Anyone had an upgrade from Concierge to a Suite

Canukdiver

Has anyone ever had an upgrade (free or not) to a Suite from Concierge? We've booked Concierge but were wondering if they contact you if they have cabins available at the suite level. Any idea how they pick for upgrades or is it just random luck of the draw?

For the most part X does not give upgrades. They will sell you an upgrade, and sometimes the pricing makes it almost a wash to move from CC to a Sky Suite. Their ships are sailing at near 100% occupancy, but on embarkation day you can check as you board, and perhaps upgrade for a price which might be a good deal or might just be the listed price difference between your cabin and the higher cabin.

On our October, 2009 trans canal sailing on Infinity (East to West), we were upgraded from a cat 2b to a Sky Suite.

We had booked a cat 2b on the starboard side very near the forward elevators. When we checked in we were informed that there had been a cabin change. We were given cabin 9123, a Sky Suite mid-ships. We had no idea this was going to happen. We had at that point only sailed with Celebrity 4 times previously.

You couldn't ask for a more timely upgrade since it was a 14 night cruise. Plus we got 3 Captains Club points for the cabin plus the length of the voyage.

So the upgrade fairy does exist, but danged if we can figure out why we were chosen.

If you booked thru X, you need to call them to see what they will offer you. Also watch the website booking site and watch for price cuts.

If you used an agent, it's their job to look for upgrades, but you need to let them know you are interested.

Suites are very popular on some itineraries and sell out. Supply and demand.

For the most part X does not give upgrades. They will sell you an upgrade, and sometimes the pricing makes it almost a wash to move from CC to a Sky Suite. Their ships are sailing at near 100% occupancy, but on embarkation day you can check as you board, and perhaps upgrade for a price which might be a good deal or might just be the listed price difference between your cabin and the higher cabin.

Not true. We were upgraded from our C1 to a SkySuite2 on our last cruise on Mercury. We had one of the sought after staterooms on SkyDeck with the huge balcony. They didn't even call to ask, which upset me because I booked that specific cabin over a year in advance. I only noticed when I logged onto the X website to add our airline info. As it turned out it was great! With 10 days at sea we really appreciated the extra room in the stateroom and it was so cold (March cruise) going and coming back we rarely used the balcony except when we were in port and for that it was fine.

So it does happen, rarely I am told. Our only extra expense was the tip for the butler. For a short cruise I would have kept the C1 though.

• 2 weeks later...

We were just upgraded from C3 to a Sky Suite on the Millie. I had no idea until I logged in to complete online check-in. Kind of threw me as I had so carefully planned for the previous cabin, but I think we'll be very happy with the change!!

Several pax in Aqua cabins got upgrades to suites on the recent Eclipse 3 or 4 day cuises. We are in Aqua next week, and asked Celebrity to mark us down for 'no upgrades', as we feel Aqua offers a far better deal, Blu in particular.

Richard

We have been upgraded - our travel agent thought it was because there were unsold staterooms going at a cheaper rate and rather than let the bargain hunters have a suite they upgraded us and let them have our old room.

Yes, we were upgraded from concierge to a wonderful suite that had Butler service.......unfortunately it connected (yep, one of those crappy connecting) doors to the Penthouse Suite (think that's what it was called). You know, the huge one that has it's own outside hot tub and oh yeah.......a freakin' piano that the morons played all the freakin' time. No privacy whatsoever due to the connecting door (at least that's the only thing we could figure out). The couple fought and then loudly made up (;) several times during the cruise. We were so excited to get the upgrade we didn't even check out the floor plan...no way will I ever have a suite next to one with a player piano. Really don't understand the point of having a freakin' piano in a cabin anyway!!!!

Archived