Passport expiring next month?

Hi everyone,

I am cruising on LOS on a 7-day closed-loop cruise (Miami) on 5/22, but one member of my cruising party just found out that his passport is expiring at the end of June. On the RCL website it says that passengers should have a passport that expires no sooner than 6 months from sail date. Is this just a recommendation or do they strictly adhere to that policy? Will my friend be able to get on the ship?

I am aware that you don't need a passport for closed-loop cruises, but my friend also does not know where his birth certificate is since he has moved several times in the last few years. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi everyone,

I am cruising on LOS on a 7-day closed-loop cruise (Miami) on 5/22, but one member of my cruising party just found out that his passport is expiring at the end of June. On the RCL website it says that passengers should have a passport that expires no sooner than 6 months from sail date. Is this just a recommendation or do they strictly adhere to that policy? Will my friend be able to get on the ship?

I am aware that you don't need a passport for closed-loop cruises, but my friend also does not know where his birth certificate is since he has moved several times in the last few years. Thanks in advance for your help!

He needs to contact the vital records department in the state he lives in and just get another certified copy of his BC. Use that along with his DL.

I doubt the passport is gonna work.

I guess it depends on who is checking him in at the port but I dont see that one getting by.

The 6 month rule is to enter a country that requires a passport, a lot of countries require that the passport is valid for 6 months. On a closed loop cruise, there are no countries that require a passport for Americans, you only need your pp to get back into the US. The US will not have a problem with a passport that expires soon but has not expired

The 6 month rule is to enter a country that requires a passport, a lot of countries require that the passport is valid for 6 months. On a closed loop cruise, there are no countries that require a passport for Americans, you only need your pp to get back into the US. The US will not have a problem with a passport that expires soon but has not expired

Can you please explain this to me a bit better. I know that Mexico gives people a headache with a passport within 6 months of sailing. Are you suggesting that because the ship starts and ends in Miami that the passport won't be necessary?

My next question: Does this hold true for sailings out of Seattle where the only other country that you stop in is Canada?

Cheryl

Can you please explain this to me a bit better. I know that Mexico gives people a headache with a passport within 6 months of sailing. Are you suggesting that because the ship starts and ends in Miami that the passport won't be necessary?

My next question: Does this hold true for sailings out of Seattle where the only other country that you stop in is Canada?

Cheryl

They are not "suggesting" it. They are clearly stating a fact:

You are not required to have a passport for any "closed loop" cruise - that is one which sails out of and back to the same US port. That holds true whether the cruise goes to Canada,Mexico or ports in the Caribbean. :)

Cheryl

Yes, to my understanding that any closed-loop cruise starting and ending in the same port in the US does not require a passport, BUT you will need proof of citizenship and photo ID. That usually means a birth certificate or certificate of naturalization plus your driver's license.

I should have expanded my response a bit. While you do not need a passport for a closed-loop cruise, you will need proof of citizenship which for most of us is a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID (a state driver's license will fill the bill).:)

Hi everyone,

they can board and sail with the passport expiring in June no problem. there is no port in the Caribbean that requires the 6 month rule. Have a good time

I believe a closed loop cruise is only if you start and end in a US port without ANY non-US stops in between. So, therefore, you would not need a passport since you would not be getting off the ship in any other countries. That translates into no-one would be getting ON, which would then require a passport to get back into the US. Not really any different than a boat trip to key west or something.

I should have expanded my response a bit. While you do not need a passport for a closed-loop cruise, you will need proof of citizenship which for most of us is a certified birth certificate and a government issued photo ID (a state driver's license will fill the bill).:)

Women using their married last name MAY need to show proof of their name change (i.e., marriage certificate). I say MAY because my mom sailed twice before she got a passport. She was asked once to provide proof of her name change. Her driver's license says "Mary Kay Smith" but her birth certificate has "Mary Kay Jones". Fortunately I had warned her that was a possibility so she had her marriage certificate with her.

On the RCL website it says that passengers should have a passport that expires no sooner than 6 months from sail date. Is this just a recommendation or do they strictly adhere to that policy?

Where does it say this? I'm curious, because I was looking, thinking it may only say that under international (non-US) departures, but I didn't see they 6-mo. rule anywhere under their documentation requirements. It is a rule for entry into some countries, but it shouldn't be a problem for your cruise.

Even an expired (but not invalidated) passport is valid as proof of citizenship for entry into the US. I've even flown to Canada once (on a last minute business trip) with an expired passport; I was questioned for about 5 seconds, but let in since a passport wasn't actually required at the time. Probably couldn't do that now; but with an unexpired passport there should be no issue, since it's not like you're flying one-way into a country and going to stay up to 180 days.

I believe a closed loop cruise is only if you start and end in a US port without ANY non-US stops in between. So, therefore, you would not need a passport since you would not be getting off the ship in any other countries. That translates into no-one would be getting ON, which would then require a passport to get back into the US. Not really any different than a boat trip to key west or something.

A closed loop cruise is one that starts and ends at the same US port, you can get off the ship in the countries you visit.

they can board and sail with the passport expiring in June no problem. there is no port in the Caribbean that requires the 6 month rule. Have a good time

You are talking about just visiting the port right? Because I know that at least St Lucia and Bermuda require a passport valid for 6 months for air travel (my husband actually had to get his passport expedited because we didn't think you had to for Bermuda and his passport was expiring within 3 months. My good friend also had to get her passport expedited for St Lucia for her honeymoon because hers was expiring 2 months from her travel dates).

