Rough seas?

labtech

Nor from Baltimore, but from NJ. We had rough water until the next day...I was a bit ill, as was 15yo, but by the next morning the water calmed down. I was told on the ship that until we got further south the water could be a bit rough..Didn't ruin vacation, and we got through it. must be something with the waterways up here

In Dec. sailing out of Jacksonville, to the Bahamas, '08, the seas were so rough that they had barf bags by every elevator. I took Bonine 2X a day starting the day before, and never had a problem, but it was funny staggering from side to side down the hall to our cabins-- arms way out to help keep balance. If the ship rolled while you had a foot in the air-- you traveled sideways. in the MDR we laughed about how the horizon kept appearing and then disappearing as the ship rocked and rolled. MY daughter was almost bounced out of her bed on the Verandah deck but the next day, all was fine. I strongly suggest starting prevention BEFORE you get to the ship

I hope we have some in a few weeks! I am one of those crazy people who thinks rough seas are fun. :p

This if from last year's May 17 sailing on the Pride....

This one is from the outdoor promenade on deck 3

P5180086.jpg?t=1273001361

Later on in the cruise those decks were closed.

P5180088.jpg?t=1273001524

P5190102.jpg?t=1273001585

Amazing pics, Vacruizer! Wow! :eek:

Aww, thanks. :o It was one of my favorite cruises. Very relaxed and really neat to see a different side of the sea.

Those prone to seasickness would probably disagree with me. :p

Ok...I'm officially shivering!!!! Vacruiser...thanks for the pictures....whoa!!!! I certainly won't be telling my friends to check them out...I MAY be going alone!!! Your pictures were of practically one year to the day from our cruise on the 16th!!!!!

I hope we have some in a few weeks! I am one of those crazy people who thinks rough seas are fun. :p

This if from last year's May 17 sailing on the Pride....

This one is from the outdoor promenade on deck 3

Later on in the cruise those decks were closed.

I totally LOVE rough seas...We were a bit rough on our last day because there was a "small" hurricane supposedly brushing by us. I LOVED it. The constant motion relaxes me. My actual sorta complaint about being on a cruise ship is that I rarely feel the movement. Rough seas I feel it and it's heavenly.

With this being the time of year for storms, has anyone experienced any rough water sailing from Baltimore this past month? Leaving from there in less than 2 weeks!!!

EACH day at sea is unique. What the water was like last week, last month, last year, means nothing about today. This is not the real storm season, it doesn't start until June 1 and almost always starts out mild. Usually doesn't get going hard until August. But even then, if your ship is following behind a MAJOR hurricane, you would likely NEVER see CALMER water. A hurricane seems to suck ALL the energy out of the sea and sky as it passes. After a hurricane, bright sunshine, light breeze and GLASSY calm seas are not unusual.

With this being the time of year for storms, has anyone experienced any rough water sailing from Baltimore this past month? Leaving from there in less than 2 weeks!!!

You will either hit rough seas, or not.

You're aware you booked on a ship, right?

May - June should be ok.

Atlantic hurricane season starts in June and runs through October

We sailed the Pide out of Baltimore last August and caught the tail end of Bill (I think) as we came out of the Chesapeake Bay. We had some wave action but once the Pride got farther south it turned out beautiful. and rode the southwest side of Danny coming back in. Still beautiful.

Carnival planned well and since they have a deep interest in keeping their fleet intact, will look out for you as well.

I should add the disclaimer that this type thing is not normal. It can happen, but there's really no way to tell by time of year what the seas will be like.

Twice we have sailed from Norfolk the first weekend in June on a CTN. First year we had a pretty good bit of side-to-side rolling. Second year seas were like glass and you didn't know you were moving. You can have rough seas not in hurricane season, or completely flat seas in hurricane season.

I shouldn't have opened this thread.. :confused: I have never cruised before and I am somewhat scared now... :eek:

Don't worry and don't be scared. Even if you hit seas like this which is unlikely (took us 7 cruises before we saw anything like this) - there's a chance the seas won't bother you at all. Neither my dh or I are at all affected by motion. Ships are designed to handle much worse than this and they will keep you out of harm's way. Safety isn't an issue other than walking carefully on the ship - especially in heels on elegant night. I actually had to go change into flat sandals after dinner so I wouldn't break an ankle! :p

May - June should be ok.

Atlantic hurricane season starts in June and runs through October

We sailed the Pide out of Baltimore last August and caught the tail end of Bill (I think) as we came out of the Chesapeake Bay. We had some wave action but once the Pride got farther south it turned out beautiful. and rode the southwest side of Danny coming back in. Still beautiful.

Carnival planned well and since they have a deep interest in keeping their fleet intact, will look out for you as well.

JUNE 1 to NOVEMBER 30, "official hurricane season."

Several years ago on a Thanksgiving cruise on the Inspiration we had 15-20 foot swells, and it was like nothing I have ever felt before. Walking down the stairs was a challenge because you would go to put your foot down and the stairs moved away from you. People were laying down ALL OVER the ship, walking with barf bags, and every public restroom had people sitting on the floor and vomiting. On the Lido deck racks of food were sliding and crashing into each other. It was not a pretty sight. Even the crew was seasick, they looked a little green in the dining room. That was the only time I could honestly say I did not enjoy my cruise.

I also love the rough seas. With Bonine in me, the motion doesn't bother me, so I can just love the waves etc. The same way I love going to the beach in a storm ( NOT a hurricane) to enjoy the power of the waves and water from the shore

We had rough seas 1/2 day going into Cozumel on Saturday. Just need to have sea meds with you and take them before you get queasy. I love sea bands too. Must admit I never slept better than that morning. We had an aft cabin too so I was a bit concerned but not a big deal. Waves were due to wind - we actually had to leave Cozumel a bit early as the Captain was concerned about getting out of port in the wind. All was good though!

Archived