Roll Call Seabourn Odyssey 7/3/10

VegasDave

Sorry Marja I will be getting off on the 10th July unfortunately, it would have been lovely to meet you:)

Also I believe you are doing the 2 weeks which i really wanted to do the Black Sea? on the 17th July

deb

Hi Deb,you should have done the two weeks it really is a good trip.

I have done it once on the Spirit and once on the Odyssey.Yalta is great.

Thanks for the welcome Deb,

Looking forward to meeting you on the cruise!

===============================================

Anyone else leaving the cruise at Istanbul?

I am trying to chose between the two hotels offered in the post-cruise section?

The Ritz-Carlton and the Intercontinental

Any recomendations on these two?

I stayed at the Cirrigan Palace which is a lovely hotel on the Bospherous, probaly not as central as say the 4 Seasons hotel (the old prison one) which is bang slap in middle of the city, however Istanbul is very manic so it is nice to be able to escape the noise and relax after a hard days sight seeing

see you on board

deb

Okay, this is what I have so far:

Flopsy 2008 (are you travelling alone or with better half?)

Dmb707 and better hlf

VegasDave (alone or with better half?)

Grace Smith & DH (better half)

Is everyone okay with meeting at the Sky Bar after the Life Boat Drill?

How will we recognize one another?????????????:confused:

Let's get our act together!:D

Not sure how you will recognise me:p

see you on the 3rd, enjoy the 1st week

deb

Hi Deb,you should have done the two weeks it really is a good trip.

I have done it once on the Spirit and once on the Odyssey.Yalta is great.

Hi Your Lordship;) I cant take 2 weeks this year at once due to a furry 4 legged puppy, pushing it having 1 week away

Definately will do the Black Sea next year, I have wanted to for the last 2 years

What cruises are you doing?

I hope you are both well

deb

Hi Your Lordship;) I cant take 2 weeks this year at once due to a furry 4 legged puppy, pushing it having 1 week away

Definately will do the Black Sea next year, I have wanted to for the last 2 years

What cruises are you doing?

I hope you are both well

deb

Yes thanks Deb we are well,my wife says that she will look after the puppy for you.Are you still in the area?

We are off to California for August with friends that we met on the Odyssey.I just can't find anything that we have not done before that interests us.

We have three weeks booked on the Legend for August next year and I will look for something for Jan 2011.We also have an invite from friends that have a large apartment on the World.

Yes thanks Deb we are well,my wife says that she will look after the puppy for you.Are you still in the area?

We are off to California for August with friends that we met on the Odyssey.I just can't find anything that we have not done before that interests us.

We have three weeks booked on the Legend for August next year and I will look for something for Jan 2011.We also have an invite from friends that have a large apartment on the World.

Yes still local to you, take her ladyship up to High Elms a lot for walks most weekends, are your dog sitting rates reasonable:D

I know what you mean about trying to find a cruise that is different, that is the only problem with SB, the same old itinaries, Silversea have far better one, but not as good on board

No doubt you will enjoy the Californian Wines:)

deb

Yes still local to you, take her ladyship up to High Elms a lot for walks most weekends, are your dog sitting rates reasonable:D

I know what you mean about trying to find a cruise that is different, that is the only problem with SB, the same old itinaries, Silversea have far better one, but not as good on board

No doubt you will enjoy the Californian Wines:)

deb

Dog sitting rates reasonable,the cats might not be so reasonable though.

Funny thing is that the places that we will stay in California are seriously into French wines,that suits me fine being a purist.I find that my palate always comes back to prefering French wines.

We nearly booked the new Oceania Marina which looks great.good choice of restaurants and itineraries and nice large suites.Chickened out with the amount of passengers aboard and after reading the Oceania boards.Seabourn need to have fewer seven day cruises as the feel is really different to a longer trip.

Dog sitting rates reasonable,the cats might not be so reasonable though.

Funny thing is that the places that we will stay in California are seriously into French wines,that suits me fine being a purist.I find that my palate always comes back to prefering French wines.

We nearly booked the new Oceania Marina which looks great.good choice of restaurants and itineraries and nice large suites.Chickened out with the amount of passengers aboard and after reading the Oceania boards.Seabourn need to have fewer seven day cruises as the feel is really different to a longer trip.

Glad the rates are reasonable, she loves cats they dont like her!

I totally agree with you that SB need to do more cruises that are not 7 days, from memory it is only the Black Sea cruise on Odyssey that is a 14 day cruise, which is one of the reasons we were going to do it, I hate being on a 7 day cruise and then everyone gets off and it all starts again, the atmosphere is so much better on the longer cruises.

