Santorini

jeanrtco

I think there is a video on youtube of someone who did the walk. They regretted it. It is far and strenuous and the sun is relentless. We rented a car and were able to visit Oia as well as a few beaches in the south.

Cruiser620- (or anyone else who has rented a car in Santorini)-

Is there anything to watch out for in renting a car in Santorini? We've never been there, will be there in July on the Celebrity Equinox from 7am to 6pm, and want to go from Fira to Oia. Seems like renting a car might be less stressful than negotiating with a taxi to wait for us in Oia, and less costly than the ship's tours. We were looking at Emver car rentals, and thinking of reserving a car online, for peace of mind. We're good drivers and aren't worried about the driving, just don't want to get caught with hidden fees, etc.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Sherry

Sherry - My father rented a car while we were in Santorini last week. We got around easily that way. It was about 40euros for the day. We had no problems at all. The only issue would be in July, its really crowded on the island, so you might hit more traffic. I've heard the bus is easy.

If you need an automatic, be sure to book well in advance since there are not a lot of them available. We rented from Tony's -- no problem at all. They emailed me a map that clearly showed how to walk to their rental location, and the car was ready and waiting for us. It is easy to drive on the island since there are not many roads. We first drove to Oia, and found a parking lot clearly marked where we left the car while we walked around the town. After that we drove south to Red Beach -- yes, it is actually reddish colored from the lava -- and then to Perissa Beach (I think that's what it was called), a black sand beach, where we had lunch by the water. It was a great day. The only slight problem we had was returning the car since the agency is on a small one way street and for some reason we couldn't figure out how to get to it.

On our recent cruise some people walked it and loved it. They said that you are seldom on the road. (They were young and in shape) We rode the bus and were packed in like sardines. The bus back was 20 minutes behind schedule, but things should be smoother later in the evening. We loved every minute, especially Oia.

We did the hike...both ways. It was one of our all time travel highlights but was not easy. We normally joke that Frommers says things are strenuous when they are not...in this case, the hike was under rated. We are younger and hike a good bit. We slept VERY well that night. I think we guess-timated it was around 12 miles round trip from Fira to the tip of Oia and back down to the ship. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Bring money for waters along the way and a camera. The views are unbelievable. But definitely not for the weekend warrrior.

There was a very funny video that someone had posted from friends who had attempted and then aborted the hike. Do a search on Santorini. It is hilarious.

Have a great trip and enjoy the beautiful scenery no matter how you get there!

Everyone talks about taking the cable car up. How long is the ride to the top? Is this like the cable cars in San Francisco (on the ground) or more up in the air (like a ski lift). If they are up in the air, does anyone know how high up? I am afraid of heights and we are going to Santorini next September. I really want to see Santorini but was wondering if I was going to be in terror for a long time.:o

I was in Santorini in April. Like you, I'm afraid of heights; but I wanted to go Fira and Oia. I was not going to ride the donkeys or walk up the path. The cable car in not that far off the ground and it does not take very long to get to the top--a couple of minutes. Do what I did, get in car facing toward the mountain and close your eyes and then open them when you get to the top. Not bad at all.

I was in Santorini in April. Like you, I'm afraid of heights; but I wanted to go Fira and Oia. I was not going to ride the donkeys or walk up the path. The cable car in not that far off the ground and it does not take very long to get to the top--a couple of minutes. Do what I did, get in car facing toward the mountain and close your eyes and then open them when you get to the top. Not bad at all.

It was fairly windy when we anchored in Santorini in 2008 and I didn't particularly like the tender trip and was absolutely dreading the cable car ride. Yes, it is like a ski lift but I did the same as Purple Cruiser and faced the cliff on the way up and had no problem at all. It only lasts a few minutes and you'll love Santorini so it's worth doing. In fact on the way down I was happy to look out because the view is stunning. Whatever you do don't use the donkeys. The smell is appalling and they look totally exhausted carrying overwight tourists up and down that steep cliff.

The company was Emver / Santorini Car Hire. The charge was 45 Euros per hour for a van which holds up to 6 people. We had 6 people, so the rate worked out nicely. Yes, we did have time for shopping and snack /drinks in Fira before returning to the ship.

The site is santorinicarhire dot com....then go to: tour guide.

They did a great job----we saw what we wanted to see and then some in the limited and odd ours we were in port. Hope this helps.

Hi There,

When did you use Elmer/Santorini Car Hire? I got a quote of 60E per hour and was wondering if I should ask for a better rate.

I absolutely agree about the walk. Whew. Really long, some parts tough (steep), plenty of dicey places...it's not like there are sidewalks. Why torture yourself with a hard and possibly dangerous walk if you could be sitting enjoying the view?

I'd never in a jillion years try to walk it. Plenty of other ways to get exercise climbing up and down the streets in Fira and Oia.

We did the local bus. Fun, easy, interesting, could enjoy the views.

The first time we were in Santorini, we rented a car from Tony's. It was August..very hot and crowded.We treked to the office, made our way to Oia, but COULD not park, no spaces! The second time we took the bus, very crowded, waited a LONG time. We did make it to Oia, however getting back was a real experience, the bus was late, crowded and very hot. Again, it was in late July. This time we are renting again, and going to the beaches.We are renting from another company,one that picks you up at the port...I will let you know. In spite of it all, we love Santorini and will continue to return. We wanted a taxi last year, but they were all booked.I think the bus experience is contingent upon when you travel and the number of ships in port that day!

Karen

We were there three years ago on Celebrity and went on the ship's excursion and it was a great introduction to Santorini, Greek life, etc. We went to Oia and to a winery and all around the island. It was nice and took all of the stress out of figuring out how we were going to get around.

This time, we will be in port in July (16th -24th) and we may just wing it on our own, possibly on the bus. I am concerned about the crowds.

I'd love to recall how to determine how many ships are in port that dayl. I just can't remember! Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Are you there on Equinoxe on the 23rd? If so the news is mixed. You have one other ship in port - Costa Allegra, a small-sized ship. Also, as is typical with Costa cruises, she's only doing a half-day call - 07:00 to 13:00, so the afternoon should be easier. But it does mean there will be a bit of a scramble first thing, with both ships arriving at the same time. The best thing is to get as early a tender ticket as you can and patiently queue for the cable car: you'vwe got all day, the passengers on the Costa ship will be fretting more than you because they've only got half a day.

The site is http://cruisett.com.

We will be in Santorini on July 21st on Splendor of the Seas. Any idea who is in port that day? Could you pass along the website? Thanks!!!

There are not really any accurate web sites. I checked before we left and there were supposed to be 3 ships there with a total passenger load of under 400. Turned out there were 12 that day with a load of over 8000. Just go and don't worry about it.

Archived