Athens flights are cancelled due to strikes

Fblack

I Know,but the info provided about what is going on there is false.

I know we all mean well ,but providing false information and constant characterizations of others on these threads,based on that info should not, in my opinion, go unanswered.

I know you do not know the info about the finances of the people and especially about the so called riots there is false, but they definitely have a direct affect our fellow CC members plans and decisions.

Not say anything about scaring them to death.

If this is not travel related ,what is?

Good luck and happy and safe travel to all.

We're leaving for the airport in a few minutes to fly to Athens. Will post how it is there tomorrow as we're staying 1 night there pre-cruise. So nervous hands are shaking but as someone said, have been planning this trip forever so.....

I saw your later posts and I'm glad you arrived OK. We'll be going in June and staying pre-cruise at the Grand Bretagne mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I hope to use my merely showing up there as a reason to get a good upgrade.

Anyway I'm just a product of the '60s. I've seen plenty of demonstrations in my lifetime. It will be refreshing to see people demonstrating against a nation other than my own for a change, but I'd prefer for the demonstrations to end.

As was said in the movies . . . "He's Back!!!".

As if people trying to get to Greece don't have enough worries, here's an added complication. The Iceland volcano is spitting out ash again that is closing some airports today, with more closings to happen on Sunday. Some flights can fly around the path of this ash. Others can't.

From the AP newswire with in the last hour, they have this headline: "Ash delays and reroutes trans-Atlantic flights" with these added details and highlights: "The Icelandic volcano with the unpronounceable name reminded the world again that it has the power to disrupt international travel — coughing out a spreading cloud of ash that delayed or canceled hundreds of flights between Europe and North America on Saturday. The prospects for Sunday flights remained grim, with no improvement in sight for trans-Atlantic passengers, and with a plume of low-altitude ash continuing to float eastward over Spain and southern France. Flights had to be rerouted north over Greenland or south around Spain to avoid the 1,200-mile (2,000-kilometer)-long cloud stretching from Iceland to northern Spain. Approximately 600 airliners make the oceanic crossing every day. Around 40 percent were rerouted southward and the rest skirted Iceland from the north, according to Eurocontrol."

See the full story at:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jh7lQ-qBxQMPzPd3Iap7_s3YDBfQD9FIQ3I00

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

I'm sweating to. We are on Regent Seven Seas trip 05/14-05/21 (Venice to Greece). My wife and I are disussing right now if we are going.

I say yes (even though we are staying at something called the Grand Bregard (or something like that)- which the wife says is right by Parliment (by the riots!).

Bob Schultz

raleighnc1

The Grande Bretagne is our favorite hotel in Athens because of its perfect location and elegance. If there are demonstrations (or riots) at Syntagma Square you will have a front row seat.

Hank

The Grande Bretagne is our favorite hotel in Athens because of its perfect location and elegance. If there are demonstrations (or riots) at Syntagma Square you will have a front row seat. Hank

Normally, I agree 100% with Hank. This time, the pro versus con of "front row seats" are a mixed bag. Sometimes in a theater it is super great, especially for a drama production with a small cast. For the bigger musicals, being back a little to see "the overall action" can be much, much better. For demonstrations or riots, I would prefer the Plaka that is closer to the historic beauty, great food, etc., and away from the smell of tear gas. Personal choice!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The original question was taking a child on a walking tour of Athens. At this time, having been there on May 4,2010, I would say no. Take a scheduled excursion either private or with the cruise line. We had a great tour with Paul and he was able to avoid all the trouble, but the whole city had an air of unrest. There were soldiers on the street with machine guns and we just got out of the city before the streets were blocked for the protests. The next day, we saw where we had been and there were deaths from a car bomb.The cruise was great, but then the volcanoe canceled our flight from Venice to JFK on Sunday. We did get home by going to Paris, but the whole trip home was very stressful. We wished we had taken only carryons and used the ship's laundry more than once.We will not be planning another European trip until both the volcanoe and the protests calm down.I had told myself that if we missed Athens, that would be a great reason to take another cruise there down the road! By the way, Dubrovnik, Turkey(Ephesus), Nafplion and Venice were great! So was the weather!

Archived