We did 17 nights on the Pride last October which was a great cruise and a fantastic atmosphere on board

Glad that you have the wine situation sorted in California:D

Sorry Marja I will be getting off on the 10th July unfortunately, it would have been lovely to meet you:)

Also I believe you are doing the 2 weeks which i really wanted to do the Black Sea? on the 17th July

deb

Yes indeed we will be doing 3 weeks. I'm sorry I will miss you too....

Marja

If your time in Istanbul is limited definitely stay at the Four Seasons in the Sultanhamet(old town). You are within a couple of blocks of all of the places you will likely want to visit -- Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, Cisterns and the Topkopi palace. The hotel is low rise, intimate and has wonderful service. Besides, you will earn bragging rights -- how often can you tell your friends you escaped from a Turkish Prison ?( And all you had to do was surrender your Amex card.)

Welcome to Flopsy2008!:)

Steffar, are you in?:confused:

Finally we r in....taking up yr challenge milord :cool:

It will be our first visit to Istanbul and we l be staying for two days post cruise..any ideas if it is better to stay in the old city or on the Bospherus side

thx

steph

Okay, hope I have all of this right!:D This is what we have:

Flopsy 2008 and other half

Dmb707 and better half from UK

VegasDave (alone or with better half?)

Grace Smith & DH (better half) from NJ

Steffar & better half from Malta

PALady & better half from Fla.

Anderfsu & better half from Fla.

Marja, so sorry that we don't get to meet you! 3 weeks is just the right length for a cruise, maybe next year.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Not long before we join the cruise at Athens. Very excited now. We are having a couple of days in the city before we join the cruise.

Does anyone know how easy it will be to find the boat at the pier when we arrive? Have been to Pireas before and remember how big and sprawling it was.

Not long before we join the cruise at Athens. Very excited now. We are having a couple of days in the city before we join the cruise.

Does anyone know how easy it will be to find the boat at the pier when we arrive? Have been to Pireas before and remember how big and sprawling it was.

The Odyssey should be a lot easier to spot than the triplets:D I dont believe you will have a problem spotting her in Pireas

I am flying in on Friday and will spent a night in Athens

See you on board have a safe trip

deb

we l be in Athens on Friday as well. Does anyone know at which cruise terminal the Odyssey will be docked, cause I cannot find anything on my documents.

Thx Steffi:confused:

Steffi,

My documentation says

Piraeus Passenger Ship Terminals

Akti Xaveriou

Piraeus

===========

An internet site about the ports says

The cruise ship berths are on the quays to the southern side of the port.

Cruise liners moor at Cruise Terminal A or Cruise Terminal B. Cruise Terminal A, approached by entrance E11, is located in the middle of the harbour between the Mioulis and Xaveris docks. Cruise Terminal B, approached by gate E12, sits at the entrance of the harbour, inside the Termistokleous breakwater.

============

My travel agent contacted Seabourn for me to see which terminal it ill be. They don't know and probably won't until shortly before they dock.

Seabourn said that there is a Security kiosk before the gates that we should be able to ask at.

Hope that helps.

Thx Flopsy

Yes mine says acti xaveriou as well, so its either terminal A or B: however there is half a mile between the two!

I guess we l just have to try terminal A first and then move on to B if its not there...

Thx for your help

Steffi:)

I truly hope nobody of those embarking the Odyssey on July 3 in Athens (Piraeus) will be bothered by the strikes that are going on at the moment...

Have a great cruise!

Marja

Hi Marja

That is one of the reasons i am flying in on Friday to take the pressure off getting there on the same day

thanks for letting us know

well done Netherlands in the World Cup I hope you beat Brazil, at least i can now have a stress free holiday without England playing!!;)

enjoy your cruise

regards

deb

Thx Flopsy

Yes mine says acti xaveriou as well, so its either terminal A or B: however there is half a mile between the two!

I guess we l just have to try terminal A first and then move on to B if its not there...

Thx for your help

Steffi:)

Dont worry about which Terminal as soon as you come into Pireas you can spot the ship and know where to go, unless you are coming by Public Transport then you may have a problem not advisable in the heat:rolleyes:

I guess it won't be difficult to find the ship in Piraeus - never has been before - but I advise you to take your time, because there are some troubles caused by people who want to prevent passengers to go to the (ferry)terminals. At least that has been the case for some days already. Hopefully by Saturday it will be quiet again. Seabourn's agent should assist you getting to the ship alright.

Have a great cruise!

Marja

hi Marja

We r stifling in athens...saw Holland win..congrats..it must be Orange Day again in Holland...bet you are looking forward to seeing the final on board!

looking forward to boarding Odyssey in less than 24 hrs!

steffi

Two more Seabourn newbies are reporting in for July 3rd _10th. We used the last 5 years to make the long way up from NCL via RCCL, Celebrity. Cunard and Azamara to come finaly to Seabourn and are very excited. Sorry for my English, which is not my mother tongue!!! See you at Sky Bar!!!

Archived