I would check with RCCL but I think they are going to recommend 6 months because they don't want to have to deal with issues if, say for instance, the person needs to fly outside the US for any reason (either to catch the boat or to leave early etc.)

You are talking about just visiting the port right? Because I know that at least St Lucia and Bermuda require a passport valid for 6 months for air travel (my husband actually had to get his passport expedited because we didn't think you had to for Bermuda and his passport was expiring within 3 months. My good friend also had to get her passport expedited for St Lucia for her honeymoon because hers was expiring 2 months from her travel dates).

I would check with RCCL but I think they are going to recommend 6 months because they don't want to have to deal with issues if, say for instance, the person needs to fly outside the US for any reason (either to catch the boat or to leave early etc.)

No, neither have that caveat. If you are seeing it please show me where.

No, actually it is not legal for foreign flagged ships (pretty much all major cruise ships) to do an itinerary that starts in the U.S., stops at other U.S. ports, and returns to the same U.S. port without having stopped at a foreign country. That is why Hawaii cruises are so difficult for the cruise lines - they cannot simply island hop in Hawaii, but have to also travel to a foreign country (and there are none close by). A closed loop cruise is a cruise that starts and ends at the same port, but by law, it has to call upon a foreign port (or no ports at all).

That is incorrect. In fact "closed loop"cruises regularly visit one or more foreign ports before returning to the US port from which it originally sailed. Our Jewel repositioning cruise in October doesn't qualify as a "closed loop" cruise because she sails from Boston, visits a number of Caribbean ports buts ends up in Florida and because of that we will need a passport. However, we will then board the Liberty of the Seas which sails to and from Miami and visits ports in the Caribbean before returning to Miami. Because it does meet the requirements of a closed loopcruise we will be required to have a passport.

We were on Mariner in April and used our passports that expire in June without any hassle or question. That was Mexico and you're doing Caribbean, but just thought I'd share our experience. We took our BC along just in case, but at no point did we need to worry!

Sue, I'll bet JenandDan had to meet the airline requirement of 6 months, not the destination country requirement.

Correct. For our recent trip, we double checked with our airline (JetBlue) and they said my husband would not be allowed to travel if his passport was not valid for additional 6 months from date of travel. My friend flew 3 different airlines to St Lucia (2 flights each way) but it was her travel agent who called her to confirm a few weeks before her wedding to make sure both their passports would be good for 6 months. JetBlue told me when I called that since the new passport rules came into effect, most countries have made the requirement to at least 6 months when arriving/traveling by air.

Correct. For our recent trip, we double checked with our airline (JetBlue) and they said my husband would not be allowed to travel if his passport was not valid for additional 6 months from date of travel. My friend flew 3 different airlines to St Lucia (2 flights each way) but it was her travel agent who called her to confirm a few weeks before her wedding to make sure both their passports would be good for 6 months. JetBlue told me when I called that since the new passport rules came into effect, most countries have made the requirement to at least 6 months when arriving/traveling by air.

You were given wrong info, while the airline can "suggest" that the passport be valid for 6 months they can not make their own rules when it comes to this kind of stuff. Right off their website and NO where does it mention this 6 month rule you speak of

A valid passport is required for ALL customers (regardless of age) who are traveling to/from the United States and any country in the Western Hemisphere.

Please note: If the name on your travel documents does not match the name on the reservation, you may be required to show additional documents such as a notarized marriage certificate.

All customers must be checked in for their flight at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure and must be in the gate area at least 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

If you are jetting to an International destination, please check in at the ticket counter. We will not be liable for any charges incurred for baggage that was checked late, nor will we be liable for delivery or compensation

I was planning on using birth certificate for our entire family, closed loop. Does anyone know if the requirement for picture ID is for kids too? soon to be 16 yr will only be getting lerners permit mid May ....no other gov't picture Id...don't know if she will get the laminated permit by July. 6 & 7 years olds have no picture ID.

I was planning on using birth certificate for our entire family, closed loop. Does anyone know if the requirement for picture ID is for kids too? soon to be 16 yr will only be getting lerners permit mid May ....no other gov't picture Id...don't know if she will get the laminated permit by July. 6 & 7 years olds have no picture ID.

Under 16 years old no photo ID is necessary only the state certified copy of the bc.

You were given wrong info, while the airline can "suggest" that the passport be valid for 6 months they can not make their own rules when it comes to this kind of stuff. Right off their website and NO where does it mention this 6 month rule you speak of

A valid passport is required for ALL customers (regardless of age) who are traveling to/from the United States and any country in the Western Hemisphere.

Please note: If the name on your travel documents does not match the name on the reservation, you may be required to show additional documents such as a notarized marriage certificate.

All customers must be checked in for their flight at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure and must be in the gate area at least 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

If you are jetting to an International destination, please check in at the ticket counter. We will not be liable for any charges incurred for baggage that was checked late, nor will we be liable for delivery or compensation

I don't really know whose rules it was exactly - I had to speak to two different people and they looked up Bermuda requirements. I am only repeating what they told us and what my friend was told regarding air travel to other countries. Sea based - I am with everyone that it just doesn't need to be expired but they will recommend it to be valid for 6 months so you won't have issue if you need to fly. I know someone who went to the airport to fly to South America and was not allowed to fly because her passport was expiring soon. I didn't want to take that chance so I called the airline. They looked it up. I don't know who's rule it was but I'd rather get an expedited passport and be able to travel than not. I shared my experience so those who read this thread understood that it's trickier with air travel because of all the new rules.

Archived