HAL or CRYSTAL ALASKA 2011?

califgary

SwissMyst-

Did you read Califgary's post? He said that the balcony with Crystal was a bit cheaper than the HAL cruise? As I said, the Crystal cruise is 4 days shorter than the HAL cruise. You do get $1000 per cabin onboard credir and free airfare on Crystal. And you can get caviar any time you want it-complimentary.

Not true at all!!

The $4890 Crystal fare (after the 2:1 split) is for their lowest category "oceanview" type room. It is a window only, no balcony. The lowest priced Crystal balcony is $6665 per person for the 12-day Alaska cruise.

On the other hand, CruisesOnly.com is offering a standard balcony on the new 14-day Amsterdam Alaskan cruise for only $2599. The HAL oceanview cabin is only $1399.

igraf

SwissMyst-

Did you read Califgary's post? He said that the balcony with Crystal was a bit cheaper than the HAL cruise? As I said, the Crystal cruise is 4 days shorter than the HAL cruise. You do get $1000 per cabin onboard credir and free airfare on Crystal. And you can get caviar any time you want it-complimentary.

SwissMyst-

1. From other reports, Crystal upped the costs of their shore excursions which quickly consume any extra onboard credit, if one chooses to use it for that.

2. For free all-you-can-eat caviar that is tinned, mushy and terrible is no value added. Especially when paying hundreds of dollars more per day. How can one really claim this is "complimentary"? Odd.

3. Apply the same "complimentary" formula for any other Crystal Experience claims. If you pay extra for Crystal, why claim you are getting extra benefits for "free"?

4. My point all along, is those "extras for free" IMHO were simply not worth the extra premium costs on Crystal. No one should feel they are missing anything choosing a cruise line like HAL which is far more value-added for the costs.

5. There is no point touting "free caviar" if you are paying for it, and not even getting anything of premium quality in return. Except, I concede, more high end decor. This can matter just like the difference between a Ritz Carlton and a Ramada. You pay for the furnishings, but you sleep through most of it just the same no matter which one you choose.

6. Service on HAL has been consistent and exemplary. They shine here in their professionalism. Service on Crystal was far more inconsistent, and even on occasion sullen and surly - bad attitude from some Eastern European males in the Crystal service staff who probably and reasonably resented having to chose this line of employment in their high-unemployment countries, where their basic education is often very good but their employment opportunities very limited.

Caviar is a good point, but as I've had the best carviar elsewhere, I just don't eat the junk sort.

Some people believe that I hate Crystal. I don't. My feelings for that cruise line are personal and are related to things that are important to me and to my family.

Your results and needs likely differ.

Caviar is a good point, but as I've had the best carviar elsewhere, I just don't eat the junk sort.

Me too. When you have had it fresh, unpasturized and cheap in Russia, one wonders why they even bother to export it tinned, mushy and terrible. Or why someone would brag about getting all they wanted of this vastly inferior product. That is all about selling the "sizzle, instead of the steak".

I only "hate" the hype Crystal puts out. But they sell sizzle; not steak. Nor even good caviar. That is the issue. What they sell for their inflated prices, is not worth it when you price it out. Unless you really like high-end decor for a few days for the extra price.

Their ships interior decors are prettier. No contest there. So for the short duration of time actually spent not on shore, and not asleep, this might be worth the thousands more.

And this is why they seem to sell more days at sea than in port, so passengers can get more shipboard time enjoying the interior decor that justifies the "Crystal Difference". (Keeping in mind their cabins are considerably smaller.)

Since this thread was originally posted by Califgary to get helpful information as he considers whether to take HAL or Crystal to Alaska in 2011, I suggest he post the same thread on the Crystal link. I think he will get helpful, balanced information on that board.

Since this thread was originally posted by Califgary to get helpful information as he considers whether to take HAL or Crystal to Alaska in 2011, I suggest he post the same thread on the Crystal link. I think he will get helpful, balanced information on that board.

Yeah right. Just mention Holland America on the Crystal board and watch the vultures attack it like carrion on the roadside. I like your definition of "balanced" information.:p

It would be a good rainy day activity to tune in and watch.

