What to do in Belize??

CRU1Z1N

We went horseback riding through the rain forest and thought it was wonderful. Saw a howler monkey and lots of other interesting stuff.

After the ride they took us to a restaurant for lunch (open air under a thatched roof).

Then we had a couple of hours to laze around the complex pool. Definitely a fun excursion!!

Stay on the boat.

NO - don't stay on the boat. IMO if you just want to do that, get a hotel on a beach. There is ALWAYS something to explore and see - isn't that why you choose the ports you do? I LOVE MY SEA DAYS, but not on port days! Get out - experience Belize. We didn't go into the city - maybe it's dirty, but so were parts of Costa Rica and Panama - and so are many sides of the roads in our country. The water is incredible.

I second Xunantunich. We were just there last week and it was amazing. The guide kept us entertained/informed on the bus ride there so the 2 hours flew by. The guide for the actual tour of the ruins was really informative as well. You can't adequately grasp the impact of that 130-foot tall temple when you turn and see it. And climbing to the top was breathtaking. Highly recommend it.

We went horseback riding through the rain forest and thought it was wonderful. Saw a howler monkey and lots of other interesting stuff.

After the ride they took us to a restaurant for lunch (open air under a thatched roof).

Then we had a couple of hours to laze around the complex pool. Definitely a fun excursion!!

Can you tell me who you booked with for horseback riding and were they reliable?

I went on a snorkeling excursion there. They take you on a boat, about 20-some people in total and go out to where you can't see any land and you get off there, just climb down the latter into the water and snorkel. It was incredible, I saw so many fish, a stingray and a baracuda. The baracuda scared me but it just kept swimming like no one was around. Then you get back on the boat and they take you to a private beach. The only people there are the ones on your excursion. There is a small restaurant and bar there as well. We saw many conch's on the beach, which I had never seen live ones before. I would definitely do that excursion again.

What tour company did you use?

• 3 weeks later...
I thought a Passport was absolutely required to sail now.

No, passports are not required on closed loop/circuit cruises. Highly recommended but a certified birth certificate will get you on the ship.

We went to Bannister Beach/Caye with Eco Tours. You can do just the beach break or go snorkeling as well. We did just the beach since we had kids. They were the best excursion we took. Met us right off of the tender with sign with our name. Great price, personal and very professional. The beach was the best one we went on the whole cruise, very quiet, calm warm clear water, the food and drinks were expensive and not so good so recommend taking your own there.

We did the cave tubing with M Tom a couple years ago - I loved him and MIKEY!! No problems whatsoever...

The walk - is a walk. I wore water shoes, and some of the rocks were hard on the feet - a little up and down, a few stairs, a little mud - overall, the walk is not a difficult one, but it IS a walk nonetheless. The pace we took - just about killed me, though! If they slow down a tad, I dont see any problem for anyone. We all carried our own tubes, but some carried two for others that had a hard time with that. They are bulky.

We stopped at the river (actually, the "get-out" point) - the water was "refreshing" (aka COLD!!) but once you got in, you got used to it! The little fish would nibble at your legs - I think they like the bug spray or the sunscreen; hard to tell. There is a small cliff that a few of the passengers jumped off! Entertainment at its FINEST!

We used black tubes, and that was ok by me. The BUGS were a nuisance - and after being in the "refreshing" water washed off the spray so unless you were prepared to spray again, (I sprayed 6 coats and then left my spray on the bus) you were a free meal.

By the time you were done walking the 1-1/2 to 2 mile "walk" - in the humid jungle - the RIVER was very inviting!! My arms got sore as you get in the tubes BUTT first - your arms is how you manuver your tubes. Once I got to the point to relax, I was fine. Im a bit of a panic-baby though...the water was not deep (well, maybe in a couple spots) - many times, we were instructed BUMS UP...so when we drug bottom, so one got injured :D

The jungle on the river in between the caves was breathtaking and it was no whitewater rafting trip! It was quite, leisurely and gorgeous. No monkeys - NO SNAKES - NO PIRANHA - goodness....

For an older person, the bus ride (and the history - the TWO working stoplights in town, the cemetary where they bury everyone ABOVE groune, the Talapia farms, the remnants of hurricanes past) and doing something that is not terribly strenuous except the walk (just ask them to slow down if they get to fast) would be just fine.

Fanny pack - SMALL bugspray, SMALL sunscreen, bottle of water (if you can get it to fit) and waterproof camera - WEAR YOUR WATERCLOTHES UNDER YOUR CLOTHES. Swimsuits are ok - they dry out faster than shorts and a tshirt - BUT SHORTS AND TSHIRT give you a little more protection from the elements and branches and cave walls... - You can leave your towel on the bus; if you take it with you, it will be useless to dry off with!:eek:

Cave tubing is an amazing experience and Belize is one of the few places you can do this. If you're physically able to hike for about 30 minutes through a beautiful rain forest (carrying your tube), then check out Charilie's. He's a fantastic guide who clearly loves his country and its ecology and natural attractions.

