Jewel, packing, and VIP

srmsmg5

We have cruised several times in the past, and always had our formal night clothes in tow, along with multiple outfits for each day. Many years and 5 kids later, we are looking to bring as little as possible! So...

Is the hairdryer in the room passable? It need only dry, no more complicated styles!

Do they have binoculars in the cabin? (We are in an AD suite)

I am thinking it is ok for my husband to leave his suit and sports coat at home, is it?

We have friends sailing a few weeks after us who are on the VIP list. Exactly what does that entitle one to?

Thanks for all the help. I can't wait!:)

We have cruised several times in the past, and always had our formal night clothes in tow, along with multiple outfits for each day. Many years and 5 kids later, we are looking to bring as little as possible! So...

Is the hairdryer in the room passable? It need only dry, no more complicated styles! YES

Do they have binoculars in the cabin? (We are in an AD suite) NO

I am thinking it is ok for my husband to leave his suit and sports coat at home, is it? Absolutely (resort casual)

We have friends sailing a few weeks after us who are on the VIP list. Exactly what does that entitle one to?

Have a good time ;)

You didn't tell us the circumstances regarding your friends being on the VIP list, but if it is that they are Platinum, some of the perks are

Priority embarkation, priority debarkation, priority tendering, 72 hour advance restaurant reservations, captains cocktail party, etc.

Hair dryers: if you don't have one in your cabin, you can sign for one at the reception desk (no charge)

Jacket and tie: by all means leave them home if you DH doesn't just love wearing them. My DH hates getting dressed up, and that is what we love about NCl, dockers and polo shirt are just fine

So sorry, we've never had better than a mini suite, so I am unsure what is in the suites.

have a wonderful time!

I have always been fine w the hairdyers in the cabin but I don't usually blow dry my hair. If you have unique needs, lug your own.

At minimum, VIP usually means you have a special line for boarding (after you get through TSA) & disembarking. Your luggage may be easier to find. You may also be invited to a private cocktail party.

One thing that I noticed on our upcoming 5-2-2010 cruise. When we received the Welcome Aboard booklet that included the luggage tags, the tags were red, and said "Priority" on them.

I don't recall the tags ever reading anything about VIP, or Priority in the past.

I may have overlooked it before, so I don't know if this is something new.

It will be interesting to see if the bags make it to the cabin any faster than usual, or if they arrive at the same time as everyone else's. My guess would be: No faster. We'll see.

Every time we cruise, it is interesting to see how the perks vary from ship to ship, and cruise to cruise.

I have always been fine w the hairdyers in the cabin but I don't usually blow dry my hair. If you have unique needs, lug your own.

At minimum, VIP usually means you have a special line for boarding (after you get through TSA) & disembarking. Your luggage may be easier to find. You may also be invited to a private cocktail party.

Glad to see you back on board:D

Then who were the people wearing badges manning the metal detectors & x-ray machines when we boarded?

I am guessing they were a security company of some type. I have never seen TSA at the pier. Could be wrong, but I am pretty sure they do not work the cruise ships. Actually, one could question if they "work" the airports. But that is another story.

Then who were the people wearing badges manning the metal detectors & x-ray machines when we boarded?

Private security hired by the cruise line and/or the port. As far as I know TSA only does screening at US airports.

Is the hairdryer in the room passable? It need only dry, no more complicated styles!

Do they have binoculars in the cabin? (We are in an AD suite)

I am thinking it is ok for my husband to leave his suit and sports coat at home, is it?

The hairdryer is fine. Don't bring one.

There are no binoulars in the suites - bring your own - you know those are very important!

There is a coffee maker in the suites, though! And it's a good one!

On Freestyle "formal" nights about 25% of the people dress up. The rest just wear business casual and some don't even dress up that much. My husband took 1 sport coat last time - he didn't wear a tie at all and the sport coat was good for in port since we were in Europe and it was mild but cool.

I don't know about the VIP list, but through the concierge you should get priority disembarkation.

You get to eat breakfast and lunch at Cagneys if you wish.

You will love the "suite life" and I doubt you will cruise in anything lower than a Penthouse on NCL from now on. They do suites very, very well.

srmsmg5-

I know what you mean about wanting to pack less. That is my goal too, although I am getting better, I am still a work in progress.

What I learned on my last cruise, a two week one, is to pack about half as many pants, jeans, etc. and have them cleaned, as needed. It's the "bottoms" that take up the room in the suitcase. Packed several "tops" by rolling them up and putting them in the front pocket of the suitcase. I packed one dressy black skirt that I liked to wear on the evenings I wanted to dress up a little extra. I know you don't have to do it, but I like dressing up for Le Bistro and Tepenyaki.

I remember my first cruise in 1986 on the Norway. I hauled a ballgown and a beaded dress. So glad that is so in the past. Gotta love freestyle!

Archived