British Isle Cruise

We are booked on a cruise out of Southampton on July 17th. The ship begins boarding at 1 PM and departs at 5 PM. Our flight arrives at Heathrow at 7:30. Will there be enough time to do a HOHO tour of London and still make it to Southampton in time for our ships departure? If so what is the best way to get from London to Southampton?

Here's my guess at a timetable:

7:30 Land

8:30 Clear Immigration, get baggage and clear Customs

9:00 Check baggage at Heathrow

9:30 - 10:00 Arrive in Central London by Heathrow Express (earlier time) or Underground.

12:00 Depart Central London for Heathrow, pick up your luggage from storage

1 pm Depart Heathrow by car service for Southampton - NO LATER!

3 - 3:30 Arrive Southampton docks and board ship

Most ships want to you to check in at least 90 minutes before sailing, so this is a tight schedule; a flat tire and you've missed your ship.

So you have two hours in Central London. I wouldn't do the Ho-Ho, but I'd select a few sights within walking distance to just get a flavor of London (I'm assuming that this is a first visit) - maybe Piccadilly Circus, then number 14 bus to Brompton Road and ask the driver to let you off near Harrods or tube to Knightsbridge and walk a few blocks to Harrods, then back to Knightsbridge tube to take a Piccadilly Line train to back to Heathrow. I think that this would take up 2 hours nicely - if you can keep from getting nervous about all of the pieces which have to fall into place for you to make your ship on time.

1 hour from Central London to Heathrow and collecting your luggage is cutting it a bit too fine IMHO. I live near South Kensington and we allow 1.5 hours for the tube to Heathrow and getting to the right terminal.

I don't think I would risk it just for the sake of a couple of hours in London. You would be travelling into London at a busy time and, as another poster has said, any breakdowns or delays on the way to Southampton and you could miss your cruise.

We are booked on a cruise out of Southampton on July 17th. The ship begins boarding at 1 PM and departs at 5 PM. Our flight arrives at Heathrow at 7:30. Will there be enough time to do a HOHO tour of London and still make it to Southampton in time for our ships departure?
Short answer: No, there isn't - unless you really like living dangerously. Just go straight to Southampton.

Archived