Bringing Wine OnBoard

5waldos

New to Princess so this has probably been asked about a million times. If I read the rules correctly, each adult can bring a bottle of wine onboard. If you bring it to the dining room you pay corkage, but not if you drink it in your room. Is this correct? Or did I read about people being charged corkage fees at embarking?

New to Princess so this has probably been asked about a million times. If I read the rules correctly, each adult can bring a bottle of wine onboard. If you bring it to the dining room you pay corkage, but not if you drink it in your room. Is this correct? Or did I read about people being charged corkage fees at embarking?

Yes the questioon was ask many time and you will get a lot of different answer

But here the most common answer

1) Yes you can bring wine aboard and more than 1 bottle per person

2) Corkage SHOULD be charge in the dining room $15.00 most of the time

3) No corkage fees at embarking

New to Princess so this has probably been asked about a million times. If I read the ir rules correctly, each adult can bring a bottle of wine onboard. If you bring it to the dining room you pay corkage, but not if you drink it in your room. Is this correct? Or did I read about people being charged corkage fees at embarking?

Mostly right. We have cruised on Princess and brought as much wine as we could carry (Vancouver). No one batted an eyelash!! Unless things have changed since last summer, Princess is the line to take. Enjoy your Vino!!

Cheers, Kenn

There is no limit now on wine and champagne brought onboard.

Corkage is only charged in the dining room.

For what it's worth, we have often offered to leave a glass or half-glass of the wine behind in the bottle for the waiter or sommelier when we leave if we have particularly liked him (by the way, why is it always a "him" rather than a "her"?). Sometimes they have "forgotten" about charging the corkage fee. Before you get the wrong impression, we have done so in order to be nice to someone who is very hard-working, not in order to save a 15 buck corkage.

Other times we have had waiters discretely tell us they will ignore the corkage fee if we order after-dinner drinks, which we almost always do anyway.

On Carnival, my only other cruise experiences, corkage fees were really hit or miss. Always in the specialty dining rooms, but in the MDR, sometimes yes, sometimes no. It seemed to depend on the waiter. In truth I am not sure how invested a waiter would be in charging you (other than rules, of course) because I am sure that he gets nothing out of doing so, and perhaps a larger tip in the end for not doing so. Seems a setup in favor of the passenger. But having the bottle we want in our cabin at night- priceless.

We were just on the Emerald in January and we bought wine at every port. You can avoid the corkage fee in the dining room if you open the bottle before you go to dinner in your stateroom. You can either ask your steward for a bottle opener or bring one from home. We even had glasses delivered to our stateroom. It was a nice way to save a little bit of money!

For what it's worth, we have often offered to leave a glass or half-glass of the wine behind in the bottle for the waiter or sommelier when we leave if we have particularly liked him (by the way, why is it always a "him" rather than a "her"?). Sometimes they have "forgotten" about charging the corkage fee. Before you get the wrong impression, we have done so in order to be nice to someone who is very hard-working, not in order to save a 15 buck corkage.

Other times we have had waiters discretely tell us they will ignore the corkage fee if we order after-dinner drinks, which we almost always do anyway.

Do you offer him a half eaten pork chop as well? :rolleyes:

We were just on the Emerald in January and we bought wine at every port. You can avoid the corkage fee in the dining room if you open the bottle before you go to dinner in your stateroom. You can either ask your steward for a bottle opener or bring one from home. We even had glasses delivered to our stateroom. It was a nice way to save a little bit of money!

The corkage fee is NOT for just opening the bottle of wine. :confused:

If you were not charged the fee, you just got lucky. But opening the bottle and taking it to the dining room opened will not usually save you the corkage fee.

I know there is a limit of 2 bottles pp before they charge you tax. Has anyone paid the tax - is it expensive? I've brought wine into the US and declared it but have always been waved on by the customs people who have bigger fish to fry than my few extra bottles of wine.

That's true, but you can bring a glass of wine from your cabin to enjoy at dinner.

I agree you can carry in a glass, but opening the bottle before entering the dining room has absolutely nothing to do with saving the corkage fee.

Can you buy wine at the ports to drink on board?

Yes, if you can find wine at port, you can bring it aboard... usually 1 bottle per person. You can then enjoy that wine in your stateroom, or take it to the dining room and pay a $15 corkage fee.

Yes, if you can find wine at port, you can bring it aboard... usually 1 bottle per person. You can then enjoy that wine in your stateroom, or take it to the dining room and pay a $15 corkage fee.

There is no limit mentioned anymore for wine/champagne.

I love the idea of you leaving a 1/2 empty glass of wine behind....that way, I can grab a few on the way out and enjoy a free class of wine. Sometimes, I take a water glass and just pour the leavings from everyone's glasses into that and sip away. Cold Duck!

OK, I don't do that...my wife won't let me.

Denny

Archived