Going to Anchorage

NMLady

I will be on the Amsterdam departing Seattle on May 17. We will be the first of the Amsterdam itineraries sailing up Cook Inlet and docking in Anchorage itself. :D :)

Today I was going through my bookmarks and copy/pasted word documents with info I've been gleaning from the CC boards for months.

This was one of the treasures I came across so thought I would share.

I've also posted it in the '14 day Hints, Tips' Roll Call topic:

Need a "few" things to do in Anchorage? Start with this list from a poster "Places" on Trip Advisor.

1. Log Cabin Visitors Center on 4th Avenue and F Street - Start your visit here www.anchorage.net

2. Anchorage Museum of History and Art www.anchoragemuseum.org

3. Alaska Native Heritage Center www.alaskanative.net

4. Resolution Point and Captain Cook Monument with views of Cook Inlet and Mt. McKinley

5. Earthquake Park, West on Northern Lights Boulevard near Aircraft Drive

6. Elmendorf State Hatchery http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...y/hatchery.cfm

7. Fort Richardson Hatchery http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...y/hatchery.cfm

8. Far North Bicentennial Park off Tudor and Abbott Roads with miles of trails for hiking and biking

9. Kincaid Park on West end of Raspberry Road with 35 miles of hiking and biking trails www.muni.org/parks/index.cfm

10. Oomingmak Shop - Musk Ox wool hand knitted masterpieces by Native Alaskans www.qiviut.com

11. Ulu Factory at 211 W. Ship Creek Avenue

12. Music in the Park every Wednesday and Friday at noon, 4th Avenue and E Street www.anchoragedowntown.org

13. Summer concerts at Town Square on Thursday 5-8 PM www.anchoragedowntown.org

14. Music and Dance on Saturday at 2 PM at Peratrovich Park, 4th Avenue and E Street www.anchoragedowntown.org

15. Wild Salmon on Parade throughout downtown. See map on www.anchorage.net/salmon

16. Theater Thursday at noon in Peratrovich Park, 4th Avenue and E Street www.anchoragedowntown.org

17. Ship Creek Center at 4th Avenue and C Street with exhibits and free performances www.shipcreekcenter.com

18. Ship Creek near railroad tracks north of 1st Avenue where city anglers congregate to catch salmon

19. Segway Tours of Anchorage at 630 W 4th Avenue #441-1124

20. Alaska Experience Center www.alaskaexperiencetheatre.com

21. Alaska Public Lands Information Center at 605 W. 4th Avenue

with fascinating exhibits www.nps.gov/aplic

22. Anchorage City Trolley Tours start at 612 W. 4th Street between 9AM and 6 PM

23. Russian Orthodox Museum at 605 A Street

24. Oscar Anderson House Museum at 420 M Street open between noon and 5 PM

25. Play tennis, volleyballs, softball at Delaney Park Strip located between 9th and 10th Avenues and A& P Streets.

26. Aurora-Alaska Great Northern Lights www.thealaskacollection.com

27. Cyrano’s Playhouse www.cyranos.org

28. 4th Avenue Theater Building at 630 W. 4th Avenue that survived the 1964 earthquake and is listed on National Register of Historic Places

29. Wendler Building at 4th Avenue and D street is also on National Register of Historic Places

30. Iditarod Race starts at Wendler Building at 4th Avenue and D Street

31. Bronze statue of Balto, famous dog, located in front of the Wendler Building

32. Town Square Park located between 5th and 6th Avenues and E and F Streets with gorgeous flowers and Whaling Wall painted by artist Wyland

33. Alaska Botanical Garden at Tudor and Campbell Airstrip Road

www.alaskabg.org

34. Imaginarium Science Discovery Center www.imaginarium.com

35. Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum www.alaskaairmuseum.org

