Bringing Wine OnBoard

5waldos

We always fill up our smaller suitcase with wine bought at our embarkation port. We either bring a glass of wine to dinner with us, or the bottle. It's hit and miss about the corking fee, although most of the time, we have been charged the fee. We don't mind, because we are getting wine that we prefer.

If we have wine left over at the end of the trip, we often leave it to our room steward.

Any wine left over in the dining room is saved for another night. They mark the bottle you brought. Even if you are in another dining room, they got get your bottle for you

Linda

Recently tried a Saki at Blow Fish -- $118 bottle! But it was 50% off. Wish the Vines on board would have Saki!

How is saki properly served? Chilled? Neat? I have had rice wine in the Far East and it was served room temperature in shot glasses. It was like fire water :eek:

This was 1 Litre wine bottle, chilled, and served from ice bucket just like white wine. This was their most expensive -- $118 at half-price special was $59 restaurant price. Being wine drinkers we wanted to compare it to a good wine. It went well with the sashimi. Other saki bottles ranged from $25 to $80. There was also a magnum available.

We are also normally accustomed to the warm saki in small / large carafes served in shot glasses.

Vines (on Ruby Oct 2009) had excellent sashimi and Oct 2011 we hope we are able to take some Japanese saki bottle from CA. I dont know whether we would find good saki at any of the Italian Port Calls but may be we just have to look for it.

How is saki properly served? Chilled? Neat? I have had rice wine in the Far East and it was served room temperature in shot glasses. It was like fire water :eek:

This was 1 Litre wine bottle, chilled, and served from ice bucket just like white wine. This was their most expensive -- $118 at half-price special was $59 restaurant price. Being wine drinkers we wanted to compare it to a good wine. It went well with the sashimi. Other saki bottles ranged from $25 to $80. There was also a magnum available.

We are also normally accustomed to the warm saki in small / large carafes served in shot glasses.

Vines (on Ruby Oct 2009) had excellent sashimi and Oct 2011 we hope we are able to take some Japanese saki bottle from CA. I dont know whether we would find good saki at any of the Italian Port Calls but may be we just have to look for it.

Hmm... I just read up on saki/sake (?). It's not as high in alcohol as I thought: 15-17%. Brewed more like a beer but served as a wine according to the article. Goes well with a slice of cucumber. Sounds like it would go down well at Vines with the sushi.

Have you considered asking Princess to stock it at Vines? One of our party asked for an item at the bar on an RCI cruise, which they didn't have. Next evening, they had acquired it in our port of call.

The Diamond does not have a Vines in its atrium, so sadly, I'll miss those great wine flights.

Since we'll be in Anchorage for a few days prior to the cruise, we plan to stop by Brown Jug to select wines to take aboard.

Darcy

If you bring wine on the Princess , you better bring expensive wine if you want to btring them in the dining room ( . As I got their wine card , they have a lot of wine between $22-28 .

If you are charge $15 for corking fee that mean you have to buy under $13 or 10 euro if you are in Europe. This is not applicable if you drink in your room

But iT's different if you bring a great bottle of wine, there the saving is great. Like a great italian wine of French Chateauneuf du Pape or Great Bordeaux

I think this is an excellent suggestion. Will do so.

Goes well with a slice of cucumber. Sounds like it would go down well at Vines with the sushi.

Have you considered asking Princess to stock it at Vines? One of our party asked for an item at the bar on an RCI cruise, which they didn't have. Next evening, they had acquired it in our port of call.

Archived