Does anyone leave their "furbabies" behind?

Kinkacruiser

We used to have my mom watch our schnauzer, but she (the dog) passed away a few years ago, and I can't bring myself to get another dog. Don't want to go through the pain. Also, I was finding myself not wanting to take trips because of her. We still have 2 cats inherited by our children who have grown and moved away. I have a dear couple come in and feed them and clean the litter daily. $10 per day, but worth it to me for peace of mind, not to mention it is very hard to fiind somene to clean a litter box! I do hate that they have to be shut up all by theirselves in the house, but they would be traumatized if we took them someplace. When I am packing, they always lay in the suitcase because they "know" what is coming.

• 3 weeks later...

I put my 'baby' in a kennel for my cruise time. I felt so bad, I started telling him he was going to 'Doggy Camp'.

I called as soon as I hit Florida for my cruise, he was fine....I'm sure the kennel gets those calls a lot.

When I got back, I felt a lot better when the owner came up and told me my dog gave him 'kissies'.

I do the same thing. If I told my friends who don't have pets that I sneak around to pack' date=' they would think I was nuts![/quote']

I 'm doing this year's pack behind closed doors (in a spare room) not to upset them too much. However, the minute I bring out the flea spot-ons and apply them, they will know what's about to happen.

I use a pet sitter for my dog and cats. She is great, she comes everyday and plays with the cats, walks the dog, cleans up after them, brings in our mail/newspaper, takes out the garbage and waters the houseplants. She is also bonded and insured. I found her through petsit.com and we couldn't be happier. I think our pets are better off staying in their own environment. Some pets are fine at a kennel and some get separation anxiety, all pets are different, just like kids. I also like the idea of someone checking on my house everyday. Don't think I'll ever go back to using a kennel. As someone said on this thread my pets have the "oh, were you gone?" attitude when I get home so I know they wren't upset or anxious.

We're going to the States for 5 weeks this summer and I'm already worrying about our menagerie. The dogs HATE going to kennels and starve themselves and the cats - don't even think about it. Over the past few years, we've been travelling a lot. Our very sweet cleaning lady and her husband move in (and will again this summer), feed cats and dogs and keep burglars away, garden. We have a regular dogwalker who comes everyday to exercise the dogs with a long walk and keep an eye on their health (our cleaning lady doesn't know anything about dogs) in case anything happens while we're gone.

We pay the cleaning lady to house-, cat- and dog-sit and pay the dogwalker - so it gets expensive, but so far (knock on wood), it has worked out well.

I have a dapple weiner dog and she is my life.! I had 2 poodles before her that both past away a year ago each 6 months apart and it runined me and for my birthday this year in April my other half bought me this dapple weinner dog.

I love to cruise but living in the east tennessee area doesnt give you much on options as far as boarding and things.It could be just me too but I wouldnt trust any of my family to love and care for her while we were gone except my mom and that isnt an option because she cruises with me. So I guess my dilemma is I dont know what to do now since we only have 1 kennel in the town of 35,000 that I live in. There is a bigger city 1 hr from where I live in 2 directions I have knoxville on one side or johnson city on the other side. just not sure if thats an option and i worry that she will get cold since shes stays cold lol or that she will come home sick. I really am looking at doing a back to back cruise but it just worries me to death.

Can I find the right place for her and still enjoy myself. I havent even left and I already feel so guilty. Tanzei is 3 months old right now but by the time our next cruise comes around she will be 1 yr old.

pigeon forge princess, have you spoken to your vet? Many vets will board their patients when owners are away. Vets also know about people who board or pet sit in your area. Good luck finding someone to watch your fur baby.

We have 2 miniature Schnauzers, Cagney & Lacey. They are spoiled and as he Dog Whisperer would say, they are the pack leaders. They go to Camp Bow Wow when we go out of town and the longest time has been 12 days. They didn't do well the 1st time, so they now stay in what is called a suite:rolleyes: We can watch them via web cam during play time. The seem to do OK, me on the other hand cries everytime I leave them. I would love to have someone stay at the house, but our vet is close by the kennel and if anything should come up, he would take care of them.

We have 3 dogs (one is 17) and a cat. The old gal and the cat just wouldn't handle being boarded, so we have a wonderful lady who works for our vet stay with them. She only works a few hours a week and her hubby comes over and they play with the kids and walk them. The kids are in their own home and comfortable with their surroundings.

If you can find and hire a reliable pet sitter that would be ideal, although very expensive. Presumably your dog would be on a leash when outside, so would not have to worry about running away. As for the cat, if the sitter can come before you leave and become friendly with both animals, you should be all right.

For a dog, a qualtiy kennel is often the way to go. Our dog, bless her heart, loved her kennel, just loved it.

But I have never kennelled a cat. Perhaps you could compromise by kennelling the dog in a quality kennel, and hiring somebody to come in once or twice a day to feed the cat, change the litter and spend some time petting him or her. Cats don't need the companionship that dogs do, and if you can keep him/her inside for the duration, or at least until they are accustomed to each other, then running away will probably not be a problem, the cat will make sure to be there when the sitter arrives with food!

