Day Trip to the Caves?

peanutzmom

Is it possible as a cruise passenger to do a trip to the caves? If so, can anyone recommend a good tour guide that will get us back to the ship on time?

I spent a week in Puerto Rico with my parents way back in 1990, and I remembered how much I loved our excursion to the caves. I thought my kids (age 10 and 12) would really enjoy it, but if I remember right, it's a good two hour drive from San Juan.

So, I guess what I'm asking is if anyone knows of a tour that caters to cruise passengers and will get us back to the ship. Thanks!

Hi! I don't know the answer :o but I know this has been asked a lot. You can try to search this board for Camuy or Arecibo Observatory (many people ask about both places at the same time) and I think you'll find info! HTH :)

I would check with Albert Aguirre, who comes highly recommended on these boards. We toured the rainforest with him in March. He was great! The cave system is not one of his standard tours, but he mentioned that it was one of his personal favorite places to go on the island. You could email him & see what he says.

Surf Cab Tours

Albert Aguirre

email: surfcabs@yahoo.com

phone: (787)317-6907.

• 3 weeks later...

Albert missed his committment to me.....please be sure you have a back-up if you choose to use him....do not end up negotiating outside the terminal like I did when he did not honor my 2:30 reservation on May 22nd 2010.

Marianne

Albert missed his committment to me.....please be sure you have a back-up if you choose to use him....do not end up negotiating outside the terminal like I did when he did not honor my 2:30 reservation on May 22nd 2010.

Marianne

I was trying to set up a tour to the caves with Albert. I guess that doesn't sound like a good idea. He hasn't responded to my email either. Do you have a recommendation for a back up plan?

Were you able to get to the caves with the tour guides outside the terminal? If so how long did it take to get there and if you don't mind how much were you charged and how many were on your tour?

My husband and I and friends of ours were on the Caribbean Princess May 9-18 2010. We had pre-arranged with Albert Aguire (Surfcabs)for a Rainforest tour on May 12. I have several emails. Albert assured us that we were confirmed for the tour and told me that he'd be waiting outside the gate in San Juan and for us to give him a call on his cell when we were off the ship. We got off and Albert was nowhere to be found. I called him and he seemed surprised and told me that he'd already picked up another group and was on the way to the rainforest. he apologized that he had forgotten us and said he'd try to ahve one of his associates take us. He said he'd call me right back. Well, after waiting for quite a while we started asking aother folks if they could take us to the rainforest. By that time no one would take us as the rainforest closes at 6 and the drive could take an hour or more in the late day traffic. Albert called me back after an hour and a half, yes it really took that long, and left a message. Long story short-we all had been so looking forward to the rainforest and never got there despite Albert's "you are confirmed" emails. I would not recommend him and would recommend that if you are planning to use Albert that you have a back up plan. You may need it.

If you are talking about the Rio Camuy caves, it sounds like not the greatest thing to do from a cruise ship. From the reviews I've read, it can take the entire day and may not be open at all if the weather is bad. It is quite a drive from San Juan and there is no guarantee you will actually get on a tour once you get there.

We have a whole day pre-cruise for touristing so had figured to rent a car for the day and drive ourself. We like to go where we want when we want as much as possible. Figured to leave very early and do the cave first but main goal is Arecibo Observatory. Dependig on what time it gets to be either lunch or dinner in or near the town of Arecibo. Perhaps on Lagos Dos Bocas. Then back to San Juan after making a whole day of it. We can tour San Juan the next day when the rest of our group arrives.

Still trying to figure out which places are either wheelchair OK or short enough walking (1/4 mile or less) for cane.

Still trying to figure out which places are either wheelchair OK or short enough walking (1/4 mile or less) for cane.

Do you know what you want to see? If you have a list, I can try to tell you if they are wheelchair /cane friendly.

OSJ is historical, so not too much has been changed to met ADA. But some stuff is good.

Archived