Athens: pros and cons of diy vs taxi tour

utsoob

The ***** website indicates that they will arrange for a licensed tour guide for an additional fee. Has anyone done this? We'd like a guided tour of the sites in addition to what the taxis can provide.

Yes, we have. We used George the Famous Taxi driver's son Billy who does larger groups. We requested a guide and she was wonderful. If you go to George's the Famous Taxi driver he has another son who does smaller tours in a limo. Billy , the driver and Pepe his guide were the best tour we had of all the ones I booked privately. There were 17 of us in our family and the cost was 800 euros total, did not include lunch or admissions.

I posted Billy's web site in a previous post, so I will look the web site of the other brother.

Good luck.

I went to George's Taxi service and found a new website for him . http://www.taxigreece.com. You will see tours that he offers. His son Dennis is also featured at http://www.athens-limo.com.

If Dennis is anything like his brother Billy you will have a great time. Billy told us he was born in the US, but father took the family back to Greece. Very personable great English.

I f none of these web sites help just keep on looking until you find the right tour for your needs or e-mail these companies and see what they offer or can do for your private tour.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for the right tour for our entire group. It wasn't easy but still much cheaper than what Holland America offered. I also booked a private tour in Istanbul and Ephesus with another company. We cruised May 4 from Venice and returned to Venice sunday May 16. Don't miss Ephesus!!!!!!

Have a wonderful cruise.

I went to George's Taxi service and found a new website for him . http://www.taxigreece.com. You will see tours that he offers. His son Dennis is also featured at http://www.athens-limo.com.

If Dennis is anything like his brother Billy you will have a great time. Billy told us he was born in the US, but father took the family back to Greece. Very personable great English.

I f none of these web sites help just keep on looking until you find the right tour for your needs or e-mail these companies and see what they offer or can do for your private tour.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for the right tour for our entire group. It wasn't easy but still much cheaper than what Holland America offered. I also booked a private tour in Istanbul and Ephesus with another company. We cruised May 4 from Venice and returned to Venice sunday May 16. Don't miss Ephesus!!!!!!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks so much, San. That is very helpful. While I have you here ;), who did you use in Ephesus?

We used Ekol. I asked if they could give us a deal because we were so many people and we booked 3 tours with them, tour of Istanbul, Istanbul Orient show and Ephesus. They did agree and we had a rather large mini bus all to ourselves.

We have booked Nikos at privategreecetours. The charge is 400 Euro for 8-9 hours of touring in Athens for up to 12 people. We have posted on our Roll call and hopefully we can get 6 people to join us. At that rate ($33 Euro per person) it is a great value (in my opinion). In comparison, I was quoted over $35 per person for a 5 hour tour of Sicily.

I also have school aged children and cannot imagine trying to navigate a city on foot that I've never been to in 100 degree heat. There is a VERY GOOD chance that public transport will be on Strike (this is Greece, and they are going through so much turmoil right now)... then how would we get back to the ship? Rely on a taxi which has probably already raised rates under that situation.

Athens is a place I have always dreamed of visiting and with only 1 day to see it, I don't want to risk getting lost, stuck without transport, wasting time looking for sites, or dealing with cranky kids in the heat.

The ***** website indicates that they will arrange for a licensed tour guide for an additional fee. Has anyone done this? We'd like a guided tour of the sites in addition to what the taxis can provide.

We have 16 people. I am not sure if the charge is per person or just a flat rate. But the cost would have been €160 (€10 per person) for just the Acropolis or €220 for the entire day. While I have read that with the amount of commentary that Paul provides, a professional licensed guide is not necessary, we thought there would be value added. Also, Paul does not go into sites and licensed guide will. Hope that helps. After my cruise, I will be more than happy to re-visit this here and write about the what Paul does and what the guide does.

We have 16 people. I am not sure if the charge is per person or just a flat rate. But the cost would have been €160 (€10 per person) for just the Acropolis or €220 for the entire day. While I have read that with the amount of commentary that Paul provides, a professional licensed guide is not necessary, we thought there would be value added. Also, Paul does not go into sites and licensed guide will. Hope that helps. After my cruise, I will be more than happy to re-visit this here and write about the what Paul does and what the guide does.

That would be great! Thank you. When do you cruise??

As I mentioned earlier, we used Paul from Athens Taxi for a group of 6 from our Roll Call.

