Hiking in Sitka/Ketchikan

mahassiddasairy

Hello all! My husband and I are taking a cruise to Alaska in September, and I'd really like to do some hiking (or rather, strolling) in the Tongass National Forest while we're in port. There are hiking excursions that can be booked through the cruise line, but I was wondering: Are these worth it? Can trails be reached pretty easily on your own? The only reason I'd consider paying through the cruise line was if there aren't any trails within walking distance from the ship or there isn't any reliable public transportation. Does anyone know whether hiking can be accessed fairly easily on your own in either Sitka or Ketchikan?

I walked by myself to Deer Mountain trail. The walk wasn't bad. As I got closer I noticed that all of the houses had their garbage bins knocked over and their garbage had been torn apart. I decided to turn around and walk back to the ship.

Go to the Totem Park in Sitka From tender port to your right .Its a nice walk along the Marina

Stop on the way to the salmon fishery and little aquarium for a hands on experience ...VERY NEAT Keep walking to park Pick a trail go for a walk ...LOVELY

Lots of Totems total circle is few miles ...VERY NICE!!

Raptor centre also has trails ..very nice

You will love Sitka

Go for eco Tour ..The islands around Sitka are VERY nice LOVE the OTTERS so cute!!!

Enjoy

Michele

Archived