36. Alaska Heritage Museum at Well Fargo at 301 W Northern Lights Boulevard #265-2834

37. Alaska Museum of Natural History www.alaskamuseum.org

38. Alaska Railroad Depot with many fascinating historical photos www.alaskarairoad.com

39. Alaska State Troopers Museum www.alaskatroopermuseum.com

40. Anchorage Market on 3rd Avenue and E Street during summer weekends www.anchoragemarkets.com

41. Zoo www.alaskazoo.org

42. Surfing on a bore tide south of Bird Point along Seward Highway

43. University of Alaska Anchorage, visit bookstore for nice sweatshirts and other gifts www.uaabookstore.uaaa.alaska.edu

44. Visit any of 150 city parks right in Anchorage

45. Anchorage Symphony Orchestra www.anchoragesymphony.org

46. Tony Knowles Coastal Trail ideal for biking, hiking and walking

47. Visit bicycle rental shop at 4th Avenue between C&D streets www.alaska-bike-rentals.com

48. Go biking on Powerline Pass, to get there follow O’Malley Road and Upper Hoffman

49. Attend Greek Festival in August

50. Take a drive south along Seward Highway for many scenic stops and to visit Girdwood for outdoor activities

51. Run Mayor’s Marathon in June

52. Go to AWAIC (Abused Women’s Aid in Crisis) Summer Solstice Festival www.awaic.org

53. Use trailhead at Glen Alps to hike to Flattop Mountain and Little O’Malley Peak ($5.00 parking fee)

54. Use trailhead at Prospect Heights to hike to Wolverine Peak and Near Point ($5.00 parking fee)

55. Use Upper Hoffman trailhead for hikes to Powerline Pass and Little O’Malley Peak ($5.00 parking fee)

56. Use Eklutna trailhead for hikes to Twin Peaks and Bold Ridge trails ($5.00 parking fee)

57. Use Eagle River Nature Center to access Crow Pass, Albert Loop and Dew Mound trails ($5.00 parking fee)

58. Go bird watching to Potter Marsh on Seward Highway

59. Watch ducks on Goose Lake near UAA

60. Play 18 holes at O’Malley Golf Course

61. H2Oasis Indoor Water Park- great place to take kids of any age

62. Alaska Statehood Monument at 2nd Avenue and E Street

63. Fire Department Museum at 100 E. 4th Avenue

I still haven't decided where we will have dinner after our tour.This is the only port where we won't be returning to the ship for dinne.Our last time we ate at The Glacier Brew House.Looked into all you can eat at Phyllis' Cafe ,but the times wont work.Thoght of just stopping at a small Bar,but with all of us "DAM" people it might be very crowded.I will look into what restaurants are around the Egan Center as well.NMLady have any info on that?

Several good places downtown in addition to Glacier Brew House and Phyllis'. You might consider Simon and Seaforts, Ristorante Orso, or Club Paris. For good appetizers, try Humpys.

The Sunshine Mall on 4th avenue where the expierence theatre is has its own unique history. 4th avenue was split due to the 1964 Earthquake. So they built the mall to acomadate the split. In the Sunshine mall its yellow and hard to miss lol thier are many businesses and info on the Earthquake. Also downstairs thier is a full service Post Office where you can mail packages, get Passport info if you need it and anything Post office related.

A lot of the attractions are great that are listed.

Also thier is a Bike Rental that says you can rent a bike for 16.00 for three hours and Its called Downtown Bicycle Rental and its in the Sunshine Mall right out front.

This also includes according to thier brocure free lock, Helmet, map, repair kit and Panniers. Thier open daily in the summer 8am to 8pm. They dont need reservations and they say they dont run out of bikes. Ive never used thier services but its on 4th avenue very centrally located and the coastel trail which is a medium bike ride some hills some not through some beatiful country side and right on the coastline its beatiful.

anyway just wanted to pass that along. I picked up thier brocure the other day as I was downtown doing some errands. I dont get to Anchorage often as im about 50 miles north of thier.

Adri :)

Several good places downtown in addition to Glacier Brew House and Phyllis'. You might consider Simon and Seaforts, Ristorante Orso, or Club Paris. For good appetizers, try Humpys.