We did Goff's Caye snorkeling. They pick you up from your ship, and take you over to this wonderful little island. At that point you can choose whether you want to be left off in the water over the reef and swim back to the island or swim out to the reef from the island. We choose island to reef as the water was a bit choppy, and I am not that strong a swimmer, I saw lots of fish, coral, beautiful water...we had a guide with us, and more than 95% of the time we were in water not deeper than chest deep. That said, I am short so there was lots of water over my head at times. After the "snork" we swam back to the beach, there was a guy who had a grill set up, and was selling lobster ka bobs(great) and booze(we don't drink so we shared an orange soda) and onther guy was selling hand made wood carvings. oh yes I bought one. DH and I went back in the water and swam around the dock area(fish) and dug in the sand at the end of the island(coral). If we ever get a chance to go back to Belize, I will be out on that island again!

What time of year were you there? We are going in early Jan '11 so I am wondering if the water will be warm? Thx for the info.

MamaQuack- We were there the first week of February. We sailed on the Legend, and the water was the perfect temperature, warm enough for comfort, cool enough to take off some of the heat from the sun. A nice breeze was blowing(remember a little choppy), but they said this was rare. Enjoy!

MamaQuack-I'm sure you will. I saw an earlier post that you didn't want to use the ships excursions, but this one really was fantastic. When the ship goes back through the shipping lanes to get back to the ocean, Goff's Caye is the last little spot of an island that you will see before you hit the ocean again. We went to the front of the ship to watch our return to the ocean, and as the sun was setting, a small sailboat had tied up to the pier on the island. So far away from the rest of the world.....it is truly one of the best memories I have of the whole week, year, life time.

marshhawk, thank you so much for sharing this with me and all of us - gave me goosebumps. I am so grateful for all the information on these boards and happy when I can contribute. Your excursion sounds exactly like something we would like. My hubby and son are very strong swimmers - my future d-i-l is not and I am moderate so I know we can all be comfortable and happy. Thank you again for the input.

I went on a snorkeling excursion there. They take you on a boat, about 20-some people in total and go out to where you can't see any land and you get off there, just climb down the latter into the water and snorkel. It was incredible, I saw so many fish, a stingray and a baracuda. The baracuda scared me but it just kept swimming like no one was around. Then you get back on the boat and they take you to a private beach. The only people there are the ones on your excursion. There is a small restaurant and bar there as well. We saw many conch's on the beach, which I had never seen live ones before. I would definitely do that excursion again.

Who did you use for this excursion?

just some food for thought on the passports.

no, a closed loop cruise does not require a passport, but, if you do happen to get left behind or have medical or legal issues requiring you to remain behind, a passport makes other arrangements after that so much less complicated.

i would recommend that everyone go ahead and get one.

• 2 weeks later...

ramrac -- I would like to hear more about this!!! Please e mail me, spaceflower22@aol.com who this was through and how much is costs! Thanks! Also, we'll have children with us, is that alright and can they snorkel, too?

We did Goff's Caye snorkeling. They pick you up from your ship, and take you over to this wonderful little island. At that point you can choose whether you want to be left off in the water over the reef and swim back to the island or swim out to the reef from the island. We choose island to reef as the water was a bit choppy, and I am not that strong a swimmer, I saw lots of fish, coral, beautiful water...we had a guide with us, and more than 95% of the time we were in water not deeper than chest deep. That said, I am short so there was lots of water over my head at times. After the "snork" we swam back to the beach, there was a guy who had a grill set up, and was selling lobster ka bobs(great) and booze(we don't drink so we shared an orange soda) and onther guy was selling hand made wood carvings. oh yes I bought one. DH and I went back in the water and swam around the dock area(fish) and dug in the sand at the end of the island(coral). If we ever get a chance to go back to Belize, I will be out on that island again!

Hey Marshhawk, how did you book this and was it expensive? We'll have kids with us, how would it work out with kids? Feel free to e mail me, spaceflower22@aol.com -- I'd really appreciate it! :)

• 2 weeks later...
ramrac -- I would like to hear more about this!!! Please e mail me, spaceflower22@aol.com who this was through and how much is costs! Thanks! Also, we'll have children with us, is that alright and can they snorkel, too?

We are sailing July 18 and I'm trying to decide on location (Goff's Caye, Banister Island or Caye Caulkner). I found Belize Cruise Excursion on the web. They charge $40 for a four hour trip to Goff's Caye. It sounds like you can just walk in to the water and snorkel there as opposed to the other two locations which have snorkeling off a boat. I would love to hear recommendations from anyone who has gone to any of these locations. I prefer not to use the ship's tour as it is typically more expensive. Thanks! :)

I'm so worried that you may have the wrong information. We sailed in February 2010 and the only form of Identification was accepted was a Passport or a passport card, and we left from New Orleans and returned to the same port.

The way I understood it was that as of June 2009 passports or passport card will be required for travelers on cruise ships.

So please contact the Passport office and verify.

Altun Ha ruins are a great trip for Belize. We did this tour with Island Marketing Ltd. (very conscious about getting back in time) and had a great time. Our tour guide was great and gave alot of local information on the way to the ruins, also included lunch at a locasl restaurant near Ahlun Ha.

altun%20ha.jpg

Archived