One of the reasons we did not hire a guide at the Acropolis was to maximize the flexibility for all to explore it at their own pace and given what struck them of interest in this very large area. Our group had an age range of late 20's up to 74. One couple were avid photographers. We "split" up quite a bit, we all made it to the top and all around, crossing paths time and time again, taking photos, and lingering where we each felt like it, etc. With a guide, we would have had to stay together.

Paul's commentary as we drove there included detailed photo guide books of the entire area which he had enough of for all of us. We were well prepared to explore when we arrived even though some took a little longer to get up there. If we wanted to buy the book (printed in Athens) later it was 5 euros.(5 X 8 in, 80 pg., glossy paperback w. many, many color photos)

I see it is available on Amazon.

Athens: Acropolis

Editions G. Gouvoussis (2009)

4 used copies available at 8.99 USD. Found it by "search"

using: G Gouvoussis.

But any simple guide to the Acropolis to review before hand would do, if for whatever reason you are not hiring a guide.

BTW. We stayed as long as we wanted. Which was quite awhile. We were there early and nearly had it to ourselves. Then the tour buses arrived!

Hey Trvlrs:

Thanks for the research and information regarding Athens! We also wanted to do something similar as you. Out of curiosity, do you know how far is the walk from the Acropolis to the Plaka Shopping Area? Also, do you know if the Taxi can accomodate 4 people? Or, will we have to take 2 taxis?

Thanks and Aloha,

Aloha Boy

You are welcome but "manurules" deserves the thank you. He/She was a great source of information.

I am not sure of the walking distance, time wise, from the Acropolis to the Plaka but from what I've read it's downhill and I am assuming about 30 minutes. The uphill in the August heat would be unbearable and that's why we decided to take a taxi straight to the Acropolis. I am also hoping to beat the crowds and the midday heat.

As far as taxi, I don't think you would have a problem with 4 passengers (1 in front and 3 in the back)

Good luck, when are you sailing?

I was given this information about taxis in Athens and thought it would be good to share. Unfortunatley I dont recall the source, but I think it was our cruise line.

...if you opt for taxi transport, prepare to be fleeced ... unless of course you are, um, prepared. While taxi fares are posted at the port terminal (by destination they range from about eight to 12 euros into various points in Athens), the ever-so-charming drivers will try to convince you that the fares are per person (they're not!). Coming back to Piraeus from Athens (we were in Syntagma Square), the driver tried to tell me the fare was a flat 35 euros (admittedly it was rush hour but I'm not an idiot -- Piraeus is just seven miles away). I protested, cited the price stated at the terminal, and he balked, I picked up my cell phone and told him I'd have to check ... and he "all of a sudden" became more agreeable and proposed a fare of 15 euros. That seemed fair and, believe it or not, he wanted to shake hands on it (and so we did)! Tip: If there's no meter, keep your cell phone handy; my service gave me a number (1404) to call with questions. If there is a meter, make sure that the number one vs. number two is what shows up (#2 is for post-midnight, double-the-fare trips; if you're traveling any other time you should not pay this).

Editor's strong hint: Keep your cell phone handy and do not hesitate to call the numbers we've provided if you feel something is amiss. Better yet, do it in front of the taxi driver.... Also, taxis operate unofficially on the jitney system, indicating willingness to pick up others by blinking their headlights or simply slowing down. You'll need to shout out your destination as the driver cruises by (or others may shout out a direct destination and you will wind up sharing a cab). And one more thing: Locals don't tip drivers, but do round up to the next convenient euro. Once you're in Athens, you'll find it a wonderfully walk-able city.

We have returned from our cruise and trip to Athens. First of all, get to the Acropolis prior to 10:30 a.m. and wear your comfortable walking shoes with tread as you walk on some uneven, slick surfaces.

There are some cabs inside the port area when you get off the ship. Or, there is a shuttle right off the ship that will take you to the port entrance where you can catch a cab. They will take you to the Acropolis entrance.

Cost is approx 20-25 euros. If you plan DIY, take a good map. Also people are friendly and can give you directions to the Plaka and museum.

If you hire a taxi prior, you can expect to pay over 200 Euros p/p. YOu may want to get a group together to reduce the cost.

That would be great! Thank you. When do you cruise??

Sorry for not getting back earlier. We on July 4-16 Ruby Med cruise. I will review all of my excursions (most are with roll call and private tours) during the week of July 18.