Yeah right. Just mention Holland America on the Crystal board and watch the vultures attack it like carrion on the roadside.

It would be a good rainy day activity to tune in and watch.

Have a look at some threads on Crystal & you’ll see little evidence of HAL bashing. In fact, many of the “crystallized” seem to recognize that HAL is a pretty decent mass market line & they give credit where it’s due.

This was most apparent to me a few months ago when a poster asked for advice in choosing between HAL and Crystal. He started threads on both forums. The responses he received from Crystal regulars were reasoned, factual & dispassionate. Nobody trashed HAL. And many suggested that, given the OP situation, HAL would be the better choice. This was in direct contrast to some responses he received on HAL, which were riddled with vitriol & resentment towards Crystal.

Crystal: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1115777&highlight=

HAL: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1115422&highlight=

Au contraire, the real entertainment is right here, right now. :p:p

De gustibus non disputandum est.

I never took Latin, but it sounds like "don't fight about the food". How close am I?

And Sky Princess has been going out of San Francisco to Alaska - at least last year and this. Nancy

Please factor in whether it is a plus or minus to you if there is smoking permitted on balconies.

• Crystal prohibits smoking of everything on all balconies.

• HAL allows smoking of cigarettes and as far as I know still allows even stinky cigars on the balcony. We were very bothered by cigarette and cigar smoke on our balcony.

That is the main reason we no longer cruise on HAL.

I have heard some Crystalites have started looking for other cruise lines, now that Crystal has raised their prices to make even these devoted loyalists to question the inherent value of the "Crystal Experience".

The real money for Crystal these days comes from Russia and China, and not from expanding the US market. Plus the Russians really run up their bar tabs, as everyone noticed on our Crystal cruise. And the Chinese love to gamble, so packing on more cost-conscious US passengers is not going to be Crystal's first priority.

Crystal Powers That Be seem to have no problem pricing Americans out of their market. Plus Americans don't drink or gamble enough to help pay Crystal's interior decorating bills. No wonder Crystal is adding more and more at sea days than port days. More time to drink and gamble in-house.

And there you have it.

I never took Latin, but it sounds like "don't fight about the food". How close am I?

I think it is actually "In matters of taste there is no dispute."

Some people will prefer HAL's food and some will prefer Crystal's food.

I am surprised that nobody has commented on how much lower the prices are now for the 14-day Amsterdam Alaska cruise. The HAL prices I quoted below are huge reductions from the original HAL prices.

igraf

Not true at all!!

The $4890 Crystal fare (after the 2:1 split) is for their lowest category "oceanview" type room. It is a window only, no balcony. The lowest priced Crystal balcony is $6665 per person for the 12-day Alaska cruise.

On the other hand, CruisesOnly.com is offering a standard balcony on the new 14-day Amsterdam Alaskan cruise for only $2599. The HAL oceanview cabin is only $1399.

igraf

My sister debated taking her first cruise on Crystal vs. HAL. She was enamored of the idea of butler service on Crystal until I pointed out her cabin category did not include this. I said she'd probably prefer HAL's deluxe verandah suite, even without the butler. She loved it and didn't miss the butler. She's yet to try Crystal (or any other line for that matter).

For Alaska I'd get the itinerary that fits my tastes and the biggest cabin (balcony) I can afford in order to see the sights in comfort and privacy.

Well, Crystal priced my family out of the willingness to pay. Our most recent Crystal cruise was a difficult and disappointing one as we had horrible table mates. Long story there! I posted it on the Crystal thread after our return.

When you don't count on Crystal, you really don't count!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, Crystal priced my family out of the willingness to pay. Our most recent Crystal cruise was a difficult and disappointing one as we had horrible table mates. Long story there! I posted it on the Crystal thread after our return.

When you don't count on Crystal, you really don't count!

Maybe you need to live EAST of the DFW airport in order to count? ;)

(I have never been to Dallas so I don't know which is the "good" side.)

Or maybe you have to UP your screen name to something more valuable, say "EuroAgain."

I am being silly, I are.

Archived