"Alaska North to South?? Who would do that??"

shoegal24

So when I told my Aunt that we booked Alaska in July 2011 from Anchorage to Vancouver, she thought I was nuts. She said it makes way more sense to do South to North, because when you start in Anchorage, you lose an hour of your cruise..

LOL what the heck? Just an hour? Is it really that big of a deal? Am I missing something?

I would prefer a North to South because I love to spend time in Vancouver after the cruise. Of course, if you do South to North, you could do Vancouver first. I would spend time in Vancouver any time. It's a great place. Try to plan to be there for a few days on either end. I guess I haven't answered your question, but it made me daydream about Vancouver, and that's a good thing!

Have a great trip.

If you take a cruise tour, it is much better to do the land part first, because it is pretty intensive. Then you cruise south and get some relaxing time. Otherwise, if you only have time for the cruise, it really doesn't matter.

I prefer North to South. If you take S to N and don't plan on staying overnight in Anchorage, what time will you get home considering it will take three hours to get from Seward to Anchorage. Then consider that there can be one to four hours different in time depending on where you live. Then try getting a flight and see what time/if you can get home. Makes the North to South a no brainer for us.

I like North to South because it is more majestic up North ... more exciting to start the cruise from Seward and then do the Hubbard Glacier next ... an incredible experience ... and then go South to the towns and slowly ... lower and lower land ... past Vancouver Island ... and gently into Vancouver.

Personal preference for sure. And like has already been said, going to Denali first and then to the water's edge in Seward and onto the comforts of the beautiful ship is a nice way to do it.

fern

I have done North South South North and Round Trip cruises. If you are doing the 1 way, do make it North South. If you cruise north, they want you off the ship at an unearthly early hour, I was in the Anchorage Airport hours before the checkin even opened for my flight south! Cruising South you can arrive in Anchorage the day before or day of if you choose and get up at a civilised hour and then go to the ship.

So when I told my Aunt that we booked Alaska in July 2011 from Anchorage to Vancouver, she thought I was nuts. She said it makes way more sense to do South to North, because when you start in Anchorage, you lose an hour of your cruise..

LOL what the heck? Just an hour? Is it really that big of a deal? Am I missing something?

I would prefer North to South so we could fly in a week or so early and tour inland areas of Alaska.

Archived