Partial Panama Canal on Coral or Island Princess

Gryffin

Hello All,

I'm planning my next cruise and would appreciate any suggestions on which ship and which cabin would be the best to get for the Panama Canal cruise. I've only sailed on the larger Princess ships and would love to know any special secrets about sailing on these smaller ships.

Many thanks!

We just got off the Island Princess for our partial transit of the canal. Great cruise. Loved the layout of the ship. As for cabin selection, I would avoid the Aloha deck (which we were on) if you are looking for a balcony cabin. There is a large overhand from the deck above which I though restricted the view a little, particularly when try to take pictures. I think Baja would have been better. We were also in the middle between two of the bump outs which gave us a better view. If you can get a bump out in the middle, those looked like really good cabins, even on the Aloha deck.

Also, there are doors to the front of the ship on Baja and Caribe. Great places to watch going into the locks. Clear view, no blue windows, etc. Doors are to the absolute front of each deck. Doors are not labeled, but are usually open on other days.

Also, keep in mind the Panama can be VERY hot along with Columbia so plan accordingly (aka drink lots of water)

The crew on the Island Princess were fantastic. The size of the ship was great. Never had a problem getting a lounge chair on the deck or seat at one of the shows.

Tim

How long did you have to wait once in line to go through the canal? I know it says 5 am, but is that really the time?

We started through the locks at Gatun about 6:50am and finished about 9am. It really depends on the day, but the cruise ships apparently pay a premium to go through early. There were 3 cruise ships that went thought the locks at Gatun the day we were there. One before us and one afterwards. The other two were doing full transits. It is an early day. I was out on the front balcony area at 5:30am. Still dark. Went through the breakwater about 5:50am and proceeded to the locks over the next hour. They will give you an approximate time the night before as best they can. Just plan on a long day, but definitely one of the most interesting days of the cruise. Was great to finish the day with a great dinner on the ship (and who says that 2 entrees is excessive....)

Tim

On your Coral or Island ....

They are sister ships so I'd pick the itinerary I liked better.

We've taken two full transits on Island (B2B). Picked Island because of the port stops. It's really not that small -- quite long ... just not as wide.

Plan on having a good time on either Island or Coral! :)

If you're looking for a standard veranda cabin, consider the category BE cabins at the aft end of Emerald deck (cabin numbers 624 and higher, if i remember right.)

Pros: price, very large veranda, very private, fully covered, close to the open aft deck on Emerald for a great view of the locks and ships following behind you, extra tall headroom on veranda, good height for seeing the activity during the canal transit.

Cons: long way to the buffet, Princess Theatre and everything forward, although having a good walk to the buffet counted as exercise, we figured anyway. ;)

We've had this class of cabin 5 times - LOVED them. Go for the port side; there's a starboard side trash room vent forward on Promenade that can be a problem on the starboard Emerald verandas (if you walk the Promenade deck, you'll notice it.) Port side, especially 708 forward, are excellent choices.

If you stay onboard for the return trip through the locks, go all the way forward through the doors and out onto the open deck on Baja (also one on Caribe.) Tremendous view from there on the return trip.

Drink 10 times as much water as usual while in Panama and Costa Rica. By the time you feel thirsty, you'll already be dehydrated. It's that hot. (I loved it.)

Coral and Island are terrific - you'll have a great time!

Cheers,

Kirsten

KirstenT, why do you say E708 forward? We're booked in E710/712. Any reason to change to E708/706 if they are still available?

Barbara

2010 RCCL Mariner (Mexico)

2009 Star Clipper (Eastern Mediterranean)

2006 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

2003 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

2000 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

1997 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

1995 RCCL Sun Viking (So. Caribbean)

1994 RCCL Song of America (So. Caribbean)

1993 Columbia River Cruise

1993 HAL Westerdam (E. Caribbean)

1991 Crown Monarch (W. Caribbean)

1989 RCCL Song of America (W. Caribbean)

1985 RCCL Nordic Prince (E. Caribbean)

We loved the Island!!!! The ship is beautiful, the staff really outstanding. I loved the food and the entertainment staff were lots of fun. We were on the Carrib midship. A great location half covered and it is extra large, it was a BA catagory. We were on the port side and seemed to have great views of everything.

I wish I was going with you, great ship, and a great itinerary, have fun.

Kris

Here is a website we found very useful when planning our 10 Panama Canal cruise on the Coral Princess.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

We ended up on the Aloha deck in the "bump" which gave us excellent views. We liked the rest of the itinerary also. The ship is beautiful and not too big. We had been on Celebrity's Summit the year before which is about the same size and were very please w/the Coral.

Here is a link to my review of that cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=26772

You will enjoy this cruise.

We did the partial-transit trip on the Island Princess last month and had a great time. I would recommend that you consider booking the full-transit shore excursion. You take a ferry from Gatun through the last 3 locks, ending up at the Pacific. Going through the locks in a small boat is a much different experience that going through the locks on a cruise ship and I'm glad we got to experience both.

That full transit shore excursion from Gatun sounds wonderful. I didn't realize that this was even on option. Did you book it through Princess?

We did the same tour on our Panama Canal cruise. Was a great way to see the rest of the canal. It is offered through the ship. On the partial transits, you have to book an excursion through the ship in order to get off. It is a long excursions and it will likely be hot.

Archived