What to do in Belize??

CRU1Z1N

Needing to do a Carnival tour as we aren't traveling with passports and want to make sure we don't miss the ship doing a private tour.

What is your experience with the Carnival tours?? What was your favorite thing to do in Belize?

Thanks!

PS Please don't flame for not having a passport. I know this will limit what we can do in the ports of call and also the risks of NOT having a passport.

We did city tour with airboat ride in the mangroves.....it was great...had lots of time to hang around port when we got back to drink some local beers and get hair braided. Airboat ride had a huge 454 chevy motor in it....you wore ear protection for the noise....had a blast!

We did both Cave Tubing as well as Altun Ha thru Belize Cruise Excursions. Had not problems getting back to the ship on time.

I say book away from the ship - more bang for the buck, and you don't have to deal with huge crowds!

We did cave tubing with Carnival. It was fun. This year we're doing the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour. I have heard great things.

I thought a Passport was absolutely required to sail now. You might want to re check it. One of the horror stories I read was about how someone got to the port and they weren't allowed to board. They insisted that Carnival told them they didn't need a passport. I'd contact the Passport Office, if I were you to make sure. It would suck if you got to the port and was turned away.

Sorry to bring up the passport issue.

Monica

Belize is home to one of the most amazing reefs in the world, if you don't already, I'd take the discovery scuba dive there. You'll get some basic scuba instruction then go diving in 30-35 feet of water. It should be INCREDIBLE.

I thought a Passport was absolutely required to sail now. You might want to re check it. One of the horror stories

Monica

Thanks but we have a closed loop cruise...leaving and returning from the same US port. NO passport required just Birth Certificate and photo ID. Thanks for your concern and looking out for us!!!

We were supposed to go cave tubing, but the rain the night before we went made it unsafe. We went to the Altun-Ha ruins instead, and had a great time.

This is exactly what happened to us, and Altun-ha was awesome!

I went on a snorkeling excursion there. They take you on a boat, about 20-some people in total and go out to where you can't see any land and you get off there, just climb down the latter into the water and snorkel. It was incredible, I saw so many fish, a stingray and a baracuda. The baracuda scared me but it just kept swimming like no one was around. Then you get back on the boat and they take you to a private beach. The only people there are the ones on your excursion. There is a small restaurant and bar there as well. We saw many conch's on the beach, which I had never seen live ones before. I would definitely do that excursion again.

Why do you think you would miss the ship if you did a private excursion. It is like their major goal to make sure they get you back in time. I wouldn't worry about it.

Because s happens! My tour on a cruise sponsored trip in Belize was delayed over two hours because of a fatal accident closing the only road to the port. There were fifty passengers on board the bus, so the ship waited for us.

I am pretty sure they would not have waited for 8 folks in a van.

I would recommend snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley. Swimming with the sharks and stingrays is pretty amazing! I was on NCL when I did that excursion so I'm not sure if Carnival offers it, but if it is, it's worth every penny IMO.

We booked a city/country tour with an independent at the pier. Waste of $30 per person for us, except the visit to the rum place with free samples. Spoke with a couple at the airport waiting to go home. They said the zip-lining was the best. If we go back to Belize that's what we're going to do.

If you are into archeology, you may want to check Xunantunich. It is a 7 hour excursion, (2 hour trip each way), but the ruins are beautiful. Climbing to the top of "El Castillo" was a thrill for me. Coming back down is a bit scary, but I overcame my fear of heights to do it.

You can search for images of Xunantunich to get an idea of its beauty.

Enjoy!

Lee

Cave tubing through a private company...it was awesome, even my 85 year old grandma enjoyed it.

85 year old Grandma? Can you give me more information? My Dad is 76 and we are worried he might have trouble keeping up on the walk. I've heard it's a 35 min walk on rough ground. I'm worried he won't be able to keep up and will hold the whole group up. He really wants to do this.

This is exactly what happened to us, and Altun-ha was awesome!

I noticed you did a back-to-back cruise. How does that work? Do you have to get off and then re-check back in? Were you able to stay in your same cabin? Just wondering for when/if we are ever lucky enough to be able to do that kind of cruise.

Archived