Cruise Pier In Helsinki

Does the one day public transportation ticket 6.80 Euro cover the cost of the bus? and tram? and ferry?

Thats correct.

We are docking at West Harbour (Hernesaari), quay LHC.

If I understand the directions correctly we take Bus #16 to the Market Square and then walk to the east end to get the ferry.

Thats correct. There are other boats going to the fortress from the Market Square but if you want to use the public transport ticket you must use the ferry. It starts from the end of the market closest to the Uspenski Cathedral. The boat to the zoo goes nearby.

The Voyager, according to the map, will dock at Katajanokka (ERA) on Aug. 30th. How far is the dock from Market Square? What is the best means of transportation to get there from this docking area? It looks like a long walk to me!

Thanks

Its about a 1000 yards. Its a quite easy straightforward walk. There is tram 4T starting from the harbour but it will not run until 10 am and I notice you arrive at 9 am. Tram 4 stops a few blocks from the harbour so it is not ideal but is the only other public transport option if you prefer not to walk. Guess the cruise line will arrange some kind of transport too.

Tram time tables and maps:

http://www.hsl.fi/EN/timetablesandroutes/trams/Pages/default.aspx

The walk:

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=60.167208,24.968179&spn=0,0.020556&z=17&layer=c&cbll=60.165987,24.962816&panoid=iGm8MsY1IK3qfxWDL3zz_g&cbp=12,334.91,,0,-1.81

We will be on the Celebrity Eclipse in Helsinki on Fri. July 16. I think we are docking at the West Harbour, LMA. What transportation would we need to get to Market Square?

LMA is the most troublesome quay. There really is no good transport to the Market from there. Teoretically bus 15A starting from the nearby Estonia car ferry terminal could take you to the west side of the main railway station and after walking to the front of the station you could take tram 3T eastwards.

I should really recommend you use some transport provided by the cruise line.

Ultima Thule ~ Thank You SO much for your help! You are so kind to be so generous with your time answering all our questions! We are really looking forward to our trip!

I agree!! Thanks for all your investigative computer skills and advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Ultima, I'm a bit confused. I really want to just explore the city on foot--Rock Church, Parliament, central Helsinki and if possible the Market Square area. It look fairly walkable once I get out of the harbor area.

We're arriving on the Star Princess at LHC. I know earlier you said it was walkable, but adding that to the walk in town seems pretty long. Can I take the #16 from the dock to Market Square, walk up to the central area? How do I get back to the ship? Also, for just two (three if I take public transportation from Market Quare to the Rock Church or Parliament areas) is it worth getting the transport card or just paying for tickets individually?

Bus 14B: From Hernesaari passing near Rock Church.

Bus 16: From Hernesaari passing Market Square

Use Tram 3T between Market Square and Rock Church.

The ferry to Suomenlinna starts from east end of Market Square.

Where are the 14B and 16 bus stops in relation to quay LHC?

Where are the 14B and 16 bus stops in relation to quay LHC?

LHC is on a point of land and the stop is on the only road leading out of there, just after the harbour buildings.

On this map the ship will dock to the left where it says "Hernesaarenranta" and the bus stop is at "Hernematalankatu", near the road crossing

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=60.14887,24.924127&spn=0.004667,0.016404&z=17

Ultima, I'm a bit confused. I really want to just explore the city on foot--Rock Church, Parliament, central Helsinki and if possible the Market Square area. It look fairly walkable once I get out of the harbor area.

We're arriving on the Star Princess at LHC. I know earlier you said it was walkable, but adding that to the walk in town seems pretty long. Can I take the #16 from the dock to Market Square, walk up to the central area? How do I get back to the ship? Also, for just two (three if I take public transportation from Market Quare to the Rock Church or Parliament areas) is it worth getting the transport card or just paying for tickets individually?

Harry,

The city is very compact and the route you plan to do is easy walkable and apart from the last block up to the rock church the terrain is flat.

You should definitely go to the Market Square and nearby Senate Square with the Catedral, as this is the oldest part and the monumental center of the city. Bus #16 will take you there. Then from there walk through the commercial/shopping area between the railway station and the Esplanades to Mannerheim road and along it towards the Parlament and then Arkadia street to the Rock Church. Bus #14B, stopping near corner Arkadia street/Runeberg street not far from the Rock Church will take you back all the way to the ship.

