Has anyone flown SAS lately from the US?

starskyfan

Has anyone flown SAS lately from the US?

We are flying economy class from Dulles later this month to Copenhagen. To make a long story short, when I called today they told me we are only allowed one carry-on bag weighing up to 18 pounds, per person, and that’s it. When I mentioned a personal item they said no, just one bag. Someone else from my cruise called after me and was told that they can bring one bag plus a personal item. Just what we need at this point is conflicting information. I do plan to call again, but thought if anyone has flown them recently they could tell me their experience. Keep in mind I am talking about economy class only because I do know more are allowed in higher categories. And while I am asking, could you let me know if they are strict about weighing and measuring the carry-ons?

Thanks in advance.

Brenda

Brenda-

Try posting this on the cruise air board. You may have a better chance of getting an answer. We are on your cruise, Star Princess June 11, but we are flying on Delta.

<<<Karen>>>

Brenda-

Try posting this on the cruise air board. You may have a better chance of getting an answer. We are on your cruise, Star Princess June 11, but we are flying on Delta.

<<<Karen>>>

Thanks Karen, maybe I'll do that later today. I'm going to call them again and see what they say this time. Brenda

We have not, even 2 weeks ago, had issues with a personal item in addition to the regular carry-on.

European airlines are very strict regarding carry-on luggage, so if you are flying inter-europe you must adhere to those rules. However, it seems as if the inter European leg is in conjunction with your transatlantic trip, they will accept the higher weight limit we have in the US.

On a sidenote, SAS per 1 April this year discontinued their 2 free checked bags under pressure from other Star Alliance Members.

As always be prepared as it also often depende on the agents in the airports.

We have not, even 2 weeks ago, had issues with a personal item in addition to the regular carry-on.

European airlines are very strict regarding carry-on luggage, so if you are flying inter-europe you must adhere to those rules. However, it seems as if the inter European leg is in conjunction with your transatlantic trip, they will accept the higher weight limit we have in the US.

On a sidenote, SAS per 1 April this year discontinued their 2 free checked bags under pressure from other Star Alliance Members.

As always be prepared as it also often depende on the agents in the airports.

Thanks so much, nothing speaks like personal experience. I just called them again and they said they do allow personal items so I guess I was either unlucky enough to get a new person on the phone, or an idiot, the first time I called. As you say though, you do need to be prepared which is why I always try to adhere to the rules so I don’t have to worry. Brenda

Thanks so much, nothing speaks like personal experience. I just called them again and they said they do allow personal items so I guess I was either unlucky enough to get a new person on the phone, or an idiot, the first time I called. As you say though, you do need to be prepared which is why I always try to adhere to the rules so I don’t have to worry. Brenda

I am kind of embarrassed to ask this, but ummm, what do you mean by a "personal item"? So, you bring a carry on and stow it in the overhead (or under the seat), I am confused about this personal item. Please clue me in.

Thanks,

Al

I am kind of embarrassed to ask this, but ummm, what do you mean by a "personal item"? So, you bring a carry on and stow it in the overhead (or under the seat), I am confused about this personal item. Please clue me in.

Thanks,

Al

They consider a personal item as something like a purse, laptop, camera, briefcase, etc…even a small backpack they said in this case. These items they generally expect you to keep with you or under your seat. The regular carry-on is the bigger case or roller bag not to exceed 45 inches, and in this case, 18 pounds. Each airline is different, although foreign airlines seem to be more strict about the weight of carry-on bags, and SAS didn’t specify information on a personal item on their website which is unusual. Hope this helps. Brenda

They consider a personal item as something like a purse, laptop, camera, briefcase, etc…even a small backpack they said in this case. These items they generally expect you to keep with you or under your seat. The regular carry-on is the bigger case or roller bag not to exceed 45 inches, and in this case, 18 pounds. Each airline is different, although foreign airlines seem to be more strict about the weight of carry-on bags, and SAS didn’t specify information on a personal item on their website which is unusual. Hope this helps. Brenda

Ahhhh, that clears it up, thanks.

Al

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I know its been while since this topic was discussed. I am also curious to know if anyone experienced any problem taking on a carryon luggage and a personal item(laptop, purse) on SAS airline from Newark to Copenhagen.

Its challenging to convince my DW and girls insist to abandon their purses. If they aren't flexible, we may have to consider checking in the luggage.

Any updated feedback would be appreciated.

thanks!

Suggestion: read the rules at http://www.flysas.com/en/us/Travel_info/Baggage/Cabin_baggage/ and comply with them. Sure, you might be able to get away with carrying a second, "personal item" but why risk it?

And personally, I really don't relish the idea of somebody wrestling a bag weighing over 18 pounds in and out of a compartment above my head!

I'm sorry you hate for people to put bags over your head, but after dealing with lost luggage a couple times, I NEVER travel now without a roll-on bag. And, I don't think anyone is trying to get away with anything by also having a purse or laptop bag as their personal item. JMHO

I think we are going to just check in 1 or 2 bags and each person brings a small carry on(following SAS's strict rule) instead of getting stress over this. We'll pack the more important stuff on the carry on and not so important items on the checked baggage. If it gets lost or don't make it to our cruise on time, we'll still have some clothes to wear. We can always replace the missing clothes/items at our destination. I don't think my girls will turn down shopping.

And personally, I really don't relish the idea of somebody wrestling a bag weighing over 18 pounds in and out of a compartment above my head!

18 pounds is nothing. My usual carry-on bag weighs more than that, and I have no trouble taking it in and out of the overhead compartments. And I use the compartment above my own head.

Archived