Tips Assessed to Account??

Sauer-kraut

Can't seem to find it on the FAQ on Cunard's website. Is there a daily service/tipping charge billed to the cabin on the passenger account or does one still do the cash envelope at the end of the cruise? Its been so long since I've been on Cunard that I really can't remember what we did.

Also, can a travel agent get a better price than booking with an online TA or Cunard directly? I am looking at the TA to Hamburg April 2011 and the price really seems high right now. I can't book until Dec because my vacation schedule isn't up for bid until then. Maybe I should just fly to Europe.... <sigh> :confused:

There is a daily service charge assessed to your account. I think on our last cruise the rate was $13 per day per person. You can have this amount adjusted or removed depending upon your satisfaction of the level of service you received (we have never done this - in fact, I have tipped on top of this amount).

Gratuities are automatically charged to your shipboard account for dining room waiter, cabin steward, and other personnel. The per person (including children) per day rates are $13 for Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2 accommodation with Grill dining, $11 for QE2 and QM2 passengers who dine in the restaurants. Talk to the front desk about adjustments.

A 15% gratuity is automatically added to your bar or salon services. Award other gratuities as you deem appropriate.

Runners is correct. We have just finished 53 days as part of QM2's world trip. $11 per person per day Britannia or $13 per person per day Princess or Queen's Grill. It is automatically added to your on board account. They swipe your credit card when you board and you settle your account the day before you disembark. You can get regular updates of your account by phoning the Purser's Desk and they send it to your stateroom.

We decided to opt out of this tipping regime which is perfectly OK to do by filling in a form at the Purser's Desk. This must be done on Day 1 of your voyage. We tipped who we wished to after hearing that the usual Cunard tipping method didn't reach all to whom it is intended. All staff we tipped were very pleased with our arrangement.

We decided to opt out of this tipping regime which is perfectly OK to do by filling in a form at the Purser's Desk. This must be done on Day 1 of your voyage.

Only half right : It is perfectly OK to remove the tips but you don't have to do it on day 1. I've done it on the last day, unless they have changed the rules in the last 12 months or so.

And for the second part of the OP's question :

You can get much cheaper deals with TAs as opposed to booking online on the Cunard Website. I know it seems daft, as you'd think you were paying the TAs profit as well.

I have found that Travel agents vary in their prices (and perks of course) Some agents can get you better prices by booking you on a group booking (you do not have to "belong") Ask several agents about pricing, but do be sure they know that you are "only checking not booking at this time" On agent did say that prices were available only if booking then and there but this of course was just a sales gimmick.

Also think which grade of cabin you really must have. There is a great deal of difference between the price of Grills and insides, and of course, the verandah which might be wonderful in the caribbean or Haiwaii, can be a waste of money cross channel or Transatlantic.

Hope you get to make the trip

I have found that Travel agents vary in their prices (and perks of course) Some agents can get you better prices by booking you on a group booking (you do not have to "belong") Ask several agents about pricing, but do be sure they know that you are "only checking not booking at this time" On agent did say that prices were available only if booking then and there but this of course was just a sales gimmick.

Also think which grade of cabin you really must have. There is a great deal of difference between the price of Grills and insides, and of course, the verandah which might be wonderful in the caribbean or Haiwaii, can be a waste of money cross channel or Transatlantic.

Hope you get to make the trip

Thanks for your input, I have crossed before an inside cabin thinking there isn't much to see in the middle of the Atlantic. Oct. this year will be my first balcony cabin, however we are stopping in the Azores and Lisbon so it might be nice to have one. Actually cabin selection is my last criteria, usually book solely on itinerary, dates available and price. Hence my question about using a travel agent.

Archived