A transport card is very useful when you plan to use the ferry to the castle or circle the city with tram 3B/3T but in your case with just two planned trips it is no real idea. Just pay the two individual tickets (you need cash in Euro).

You could of course do it all the other way, starting off with bus #14B from the ship to the rock church and end up taking bus #16 from the Market Square area back to the ship. In that case you need to keep track where to step of the bus as there are no easy landmarks while in the first case the market & catedral is easy to recognize.

Hi Ultima Thule,

Our ship, the NCL Sun will be docking on Sept 4 in LMA also. So far NCL does not have a shuttle service yet. Don't know if they will come up with shuttle ride later on.

Could you elaborate more on where we can catch some kind of public transit and then may be connect to the Market Square? You mentioned that there is a bus 15A from the nearby car ferry terminal. How far is that car ferry terminal from LMA?

Or better yet, will there be HOHO stopping at LMA?

Thanks.

Ella

LMA is the most troublesome quay. There really is no good transport to the Market from there. Teoretically bus 15A starting from the nearby Estonia car ferry terminal could take you to the west side of the main railway station and after walking to the front of the station you could take tram 3T eastwards.

I should really recommend you use some transport provided by the cruise line.

Hi Ultima Thule,

Our ship, the NCL Sun will be docking on Sept 4 in LMA also. So far NCL does not have a shuttle service yet. Don't know if they will come up with shuttle ride later on.

Could you elaborate more on where we can catch some kind of public transit and then may be connect to the Market Square? You mentioned that there is a bus 15A from the nearby car ferry terminal. How far is that car ferry terminal from LMA?

The west harbour looks like this:

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/content/pdf/julkaisut/hanbdook_kartat09/Lansikartta_HB09.pdf

You can see quay LMA in the little bay at the bottom (near building L19).

The car ferry terminal is at building L4 and you can see there are very small bus stop signs next to the lorry symbol above that building.

There is a fence cutting off the white area from the harbour.

Now the problem here is not the distance but the fact that the road from LMA seems to exit only at A2 & A3 and I have some idea there is also a fence going approximately between buildings LV and L5 cutting off that road from the car ferry terminal area but I'm ot sure exactly what the situation is as rebuilding is going on.

I'm quite sure there will be some kind of shuttle service. Almost all cruise ships seem to arrange one here.

Thanks, Ultima. I think I may go ahead and buy the one-day transport card--it will make it easier than counting money all the time, and if I time maybe I can make it to Suomenlinna. One last question--I guess the bus stops for 16 or 14B are easy to find from the pier?

Ultima Thule,

Thanks for all your great answers. Here are two more questions.

Do I need exact change to buy a daily pass or a single fare? How much for a single fare?

No, but:

"Please try to avoid paying with large bills as the driver may not have enough change. Drivers do not have to accept bills larger than EUR 20. A maximum of 50 coins should be used per payment."

Single ticket: 2.50 E Adult / 1.20 E child (7-16)

1 day ticket: 6.80 E / 3.40 E

• 3 weeks later...

UltimaThule: Thanaks for your always helpful advice. We are taking a 12pm tour from the ship and would like to get off in the morning on our own. I heard there is a nice fruit/vegetable market right off the ship but I guess it's not where we dock (Hernesari (sp?)). How do we get there?

What would you suggest doing for a couple hours before our ship tour? Would we have time to see the inside of the Upenski (sp?) Church and get back to the ship? Thanks.

UltimaThule: Thanaks for your always helpful advice. We are taking a 12pm tour from the ship and would like to get off in the morning on our own. I heard there is a nice fruit/vegetable market right off the ship but I guess it's not where we dock (Hernesari (sp?)). How do we get there?

What would you suggest doing for a couple hours before our ship tour? Would we have time to see the inside of the Upenski (sp?) Church and get back to the ship? Thanks.

From Hernesaari dock you could take bus 16 to the market (exit bus at stop "Kauppatori"). The bus goes about 3 times a hour and the trip to the market takes approx 10 minutes. The Uspenski Cathedral is just a short walk from the market. Bus 16 would also take you back (be sure to take one going in the opposite direction)

Looks like this: Market to the right, cathedral in background, bus back to ship stops to the left at the yellow lines.

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=60.167953,24.95487&spn=0,0.010278&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.167857,24.953551&panoid=Q82Sge0ip9lkhFlL9L2x6A&cbp=12,91.5,,0,6.76

Archived