We are lucky enough to have a son who lives nearby and moves in while we're away to care for the cat. But this is one of the reasons we have not bought another dog, even after almost 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the lucky parent of Peaches, an almost 15YO German Shepherd mix female and Bear a 6 YO Golden Retreiver male. I lucked out recently. At least it has been working out so far. My gardener (who I have known for over 13 years) suggested his daughter (about 25 YO) as a possible pet/house sitter. Met her, she got along well with the dogs and I had a comfortable feeling that they would do well together. Michelle also had vet tech experience...so PERFECT...she would be able to be much more alert to anything that might be going on with my old girl, Peaches.

Peaches is my biggest worry and source of guilt. So far she is healthy but she has cronic bladder infections (serious ones) and the only cure in ANOTHER surgery...but that is not going to happen at her age. I'm keeping her comfortable on antibiotics and ocassional pain meds and she seems as happy as can be. But I digress.

Having Michelle, actually I had a different house sitter that worked great, but she is having medical issues so she isn't available which is why I turned to Michelle...anyway, it is a great solution. The kids get walks every day and are in their own home and are kept to their regular routine. You may think me nuts...but I do list out their typical routine...it works and Michelle said it made HER job so much easier.

My Peaches also has had cancer so she has special dietary needs and I don't think a kennel would be willing to comply with the special diet that she is on.

All in all...the housesitting is great...and I get text's from Michelle during the cruise and I call from ports and feel so much better. Guilt is still there but I'm not a crying baby worrying about them. :o

Love my furbabies and do just about anything for them. I have found a solution that works for me and for that I am very thankful.

I was gone in June of this year on my very 1st cruise for 14 days!!! Oh, did I worry...and when I got home, the kids were relaxed and calm and it was like I wasn't even gone. Kinda hurt my feelings but I was SO HAPPY that they didn't suffer any stress that I got over it. :)

Kathy

We leave our 2 Westies in a kennel. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them here. We bought a netbook and check in on them online everyday!! However, we are looking at a kennel that only boards small dogs, and offers playtime every day. They don't have a webcam. But, that's ok---I like the idea of them running around with other dogs every day, to pass the time.

It absolutely KILLS me to leave them. As much as we like to travel, we do hate to leave them. Plus, it is expensive - $50 -60 a day. We ended up only taking one trip this year, because of the cost. We knew when we got 2 dogs that we would face this issue, but they are worth it!

Why don't you like keeping your dogs at home? Would they ruin the house and get out because of seperation anxiety? I personally would not feel comfortable with a kennel for my dog if I had one. My first vet had a kennel but a technican at his office said keeping a cat at home and hiring a pet sitter is the best thing to do because it maintains kitty's routine. Now my mom's friend, who has two dogs, catsits without pay and has a buddy with four legs and whiskers.

Im taking the October 31st Boo cruise out of LA and I can't wait. My furbaby cat named Grey is going to be grumpy when I go. He loves having me here.

Patricia (the brown tabby in my picture) gets mad at me for leaving. When I get back, it is like she forgot who I am. Does anyone else's cat do that?

Once Wilbur, the gray and white cat, peed on the carpet because of seperation anxiety when I was in San Diego County for five days. But he does not get mad at me for going somewhere and when I returned, he went back to using the litterbox again.

The minute I pull out the big suitcases our 'kids' become restless, so I try to pack when they are not about (or close the bedroom door). It's hard leaving them behind, but you shouldn't let then rule your plans.

I have had cats in my suitcases before. Usually Patricia sleeps on the clothes I lay out on my bed to pack, forcing me to put off packing for a few hours. I also have seen a cat on top of my suitcase after I zipped it shut.

I have a dapple weiner dog and she is my life.! I had 2 poodles before her that both past away a year ago each 6 months apart and it runined me and for my birthday this year in April my other half bought me this dapple weinner dog.

I love to cruise but living in the east tennessee area doesnt give you much on options as far as boarding and things.It could be just me too but I wouldnt trust any of my family to love and care for her while we were gone except my mom and that isnt an option because she cruises with me. So I guess my dilemma is I dont know what to do now since we only have 1 kennel in the town of 35,000 that I live in. There is a bigger city 1 hr from where I live in 2 directions I have knoxville on one side or johnson city on the other side. just not sure if thats an option and i worry that she will get cold since shes stays cold lol or that she will come home sick. I really am looking at doing a back to back cruise but it just worries me to death.

Can I find the right place for her and still enjoy myself. I havent even left and I already feel so guilty. Tanzei is 3 months old right now but by the time our next cruise comes around she will be 1 yr old.

Hopefully you can find a kennel with indoor heated runs. If not try to get her used to wearing a sweater or a coat. Some of my short kids will and some won't. Just a thought;)

I think we spend as much time planning for the dogs as we do for a cruise. Boo and Coco, our Miniature Schnauzers go away to another county to summer camp as we call it. A wonderful kennel with outdoor runs and climate controlled inside. Cassie, the Great Pyrenes goes to the local vet for boarding, due to her size and health issues. The posse is about 17 barn cats at last count. We keep a cat feeder mounted high in the barn for them, that keeps the skunks away, but the possums and raccoons can still get into the feeder. Always a problem providing water, but in a pinch they still have the creek.

