Which side of ship for balcony

sdajrogers

My preference is one of the balconies at the back of the ship. That way you are not missing anything on either side of the boat. If that is not an option, it depends on if you are going north to south or south to north. The right side if south to north. If it is a round trip, it won't matter because you will probably travel the same route both ways.

B. Cole

Most people will tell you that there is beautiful scenery on both sides. The first time, we chose starboard going north because it was the land side and got spectacular scenery. When we go back, we'll be on the port side because several posters say that is the best side if you're going to Glacier Bay.

If you ONLY want glacier viewing from a balcony cabin AND you are going to Glacier Bay, then a port side will have all the commentary and first glacier views. IF you have a priority for wildlife and going to Hubbard, Tracy Arm and again, ONLY want balcony viewing, then you are best with forward.

IF you are open, to getting out on deck, frequently, and "moving" with the ship. Then it really doesn't matter what side. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Are forward and aft cabins more "rocky" than the middle of the ship? Would Alaska Inside Passage be a bit calmer than on the open ocean so forward and aft may not be as bad for those who are prone to sea-sickness?

Are forward and aft cabins more "rocky" than the middle of the ship? Would Alaska Inside Passage be a bit calmer than on the open ocean so forward and aft may not be as bad for those who are prone to sea-sickness?

Cruiseships are huge and there can be slightly more movement on the ends. The whole point of those prone to motion sickness is to TAKE PRECAUTIONS, to begin with. There is NO way to predict any sea conditions in the future.

We're on Carnival Spirit in late August (8/17-24), and we have two portside aft extended cabins that are next door to each other. We selected these, as I discovered that we will be "jetting" up on the starboard side day one, and then taking our time cruising down the Alaska coast on the port side - and I am not one who wants to be up on the upper decks with all of the other passengers "fighting" to see the views... I want to enjoy the sites from our balcony along with a glass of wine and something from Room Service!

We're on Carnival Spirit in late August (8/17-24), and we have two portside aft extended cabins that are next door to each other. We selected these, as I discovered that we will be "jetting" up on the starboard side day one, and then taking our time cruising down the Alaska coast on the port side - and I am not one who wants to be up on the upper decks with all of the other passengers "fighting" to see the views... I want to enjoy the sites from our balcony along with a glass of wine and something from Room Service!

Sorry, you are way out of accuracy with your above "fighting" comment. The decks are EMPTY with the exception of your Tracy Arm day, of which, I highly recommend you may want to consider the grossly superior add on tour. And those views are forward.

ALL the rest of the time, VERY few people are outside.

If you ONLY want glacier viewing from a balcony cabin AND you are going to Glacier Bay, then a port side will have all the commentary and first glacier views. IF you have a priority for wildlife and going to Hubbard, Tracy Arm and again, ONLY want balcony viewing, then you are best with forward.

IF you are open, to getting out on deck, frequently, and "moving" with the ship. Then it really doesn't matter what side. :)

So, does that mean the starboard side is never preferable?

So, does that mean the starboard side is never preferable?

Under the conditions I mention, meaning, NOT wanting anything but balcony viewing. All the commentary and first glacier viewings is from the port side in Glacier Bay.

Under the conditions I mention, meaning, NOT wanting anything but balcony viewing. All the commentary and first glacier viewings is from the port side in Glacier Bay.

When leaving Glacier Bay wouldn't the starboard balcony get to see what the port saw going in to the Bay?:confused:

When leaving Glacier Bay wouldn't the starboard balcony get to see what the port saw going in to the Bay?:confused:

Take a look at a map. The transit INTO Glacier Bay, doesn't matter WHAT side you are on. You have about 65miles before you get to the glaciers, about 3+ hours each way. The commentary is ONLY on the way in, and includes the sailing up to the Margerie and Grand Pacific glaciers, which are the most "popular" and have the most time spent at.

Once the ship spins around- for the starboard view- that's it. The ship leaves and the commentary for that glacier is already over.

Archived