Trip Insurance/Early Saver Deposit

TortieGal

Considering a redo on the Splendor and also booking the Early Saver rate. I tried to do a search for this but it's coming up either too broad or not at all.

If we purchased travel insurance with a cancel for any reason clause, would that cover the non-refundable deposit of early saver?

Thanks in advance!

Considering a redo on the Splendor and also booking the Early Saver rate. I tried to do a search for this but it's coming up either too broad or not at all.

If we purchased travel insurance with a cancel for any reason clause, would that cover the non-refundable deposit of early saver?

Thanks in advance!

A Carnival FAQ claims that Carnival's Trip protection Plan covers "the non-refundable ES Deposit"; It's not specifically addressed in the Policy.

Most Insurances will cover specified, non-refundable charges. IMO The ES Cancellation Penalty would be definitely covered. IMO there IS an issue with respect to the remainder of the ES Deposit which might not be considered non-refunded, as you are actually issued a FCC for a cruise up to 2 years in the future.

ken

I had the very same question. So, I emailed Insuremytrip (found the email on their website) and they indicated that if we purchased a "Cancel for Any Reason" policy within the specified time frame (7-14 days, depending on company purchased through) that our nonrefundable ES deposit would be covered up to the limit purchased. (Some cancel for any reason policies only cover 75%, 85%, whatever percent - that's something to watch for.)

Also, I was confused about buying the insurance at the same time as we plunked down our deposit, because I was nowhere near ready to buy airfare yet I wanted airfare covered. They said that all I have to do is call them when we purchase airfare and they will give me an updated policy and collect additional premiums at that time.

Also, I was confused about buying the insurance at the same time as we plunked down our deposit, because I was nowhere near ready to buy airfare yet I wanted airfare covered. They said that all I have to do is call them when we purchase airfare and they will give me an updated policy and collect additional premiums at that time.

You don't have to be down to the penny accurate in the amount of insurance you purchase. In actuality, the coverage amount goes by tiers. I forget where the break points were, but with some repeated trial and error you can find those break points. So, for example, the premium for $4001 of coverage may be the same as $4999 - so take the top amount in the range. As it applies to your airfare, most likely, if you estimate on a conservative basis, you know approximately what it will be - just use that amount. a few hundred dollars higher or lower is most likely not going to change the premium for the policy. Go try/play with it on insuremytrip and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Howard

I question this, because Carnival is going to hold all but $50 as a credit to your name. Since you have NOT lost the money, other than the $50, how can you file with insurance to get them to pay money that is still being held as a credit to your name.

Ken ... is all the deposit able to be claimed or only $50?? with a cancel for any reason? I think we have discussed this before and no one knew the answer. I dont think its a easy a answer as if you actually lost the deposit by cancelling after final payment, then you could claim for what you lost.

Now you have up to TWO YEARS to use the rest of the credit being held in your name. Are you going to call CArnival and say I want to forfeith that credit so I can collect the insurance. I dont think you can collect money you havent lost? ... and who would wait two years to file for insurance?

Now you have up to TWO YEARS to use the rest of the credit being held in your name.

ES question. When does the 2 year clock begin? Do I have 2 years from the initial booking, or 2 years from when I decide to change the date? In other words, if I book a cruise using ES and decide to change the date 6 months later, do I now have 2 years to cruise or 18 months before I must sail?

ES question. When does the 2 year clock begin? Do I have 2 years from the initial booking, or 2 years from when I decide to change the date? In other words, if I book a cruise using ES and decide to change the date 6 months later, do I now have 2 years to cruise or 18 months before I must sail?

Or 2 years from the canceled cruise date?

When you cancel and do not re-book at that time, you should be issued a Future Cruise Credit that will be good for two years from that date. ken

Archived