All those are great places and Club Paris is right thier by the Eagan Centre and if one likes Malls and cheaper eats the food court at the Fifth avenue mall on the top floor has lots of places to eat. The food at Club Paris is very good and tasty.

However its not really a true Alaskan expierence to eat up thier except the view is good if one wants to look out over part of Anchorage.

I think we decided on Humpy's.The food looks good and the prices are resonible.Don't really need gourmet dinner when we are on a 14 Night cruise.Anyone have directions from The Egan Center? Thanks!

I still haven't decided where we will have dinner after our tour.This is the only port where we won't be returning to the ship for dinne.Our last time we ate at The Glacier Brew House.Looked into all you can eat at Phyllis' Cafe ,but the times wont work.Thoght of just stopping at a small Bar,but with all of us "DAM" people it might be very crowded.I will look into what restaurants are around the Egan Center as well.NMLady have any info on that?

I would only be able to give you restaurant info from Frommers Alaska Cruise 2010 and I see that more knowledgeable people here have given you (me too) some good information.

I think we decided on Humpy's.The food looks good and the prices are resonible.Don't really need gourmet dinner when we are on a 14 Night cruise.Anyone have directions from The Egan Center? Thanks!

Across the street from the Egan Center is the Performing Arts Center and a park. Go across the park (Town Square) and now you are looking at Humpys (corner of 6th and F)--couldn't be easier. On the far end of Town Square is a Wyland Whaling Wall, for those who are interested. If the Performing Arts Center doors are unlocked, you can go upstairs for an unobstructed view of the wall.

Across the street from the Egan Center is the Performing Arts Center and a park. Go across the park (Town Square) and now you are looking at Humpys (corner of 6th and F)--couldn't be easier. On the far end of Town Square is a Wyland Whaling Wall, for those who are interested. If the Performing Arts Center doors are unlocked, you can go upstairs for an unobstructed view of the wall.

Thank You very much.Your directions are great.Want to meet us for cocktails.June 21

Humpy's is very good and you won't regret your choice. It was recently visited by the Man vs. Food guy, Adam Richman, so you might want to try to catch that episode either on TV or at the Travel Channel website. It makes my mouth water!

Humpy's is very good and you won't regret your choice. It was recently visited by the Man vs. Food guy, Adam Richman, so you might want to try to catch that episode either on TV or at the Travel Channel website. It makes my mouth water!

I didn't realize how expensive food in Alaska is. I was just looking online at Humpy's menu. Hamburgers are $12.99 - $15.99, for a HAMBURGER.

That blows my mind. And of course the other items are even more expensive. I think we'll just eat on the ship. We're too cheap.

Thanks I'll look into it.We are getting more excited as the time draws nearer.

I didn't realize how expensive food in Alaska is. I was just looking online at Humpy's menu. Hamburgers are $12.99 - $15.99, for a HAMBURGER.

That blows my mind. And of course the other items are even more expensive. I think we'll just eat on the ship. We're too cheap.

Out of curiosity I just checked the menu, as it's been a while since we ate there. Did you notice that the $15.99 burgers were 10 oz. and include french fries? And the regular burgers start at $10.99, including french fries? We just returned traveling a week around Washington and Oregon, and not a single meal cost less than $40 for the 2 of us (except when we ate fast food, and the night we ate at Applebee's). That was a main dish and a beer or wine for each of us. About 1/2 of those meals, we would have been much happier to spend that much if the food had been the quality of Humpy's!

Humpys is pricy but thier is also 5th avenue mall which is right by Eagan Centre. The 5th Avenue Mall has a Food court on the top floor and has lots of choices and they are everything from Chineese to chicken to Hot dog on a stick and all kinds of stuff in between. So if you dont want the prices of humpys thier is also the Food court and also thier is Club Paris.

But also this is Alaska our prices are what they are. The food court will probly cost you between 7.00-11.00 dollars a piece and thats a pretty good deal for Alaska.

