Please Post Pics of Your LEGAL Bar

Sooooo ....doesn't matter if I'm cruising for 5 days or 12, I just can bring the 12 cans and a bottle of wine or champagne? All is not fair!
So, what kind of mixers would be available at the buffet? Tomato juice for Bloody Marys? Cranberry juice? Maybe we need to expand the thread to drinks created with the basics.
Sign me up for a smuggling lesson - I'm jumping threads!

From everything I read there's not really a risk involved if you get caught. They take the booze and you re-claim it at the end of the week. Yes, you aren't going to save any money on the cruise but come one, like the rest of us who enjoying drinking, that booze isn't going to get wasted in the end. :cool:

This is straight from the liquor policy link provided above:

All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

[quote name='obxbums']From everything I read there's not really a risk involved if you get caught. They take the booze and you re-claim it at the end of the week. Yes, you aren't going to save any money on the cruise but come one, like the rest of us who enjoying drinking, that booze isn't going to get wasted in the end. :cool:

[COLOR="Gray"]This is straight from the liquor policy link provided above:

All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. [/COLOR][B]Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded[/B][COLOR="gray"], as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well, I wouldn't say there's no risk. Sure, it's very unlikely that you will be the example they decide to set for others and deny you from boarding the ship. However, if you're carrying liquor in anything but the unopened original container, you won't see it or the container again. Original container appears to really increase the odds of getting caught, which is the whole point of things like rumrunners and other techniques. Especially so if your preferred beverage is only available in glass bottles.

So with original unopened containers, there's a higher risk of detection -- but you get it back later. With rum runners or other techniques, there's the risk you lose the contents and container permanently. In either event there's the consequence of either doing without (reduced enjoyment) or having to pay bar prices (higher S&S bill). When you factor the risk-weighted "cost" of these consequences if you get caught, the price-premium for ordering from BV isn't as high -- and in some cases may work out about the same. In other words, part of what you're paying for when you buy through BV is the guarantee that you'll have a couple bottles in your stateroom. Sort of like buying "insurance". :)

As to ordering bottles through room service if you should lose your "cargo", I'm not confident that this is widely available; it may or may not be, but if it was I'd think we'd see more chatter about that option. Might be nice to ask folks to ask about it when they cruise and report back so CC gets a better community knowledge in this regard.

I'm going to ask this one more time and hope I get an answer. I have asked it on a few other threads. I always carry on a BIG JUG of wine. They always let me thru. With the crackdowns, does anyone know if they will take THAT away because it's not "regulation size?" :confused: Do they actually check to see the size or just that it's wine/champagne?

Anyone that has bought through BV, I'm just curious are you limited on quantities that you can buy?

I'm not sure we're even going to bother with liquor smuggled or bought via BV but the last 6 pages of this thread have been some great entertainment. :-)

I figure my bar bill is going to be what it is going to be... I'm on vacation... oh well. :-)

[quote name='obxbums']Anyone that has bought through BV, I'm just curious are you limited on quantities that you can buy?

I'm not sure we're even going to bother with liquor smuggled or bought via BV but the last 6 pages of this thread have been some great entertainment. :-)

I figure my bar bill is going to be what it is going to be... I'm on vacation... oh well. :-)[/quote]

Yes, I just called this morning and 3 reps told me 2 bottles per cabin are allowed. This is per cabin not per person.. ;)

Ava_grl_123 -- Thanks for the info. That's good to know if we decide to go that route. I'm planning to drink beer and resigned myself to those prices. (From the prices I've seen for beer they're actually better prices than most hotels I've stayed at in the last few years.)

Archived