We have returned from our cruise and trip to Athens. First of all, get to the Acropolis prior to 10:30 a.m. and wear your comfortable walking shoes with tread as you walk on some uneven, slick surfaces.

There are some cabs inside the port area when you get off the ship. Or, there is a shuttle right off the ship that will take you to the port entrance where you can catch a cab. They will take you to the Acropolis entrance.

Cost is approx 20-25 euros. If you plan DIY, take a good map. Also people are friendly and can give you directions to the Plaka and museum.

If you hire a taxi prior, you can expect to pay over 200 Euros p/p. YOu may want to get a group together to reduce the cost.

Welcome Back wdmtraveler...Thank you for the report.

1- You mention a shuttle from the ship to the port entrance. Was this for your cruise line or is the shuttle available for all cruise lines passengers?

2- Did you walk from the Acropolis to the Plaka or vice versa? Have you any idea how long it would take or how far of a walk it is?

Thanks...

Returned last Sunday from Athens. Here are some thoughts for you.

1. Cabs are plentiful at the port, when we left the ship there must have been 200 lines up waiting. The fare to the center of Athens is about 25 Euro, and cabs can hold three or four people.

2. There is no need or use for a cab in central Athens. IMO a cab once you are there is worthless, and maybe a hindrance.

3. If you are going to the Acropolis, have the cab drop you at the entrance, it is a short walk up from there (though steep).

4. After you explore the Acropolis, walk down and visit the old Agora, then head up through the center of Athens visiting all the sites.

5. Finally go to the Plaka and the Temple of the Olympian Zeus and then back to the ship.

6. On a map this look like a huge area but in fact it is not large at all.

One last tip, buy rick Steves guide book before you go, spend the money on that not a guide unless you want to listen to hours of history that you can read and miss a lot of sites.

...Most Taxi drivers, as everyone on this board knows, are not tour guides. Basically, they pick you up and drop you off. We want to do the Acropolis and The Plaka. We really don't need a driver to walk around the streets with us. I've called around and most quoted me about 230euros. That is an exhorbitant amount... I am assuming and hoping that catching a cab from the port of Piraeus to the Acropolis and a cab from The Plaka back to the port of Piraeus would save us a bundle of money.

On three different occasions, we have done Athens all three ways: With a licensed guide, with a taxi company, and walking the Antiquities Promenade DIY with a guidebook. It depends on your style and preferences which is right for you.

It is very true that many companies such as Greek Taxi do not furnish licensed tour guides. However, our experience with Nick was that he was a font of knowledge on all things Greek, ancient and modern. He did not go into the actual sites with us, but he gave us a great deal of information and hints about how to make the best of the trip. He was also a genius about logistics and managed to drop us right at the entrance to the sites despite the policemen standing around! His knowledge of Athens and ability to get around gave us time to see many more things. And he also found a wonderful little local gyros place for our lunch!

For this service and attention, we paid a very modest price, close to the 230 Euros mentioned above. Contrary to being "exhorbitant" we considered it money very well spent for the great enhancement to our trip.

Some people are happy with DIY, maneuvering public transportation and getting themselves where they want to go. Frankly, having paid thousands for a dream cruise, I am not going to worry about a couple of hundred to see some of the greatest attractions in the Western World with expert help!

YMMV.

... we paid a very modest price, close to the 230 Euros mentioned above. Contrary to being "exhorbitant" we considered it money very well spent for the great enhancement to our trip.

Some people are happy with DIY, maneuvering public transportation and getting themselves where they want to go. Frankly, having paid thousands for a dream cruise, I am not going to worry about a couple of hundred to see some of the greatest attractions in the Western World with expert help!

YMMV.

With all do respect 230 euros is an exhorbitant amount for a taxi driver, no matter how informant he is. Obviously, to someone who cruises 3 times a year, nor time nor money are of any importance.

Returned last Sunday from Athens. Here are some thoughts for you.

1. Cabs are plentiful at the port, when we left the ship there must have been 200 lines up waiting. The fare to the center of Athens is about 25 Euro, and cabs can hold three or four people.

2. There is no need or use for a cab in central Athens. IMO a cab once you are there is worthless, and maybe a hindrance.

3. If you are going to the Acropolis, have the cab drop you at the entrance, it is a short walk up from there (though steep).

4. After you explore the Acropolis, walk down and visit the old Agora, then head up through the center of Athens visiting all the sites.