JD

We put an automatic drinker in but I worry about a broken water line so we fill a kiddy pool before we leave. They like to waller in the pool, so it is a treat for them to! My Lab actually thought he was going to come into the house after a dip in the pool and a roll in the sand. He looked breaded! I never slid the doggie door closer into place so fast in my life!

I wish we could convince one of the cruise lines to allow pets! They could have Cesar Milan along as moderator!

Actually, you would just be worried to death all the time about your pets if they were on the ship: a dog could try to jump overboard or pee in a very bad spot; a cat could make the whole cabin smell like urine and damage all the fabrics; a bird can fly away; a ferret can cause some physical damage in the cabin; and a variety of other animals could be equally destructive. Sure, you miss your pets, but you do not spend much time in your cabin, where the pets certainly would be required to stay if they were allowed. The only benefit to you would be you can sleep with your cat if you are like me. When there is a stuffed animal in my hotel room, I use that as a subsitute for the real ones in my home.

• 2 weeks later...

I have never kenneled my 4 "brats". They stay at home where it is familiar for them and my daughter comes over to check on them and make sure their bowls are filled. I also (just in case) strew newspapers everywhere. I would not feel comfortable at this point of their lives (13, 10, 9 and 9) to board them anywhere. A lot of the times though, I go solo and hubby stays home because he isn't as nuts about vacation or cruising as I am and so it works out for both of us.

I am the mother of the Wild Bunch, One cat, two Bichons and a Yorkiepoo! We will be leaving them for 2+ weeks this November. I am a wreck! I am lucky my sister comes and stays at our home. Try to make it a vacation for her as well, plenty of movies and a well stocked frig. We have never thought of boarding as the four of them are BFFs (Best Friends Forever) And there is no Kennel where Gideon Rufus the cat can sleep with, Jonas, Fiona and Gaspar!

Here's hoping the think I gone for only two hours!

• 2 weeks later...

I am really glad I am not the only one to worry and stress over their furbabies when on vacation. I am lucky that my Mom likes my dog and will keep her for me, as long as Mom hasn't gone to Texas to my younger sisters. I also have a brother and SIL who would keep her for me. For a really short trip, I board her at the local Pet Palace. I used to board my other poodle there before he passed at the ripe old age of 18, He liked it there and all the staff knew him. He wouldn't play with the other dogs so I got him one on one time and extra walks. For my poodle now, I will probably do some play time and some one on one time. I don't want her to be lonely. Now my cats...they stay at home and a neighbor comes over to fill water, pet them and make sure they have food...also change the litter. I have a friend who will come on the w/e and the little girl just comes during the wk. So far, it has worked well. Thats my plans for this October for my 2wks of cruising!:D

Hi:

Just discovered this thread after being on CC for 5 years or more now...:rolleyes:

Like the rest of you; I love to cruise but I also love my two dogs. I have Rascal (who looks like Benji); and a little Maltese, Buddy. I've had dogs all my life, but we've just been cruising since 1987.

My grown kids (twins) used to come to my house and let my dogs out; but I think we cruised too many times, as they've limited the time they will do this now (although we take care of their dogs while they're on vacation).

Anyway; I tried a dog sitter once...just once. An awful experience.:eek: I checked out her references and had her come over to meet my dogs and thought everything was all set....then the day we were to go the airport (it was Vegas this time, not a cruise) she didn't show up; didn't call...nothing. Well, after that I used a Pet Hotel here in Des Moines, Iowa. Anyway, at least once a year I paid a lot of money for a suite, but they were together and it was a 24 hour Pet Hotel, so I knew someone would be there all the time, in case something happened.

Now this year; we have a cruise planned for December, and my older dog, Rascal, has Diabetes and the Pet Hotel won't give him his shots. My vet has a small boarding area, but there is no place for them to even walk around. The Pet Hotel has told me of another place that will give shots, I just haven't checked them out yet. I think I'm worrying more about this than I did when my twins were young and at home with babysitters; although we didn't leave them with babysitters very often. :p

My grown kids won't come over and give the shots and I don't have any neighbors that I trust to do this. I'll be checking out places and if I don't find any, I guess I'll have to cancel our cruise. We usually cruise a couple to three times a year; even though we're both still working (but not for long) and we have a long flight to get to any cruise ports as we live in Iowa. :(

The Pet Hotel we used this past January; they charged us $1,000 for 8 days for the two of them. It's just another cost of cruising I have to figure into our cruising budgets; but now this new development has really got me worried. He didn't like being away from home as it was (our Maltese didn't seem to mind it as much) and now with his Diabetes, Rascal is really going to hate being out of his home. If I could flind a good pet sitter who would come to our home and give him his shots; would be the ideal situation. There isn't much to chose from where we live. I think when I retire in a few months, maybe that's what I'll do. Walk dogs and take care of them while people are on vacation.:rolleyes:

I've always loved the anticipation leading up to a cruise (this one will be our 56th cruise) but this time, all I'm doing is worrying.:confused:

Happy Cruising....Sparkle 10 (Anita)

Archived