Humpys does have excellent food however I was just in Anchorage the other day and I ate in the Food court and at one of the Fast Food places and it was like 5.00-6.00 for a Happy meal which is what I got lol :)

Adri

I am looking into something with Halibut either the fish Taco or fish and chips sounds great to me.This is the only port we have that we will be eating off the ship Alyeska Tramway and lunch combo and then Humpys for dinner

Out of curiosity I just checked the menu, as it's been a while since we ate there. Did you notice that the $15.99 burgers were 10 oz. and include french fries? And the regular burgers start at $10.99, including french fries? ...

Yep, I saw that. But the most I've ever paid for a hamburger was $8.99 for an 8 oz Angus hamburger & fries. (Don't hamburgers always come with fries??) That's why the hamburger prices floored me.

As for the other prices, we rarely eat out and when we do it is not usually at an upscale restaurant. So dinner for the two of us is rarely more than $30, before the tip, and that's steak. I guess I need to get realistic about prices elsewhere.

Just a fun FYI - while certainly not gourmet, an Anchorage summertime tradition are the downtown hot dog vendors on 4th avenue. These are no ordinary hot dogs but polish or reindeer sausage dogs. Several of the vendors combine them with onions grilled in cola and them serve them on a good size hoagie bun. You also get chips and a drink to go with it. Usually run about $5.00 and they're delicious.

Competition between vendors is fierce so there can be some good deals if you want something to eat while you walk around downtown. Health conscious, no...tasty, yes!

Yep, I saw that. But the most I've ever paid for a hamburger was $8.99 for an 8 oz Angus hamburger & fries. (Don't hamburgers always come with fries??) That's why the hamburger prices floored me.

As for the other prices, we rarely eat out and when we do it is not usually at an upscale restaurant. So dinner for the two of us is rarely more than $30, before the tip, and that's steak. I guess I need to get realistic about prices elsewhere.

You are seriously going to travel all the way to Anchorage on a 2 week cruise and worry about a $5 price difference on a Hamburger? Might be worth it to spend the extra few bucks and eat in town to conserve your time in Anchorage than making your way back the ship for meals.

Another option you might check out is Snow Goose. We ate their last Summer and enjoyed it. The Caribou burgers were excellent. Great views and they brew their own beer! Don't remember it being overly expensive.

Just a fun FYI - while certainly not gourmet, an Anchorage summertime tradition are the downtown hot dog vendors on 4th avenue. These are no ordinary hot dogs but polish or reindeer sausage dogs. Several of the vendors combine them with onions grilled in cola and them serve them on a good size hoagie bun. You also get chips and a drink to go with it. Usually run about $5.00 and they're delicious.

Competition between vendors is fierce so there can be some good deals if you want something to eat while you walk around downtown. Health conscious, no...tasty, yes!

My husband LOVES hotdogs. This sounds like something he'd really like.

He still talks about the unique hotdog he had in Cologne Germany, so I know he'd like this. Thanks for telling me about it.

I just had one by the PAC(Performing Arts Centre) right down town the other day and it was so good. I had the Polish dog and oh boy was it yummy and FYI its very filling. Also for anyone that is driving we do have Costo's in Anchorage and you can get a Polish dog and a soda for a 1.50 now thats a bang up deal for Anchorage.

We'd been booked in a Category E oceanview but yesterday our TA phoned us with an upsell offer from HAL for a Category A verandah suite. We accepted the upsell offer so now I'm even more excited about our cruise. I was excited before but now I'm positively ecstatic! To bundle up and have morning coffee on the balcony, enjoying the view. Such heaven!! Floor to ceiling windows. What a way to see Glacier Bay.

In just 11 days we embark on the Amsterdam. In less than 3 weeks we will be cruising up Cook's inlet into Anchorage!! Unbelievable!

I can hardly wait. Our first trip to Alaska and we'll see a lot of it.

Archived