Beware

BEEZALAR

I didn't want to leave my GPS in the car while it was parked at the hotel all week so I had it in my bag...It was stolen out of my luggage when we boarded the Dream cruise on 4/24. So I don't care what they say, LOCK your luggage!

Did you put it in your checked luggage?? How could it get stolen. Carnival says do NOT leave any electronics in your checked luggage, sounds like you ignored their warning.

Im sorry that it was stolen, the folks x-raying them probably know Carnival assumes no liability if you leave electronics in your checked luggage. You are correct, do NOT do this.

I carry on anything of value and I have cruised 14 times. This is the first time I forgot to remove something and sure enough it was stolen. Just goes to prove my point.........trust noone. Sad that carnival has that kind of people working for them!

I carry on anything of value and I have cruised 14 times. This is the first time I forgot to remove something and sure enough it was stolen. Just goes to prove my point.........trust noone. Sad that carnival has that kind of people working for them!

Why would you assume it was a Carnival employee. It could have been:

• The porter
  • The security screener
  • A passenger after you bag was dropped in front of your room

I do feel bad, Id hate to get anything stolen. I said I was sorry and I meant it.

WOW WOW WOW, you just stepped over the line when you said it was Carnival that stole your GPS. It could have been any person that touched your bag, from the time you handed it to the luggage porter outside the terminal.

You have know idea who or when your GPS was stolen, but you are blaming Carnival. You don't have the facts to assume that.

Sorry to hear that. You are very lucky, though, that you do not live close to the port. If it was someone who was not actually on the ship that stole it, then all the thief would have to do is click the [Home] button on your GPS, and have a nice raid on your house while you were cruising! :eek:

So another safety tip - don't put your ACTUAL home address in your GPS, just in case it gets stolen.

IF you decide to LOCK your luggage you may find your self being called to security to UNLOCK it! The cruise line, Homeland Security, Port Auth and police have the right to go thru your check bags. This can happen if the

"K-9" dogs "alert" to your bag, all bags that the dogs "alert" on are opened and searched.

I NEVER EVER pack anything worth anything in my checked bags. I also carry a change of clothes just in case my bags are lost somewhere or left @ the curb (which happened a few years ago).

Our last cruise on the Pride, a women in the cabin next to us had her bag delievered only to find that it was HER bag by the contents NOT and her bags were locked when she checked them at the pier.

Sorry to hear that. You are very lucky, though, that you do not live close to the port. If it was someone who was not actually on the ship that stole it, then all the thief would have to do is click the [Home] button on your GPS, and have a nice raid on your house while you were cruising! :eek:

So another safety tip - don't put your ACTUAL home address in your GPS, just in case it gets stolen.

That's a good tip!:D

Why is it that you are assuming it was a Carnival employee? Did you see the actual person that opened your luggage and took the GPS out? There are many people that touch your luggage before a Carnival employee does. It may have been a Carnival employee, or one of the other numerous persons that work at the port, but to assume that it is a Carnival employee, is just illogical or a bias against Carnival employees and the line in general.

Our GPS, just like our cameras, laptops, Kindle, jewelry always go in our carryon. I put nothing but clothes and toiletries in the luggage. It could have been stolen by any number of people, only a few which are actually employed by Carnival. Do you always place blame without any proof?

Why is it that you are assuming it was a Carnival employee? Did you see the actual person that opened your luggage and took the GPS out? There are many people that touch your luggage before a Carnival employee does. It may have been a Carnival employee, or one of the other numerous persons that work at the port, but to assume that it is a Carnival employee, is just illogical or a bias against Carnival employees and the line in general.

I don't agree.

Just based on probabilities, the likelihood is that it would be someone with Carnival since it would have almost certainly been in Carnival's possession longer than any of the others mentioned, combined

If we assume everyone is equally honest (and to do otherwise would be illogical), than the longer it is in a person's possession/dominion and control, and if it disappears, the more likelihood it happened on their watch.

Not a flame, just a fact.

The baggage smashers do not work for Carnival, they are independent contractors to and of Port Canaveral. I to am sorry for your loss, but, I think your point is that you know you made an error and are trying to caution the rest of us. Right?

Doc

It sounds more like someone knew what was in there. My guess is someone working in or near the screening area not someone on the ship. It's a risk you take when you leave valuables in your luggage, locked or not I bet it wouldn't have been there when you got your bag.

I don't agree.

Just based on probabilities, the likelihood is that it would be someone with Carnival since it would have almost certainly been in Carnival's possession longer than any of the others mentioned, combined

If we assume everyone is equally honest (and to do otherwise would be illogical), than the longer it is in a person's possession/dominion and control, and if it disappears, the more likelihood it happened on their watch.

How would it necessarily be in Carnival's possession any longer than another entity? It may have been or it may not have been. It's all just speculation. The OP could have dropped off luggage at noon and it have been on the ship in 30 minutes, or it could have sat with the porters or in "screening" before being loaded for 3 hours for all we know. Or it could have been delivered quicky and sat outside the stateroom for hours.

Sure, it could have been a Carnival employee. Or a porter. Or some other dock worker. Or a dishonest passenger swiping stuff from the cases out in the hall after they've been delivered. There's really no way to know.

To the op - that sucks! I'm really sorry it happened. I know you forgot about it, but to anyone new - always carry any electronics, meds, jewelry, documents, credit cards, etc. in your carryon and never check them. Thefts like this happen a lot in airports, too. :(

I don't agree.

Smiles. Actually, we do not have all the "facts" needed to compute just how long it was in Carnival's possession. What we do know is this, the OP placed a GPS in their checked luggage, we can conclude that it was placed in checked luggage from the OP's statement concerning the past 14 cruises and valuables. The only other fact we know, is that when the OP got the luggage, the GPS was missing.

My point simply is this, to assume, based on logic, or bias, or just the flip of a coin, that it was a Carnival employee, is simply incorrect on anyone's part.

It is easy to blame Carnival as that is the line or the business you are vacationing with. There are other people that handle luggage at a port besides a Carnival employee, in fact, a Carnival employee does not even touch the luggage until it is on the ship. While it is in port there are others handling it.

Again, it is a shame that this happened, no matter who or which company employed the person, that is of course not taking into consideration that luggage sits in hallways and any number of passengers had opportunity to steal the item as well.

Hey, doesn't a GPS, like a cell phone have the ability to be tracked? If so call your GPS provider and find out where it is.:D

I don't have a GPS provider once you buy it you don't subscribe to anything.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in firefly's name and the ability to flame any post?

That's not a flame. Go spend some more time on the internet before you start donning fireproof clothing for no reason.

Hey, doesn't a GPS, like a cell phone have the ability to be tracked? If so call your GPS provider and find out where it is.:D

The GPS manufacturer doesn't require you to sign up for any service, hence no record of who has what GPS unit. Nothing is verifiable, so they wouldn't release that information anyway.

I didn't want to leave my GPS in the car while it was parked at the hotel all week so I had it in my bag...It was stolen out of my luggage when we boarded the Dream cruise on 4/24. So I don't care what they say, LOCK your luggage!

That sucks, my total sympathies. It's a hard way to learn that anything of value like electronics should be in your carry-on. (Luggage locks are good to look out, but a bag can opened just as easily with a boxcutter if someone really wants your stuff.)

Archived