5. Finally go to the Plaka and the Temple of the Olympian Zeus and then back to the ship.

6. On a map this look like a huge area but in fact it is not large at all.

One last tip, buy rick Steves guide book before you go, spend the money on that not a guide unless you want to listen to hours of history that you can read and miss a lot of sites.

Thank you zqvol for the info. Very helpful...

With all do respect 230 euros is an exhorbitant amount for a taxi driver, no matter how informant he is. Obviously, to someone who cruises 3 times a year, nor time nor money are of any importance.

I beg to differ. An all day driver with knowledge and personal service is a bargain at 230 euros, especially considering what you would have to pay for an excursion for the same number of people. My experience is that paying per person for a less personalized tour is what is exhorbitant. Of course doing it yourself is cheaper, but then you are doing it yourself. :) We don't have a lot of money but when we travel we want to get the most out of every port to make the most of the expense.

Au contraire, in order to put our money into our priorities, we are on a very tight budget all year and work very hard to get the money to cruise. How is that somehow pertinent? Do you feel you have to put us down to support your position?

The question is, what are YOUR priorities? We stretch our budget in many ways in order to be able to "play rich" when we travel. Cutting corners in the cradle of civilization does not make sense to me. Eating beans at home does.

230 Euros to see the Acropolis? Worth it.

$1500 for a 54" TV? Not worth it.

That's the way we see it. That's why we felt Greek Taxi was a great bargain for a memory that will last forever. YMMV.

My wife and I were on a cruise last July that stopped in Athens. Most of the taxi's were not interested in a trip to just take you to the Acropolis - they wanted to charge 150 euro for a 4 hour "tour". Some people were scammed into a 50 euro cab ride. We took a cab and the entire time he tried to pressure us into a tour for 150 euro's.

The problem with the subway is the long walk to the station and the heat. However, the subway cost about 1 euro for about 90 minutes of travel time. If it's not blazing hot or your ship pulls into port early in the morning - I'd recommend the subway.

Do your homework before you go. What do you want to see and where is it located in relation to the other sites you want to see? Check to see which subway lines are nearest your itinerary. The acropolis is very crowded and not designed to have the numbers of people entering and exiting. Bring water and be patient. If you're in reasonable shape - take the subway back to the port and walk to your ship - buy something nice with the money you saved. Once back at the ship - soak in the pool for a while to reward yourself for the hot and sweaty walk you just did.

The question is, what are YOUR priorities? We stretch our budget in many ways in order to be able to "play rich" when we travel. Cutting corners in the cradle of civilization does not make sense to me. Eating beans at home does.

Very well put....we too cut corners at home in order to travel 2 or 3 times a year. We usually do a combination of DIY and local tours. We were in Athens last Sept and heading there again this Oct on a cruise from Rome to Egypt. (This will be our 1st time in Egypt!) Really enjoyed reading about your adventures on your website. Lots of good info there! Thank you!!

I am going to jump in on this discussion for the newer people who might be looking for private tour info on this thread. We were in Athens in mid-May (a month ago). We did our homework and contacted http://www.toursofathens.com and Dennis (the owner) hooked us up with two other couples for the entire day in Athens. It was economical because the per person charge was so much less than a ship shore ex, and very personalized. I checked on the demographics of the other two couples, and since we were similar in age, our day together was incredible because our interests were similar. Cost ended up to be E75 per person. I think this option was the best of all worlds. I wrote an extensive review of our cruise on the reviews thread in Celebrity Equinox.

Experienced Athens visitors: We are stymied as to whether to go with Paul's taxi for our family of 5 to see Athens in July vs just doing it on our own. Our 3 kids are 8-12 years old. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

In Athens we only went from the port to the Acropolis. We used cabs and it was very doable. Within walking distance of the Acropolis is the Plaka, Hadrians Arch, the Agora, Mars Hill and many other sites. If you are looking for a great place to eat in the Plaka, try Scholario. It's family style Greek and the food was great.

There were six of us and we traveled in 2 cabs. The cost of the cabs was 20 euros per cab not per passenger. We were told if the cab drivers balked at the price to turn around and walk away. The moment we did the price came down.

We were there on a Sunday and the crowds and the traffic was very light. Travel time between Pireaus and the Acropolis was about 20 minutes. I have been told however that on a weekday or a Saturday the trip can take up to 1 1/2 hours each way because of the traffic...

Archived