our ship where it was waiting in our suite upon our return!

I wondered the same. I did some research both here on Cruise Critic, as well as checking out several companies via the Better Business Bureau. I also asked the B&B people we will be staying with in Anchorage. They only suggested 2 companies for a "bus" or shuttle type transfer (ie, other than railway) -- Magic Bus and Aurora Limosines. Although we ended up booking with Aurora, I was very impressed with my dealings with Tim from Magic Bus too. My impression is that either of these companies would do a good job for you. They have both been in business in Anchorage for a while.

We used the Magic Bus this last summer from Anchorage to Whittier. There were 19 of us in our group and Tim sent one of his mini buses. We were picked up at our hotel and had an enjoyable ride to the ship.

The day before we actually did the 26 Glacier cruise at Whittier and rode the train to Whittier and back to Anchorage. We really enjoyed the train. We were on the top floor and at the back. Perfect place for a large group.

Either transportation would be great.:)

I recommend the Alaska RR as its very senic and while some of it follows the road. It also gets you to your destination through some beatiful and senic ways that the road dosent go.

As an Alaskan ive taken RR many times to Whitter and Seward with friends who have come to visit and we love taking the RR.

The RR is very acostomed to getting people from the railroad stop to the cruise station and both Whitter and Seward are very small so dont worry about that at all.

Enjoy your stay in my beatiful state,

Adri :)

I recommend the Alaska RR as its very senic and while some of it follows the road. It also gets you to your destination through some beatiful and senic ways that the road dosent go.

As an Alaskan ive taken RR many times to Whitter and Seward with friends who have come to visit and we love taking the RR.

The RR is very acostomed to getting people from the railroad stop to the cruise station and both Whitter and Seward are very small so dont worry about that at all.

Enjoy your stay in my beatiful state,

Adri :)

The Anchorage /Whittier rail just about parallels the road, the entire way. Anchorage/Seward is a definate scenic advantage to take the train. :)

Archived