Balcony vs. Cove Balcony

I have heard nothing negative about the cove balcony, in fact I have heard all good, there are alot of threads on here about the cove balcony. I have one booked for Oct, so I would check out all the threads from people that have already been in this kind of room, might change your mind.

Happy cruising

I have heard nothing negative about the cove balcony, in fact I have heard all good, there are alot of threads on here about the cove balcony. I have one booked for Oct, so I would check out all the threads from people that have already been in this kind of room, might change your mind.

Happy cruising

Exactly! They seem to be the one style of balcony that so far has nothing but favorable reviews.

We booked ours pre-inaugural, before there were any reviews or pictures other than artist's renderings. I'm so happy we did! Can't wait! :D

We have been on Top level Balconies and a Cove Balcony on the Dream. Our family all said the Cove balcony were far superior to the upper balconies. I know it is personal preference, but it was so nice actually looking out at something and hearing the ocean below.

Brian

We have been on Top level Balconies and a Cove Balcony on the Dream. Our family all said the Cove balcony were far superior to the upper balconies. I know it is personal preference, but it was so nice actually looking out at something and hearing the ocean below.

Brian

I have seen a picture but I can't quite get the visual. How large is the opening that you are looking out of compared to the actually balcony? Now you are making me change my mind again. My PVP thinks that I should go with the cove.

I'm a first timer so no actual experience. Booked a cove by accident really as it was a cheap balcony in my mind.

Then I found the site jules815 posted, and started researching and reading reviews. I'm at the point now that if the ever elusive upgrade fairy called and offered me a freebie, I believe I would turn her down. The thought of sitting on that balcony and having the sea spray my toes as we cruise is just too tempting to pass up.

And apparently they are gaining popularity. I've noticed prices are higher on future sailings and our sailing is fully booked and has been for weeks.

Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of booking a Cove Balcony? I know the Cove balcony is a little less expensive but which is preferred?

Preference is a personal thing.

There's really little difference between a normal balcony cabin and a cove but I like the cove because of the proximity to the water. The view can be amazing and the sound of the sea does wonderful things for my mood.

Additionally, being that close to the water line the ride is typically better. We were in 30 foot seas on the Dream and I'm sure we had less movement than the folks on the Vista Deck...

:)

I have seen a picture but I can't quite get the visual. How large is the opening that you are looking out of compared to the actually balcony? Now you are making me change my mind again. My PVP thinks that I should go with the cove.

In this shot you can see the opening from the outside... should help answer your question.

Dream019.jpg

These cabins started on the Queen Mary 2 and are a modification of the Cat 12 cabins on the Fantasy Class ships.

Personally, I think they're brilliant.

I've read that the most of the regular balconies when you look down at the water you see the lifeboats.....where as the cove you see right down to the water.

These two shots were taken from my Cove:

Dream214.jpg

Dream226.jpg

Yep... two decks down is the sea...

I'm at the point now that if the ever elusive upgrade fairy called and offered me a freebie, I believe I would turn her down. The thought of sitting on that balcony and having the sea spray my toes as we cruise is just too tempting to pass up.

And apparently they are gaining popularity. I've noticed prices are higher on future sailings and our sailing is fully booked and has been for weeks.

We feel exactly the same way! We wouldn't leave our cove for a regular balcony on an upper deck, even if it was considered an upgrade. (Now a suite; we'd consider!)

Sorry if this is a stupid questions, but I'm just curious if anyone has spotted any marine life (dolphins, whales) from a cove balcony since it's so close to the water. I am not sure how close animals would swim to such a giant ship.

Monica

Sorry if this is a stupid questions, but I'm just curious if anyone has spotted any marine life (dolphins, whales) from a cove balcony since it's so close to the water. I am not sure how close animals would swim to such a giant ship.

Monica

I'm sure we'll see something. Hopefully dolphins, more than likely flying fish. We always see lots of those on every cruise. :)

Archived