Vancouver or Seattle????

Vancouver is very compact so its easy to do a quick tour. Drive thru Stanley Park for sure. If it were me I would be nervous about border delays so I'd head for the border. Once across you might take a scenic drive on Chuckanut Drive from Bellingham but then easy enough to park near the Pike Place Market or other attractions before your flight.

Long answer but I think you have time to do a little of each.

Vancouver is very compact so its easy to do a quick tour. Drive thru Stanley Park for sure. If it were me I would be nervous about border delays so I'd head for the border. Once across you might take a scenic drive on Chuckanut Drive from Bellingham but then easy enough to park near the Pike Place Market or other attractions before your flight.

Long answer but I think you have time to do a little of each.

Thanks This is probably what we will end up doing. I really wanted to visit Pike Place but didn't want to miss Vancouver either

Thanks This is probably what we will end up doing. I really wanted to visit Pike Place but didn't want to miss Vancouver either

If you really wanted to stay in Vancouver AND get a taste of an open-air market, Vancouver has it's own version in Granville Island. I've been to both and can't reccommend one over the other.

But I, too, would be concerned about border delays, so I'd probably opty for getting across early and spending time on the southern side.

We arrive in Vancouver and our flight home isn't until 10:30pm out of Sea-Tac. We have rented a car but wanted to know your opion on where we should spend our time. Vancouver or Seattle??? Thanks

You've actually found a rental car you can pick up in Vancouver and leave at Sea-Tac? I thought that was impossible. I did once find I could go from Detroit to Montreal (one-way rental) with Avis, but I thought picking up a rental car in Canada and leaving it in the U.S. was not doable. I'd be interested in finding what you are doing. BTW, I'd also vote for Vancouver, though do not underestimate the time it will take to get to Sea-Tac, especially considering the border crossing and possible traffic in the Seattle area on your way south to the airport. Plan in advance what you're going to see in Seattle, so you don't have to pay a high parking fee more than once. If it were me, I'd probably take the train but a car may be best for you.

You've actually found a rental car you can pick up in Vancouver and leave at Sea-Tac? I thought that was impossible. I did once find I could go from Detroit to Montreal (one-way rental) with Avis, but I thought picking up a rental car in Canada and leaving it in the U.S. was not doable. I'd be interested in finding what you are doing. BTW, I'd also vote for Vancouver, though do not underestimate the time it will take to get to Sea-Tac, especially considering the border crossing and possible traffic in the Seattle area on your way south to the airport. Plan in advance what you're going to see in Seattle, so you don't have to pay a high parking fee more than once. If it were me, I'd probably take the train but a car may be best for you.
Picking up rental cars in Vancouver and dropping them in Seattle or at Seatac airport is done all the time.

The only legal issue in cross-border car rentals is that Canadian residents can't bring US-plated rental cars into Canada due to Canadian tax law.

I've done it several times as well (renting a car in Vanouver and drop off in Seattle). It usually happens to me flying back from China - I get stopped by immigration at the Vancouver airport because of my common name. Hence, I miss my flight to Seattle. I just head to the Avis desk and I'm on my way. Actually, if I get a good border crossing, I'm home sooner than flying.

After much researching, I was able to get a rental car from National and they have assured me that there will be no drop-off fee. We will be able to pick the car up at Vancouver Pan Pacific. I will let you know after our cruise just how things went..

Just be sure to leave yourself plenty of time for possible delays at the border crossing. If something has raised the level, you might have a long wait there to get back into the USA and you don't want to miss your flight home.

Have a great next cruise.

If you plan on being at the airport the two hours ahead of the flight like they ask (8:30 pm) I would give myself 3 hours driving time from the boarder to Seatac, then time to return the car I would plan on crossing the border no later than 4 pm, sooner if you want to look at anything in Seattle. This should leave you an hour or so to get something to eat before going to the airport.

You should have time to see Vancouver, some of Seattle and still get to Seatac on time. Please allow some time for border delays, there is no way to tell in advance about border delays.

Here's some info on the border crossing.

http://www.gonorthwest.com/visitor/planning/border/border.htm

and another

http://www.clippervacations.com/faq/crossingtheusborder

and another

http://www.epinions.com/content_4514095236

and one with average wait times

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Congestion/border/TravelDelays.htm#SBi5

That's enough for now.

Once you get on the road toward Seattle, there is a radio station that broadcasts wait times at the various crossings. Being new to the area, you will want to focus on the "Peace Arch" crossing - it's the main one between Vancouver and Seattle (it is I-5 on the US side). There is also a truck crossing (called the "Pacific Highway" crossing) that is very close, yet can cut significant time under certain circumstances.

Tune to 730AM and they give routine updates for wait times at all crossings.

Again let me thank all of you for your concern and help with all the great info you have given me. I will most likely be driving, so I will leave imyself plenty of time. We are going to bring our GPS with us so they will help

Archived