Do you tip the head waiter?? Just curious

Sorry - what you describe is a 'service charge' - not a tip. A tip should be voluntary for great service (hint: above normal, regular service). Call a spade a spade. It just peeves be to pay someone extra to do their regular job.

Aww crap... I promised myself that I wouldnt get involved in another tipping war... too late.:(

I think you missed Theron's entire point. It is not him who decided to call the wait staff's earnings a gratuity or "tip." That is what the cruise lines have decided. He's just pointing out the truth, that it really is the major part of their earnings, and not simply a little something extra.

Others have also argued that they should really call it a service charge and make it mandatory, but RC has so far chosen to keep it as a voluntary thing. Now it's mandatory for MTD guests, though, so that may be just the start of making it mandatory for everyone (or not).

I guess you are right, Paul. The subject just gets me riled up when folks when they blur the point of what the definition or meaning behind what tipping is supposed to be.

What has become an exception ('A tip for me sir? Thank you so much! It is a pleasure to serve you..')

'

is expected, and become, the norm. ( THOU SHALT TIP ALWAYS! 'I reached around, picked up a bottle of beer and handed it to you...NOW WHERE IS MY TIP?')

:D

Sorry - what you describe is a 'service charge' - not a tip. A tip should be voluntary for great service (hint: above normal, regular service). Call a spade a spade. It just peeves be to pay someone extra to do their regular job.

Aww crap... I promised myself that I wouldnt get involved in another tipping war... too late.:(

Yes, Paul is right. The cruise line is knowingly using the wrong word to describe what this expected transaction actually is. It is not a tip, it is indeed a service charge. A rose by any other name is still a service charge. :)

I've mentioned before, I firmly believe that they do this on purpose because in spite of the name being incorrect, this system as it is works out best for all the major stakeholders: the cruise line, the employees, and the passengers. One day I need to take the time to write it all down so I can convince everyone. :)

Theron

I have found that on our last few cruises that the head waiter is usually not very visible. He will usually only show up at the table the last night. I tip based on service. So if he or she is not interested in speaking to those at the table until the last evening then no tip is given. IMO

Yes, we always tip the head waiter. Since we don't consider stopping by to speak to us as service, but we do realize and understand what a head waiter does. If they stop by, it's nice, if they don't, it's because they are busy.

If you pay attention, you can see what they are doing. What you don't see is what they do before and after the meal service. They earn the tips, whether people see them or not, their service is not laying food or drink down in front of you.

I have found that on our last few cruises that the head waiter is usually not very visible. He will usually only show up at the table the last night. I tip based on service. So if he or she is not interested in speaking to those at the table until the last evening then no tip is given. IMO

So the expected service of a headwaiter is to talk to people?

So the expected service of a headwaiter is to talk to people?

No... but a tip should be granted to someone who delivers an exceptional and personal service to you - not so?

Otherwise we would have to leave a tip for the chef, busboy who clears your plates off your table when you leave, ship engine engineers who keep the ship moving etc. etc.

What the head waiter is doing - is just his job.

No... but a tip should be granted to someone who delivers an exceptional and personal service to you - not so?

Otherwise we would have to leave a tip for the chef, busboy who clears your plates off your table when you leave, ship engine engineers who keep the ship moving etc. etc.

What the head waiter is doing - is just his job.

Well for me it doesn´t need exceptional service to grant a tip. To me, especially on a cruise, service grants a basic tip and will be increased by good and exceptional service.

Aren´t they all doing "just their job"?

The chef and the ship engineers are not in a tipped position, if they were, sure would they get their tip, as they actually do provide a personal service to me, just as the head waiter, even if does not come around every night to talk to me.

Not sure about your busboy example, as I´d think that would be the assistant waiter and sure s/he gets his/her tip. But maybe you are talking about someone else.

• 1 month later...
I was reading some tip thread and it prompted me to ask this question. I always wanted to know. Out of all the people listed on who to tip, I never even met the head waiter and was just wondering. I know they all work on tips, not sure of the head waiter if he gets a salary or not, I always tip as supposed to and sometimes more, was just curious on everyone's views on this. Thanks.

headwaiter is base on tip same like waiter /aast.waiter/cabin attend.

all base on tip.nothing else.no salary.

headwaiter supervised front and back of the house ,train all wait staff and monitor all service around the ship,wj cafe,cafe promenade,dining room,room service.is the main person in charge for all your needs around the ship regarding food service and not only.

Do I tip the head waiter?

Yes, usually the recommended amount but sometimes more for exceptional service. However one time I gave no tip due to the head waiter being what I perceived as being rude and moving my table (I objected to him doing this)in the dining room to accommodate other passengers (that did not belong at my table but wanted to sit together and picked my table because it was empty).

We just returned from the June 20 FOS and had a wonderful Head Waiter, Pramod Gour, from India. He spent time at our table every night. He talked to us about his country and its customs, gave us port advice and really made our dinners fun and interesting. He also made a point to speak to us if he saw us at different times of the day. He was fantastic and we definitely felt he deserved a tip.

Yes, we do tip the headwaiter! We have been on 8 cruises and have always received great dining room service. Sometimes the HW has been visible and sometimes not. Regardless of whether or not we actually see a lot of him, we do realize that he is at least partially responsible for the wonderful service we receive. Keep in mind that the recommended tip for a 7 day cruise is just 5.25 per person.

I'll just give my answer before I read the whole thread:

We always put our tips on our seapass account, and therefore tip the head waiter. I am one of those people that believes he or she is working hard to make sure my wait staff and special requests are going smoothly. I know they work hard for me, and we pay our part of their tips.

I wish we could tipthe sous chefs in the kitchen,too. We'd be sending tips into the soup and salad dressing makers all the time!!

The Head Waiter is responsible for training the waiters and assistant waiters. When you get excellent service it is because your Head Waiter did a good job with the training.

We have had two really bad waiters out of 25 cruises with RCI.

In each case, I contacted out Head Waiter, explained the problem, and the next night we had a new waiter and assistant. The Head Waiter explained to us that he had just promoted our waiter from assistant and he was sorry that he was not as ready as he had thought.

Another time we had problems with really tough steaks on the MDR alternative menu. Anter the third night I took the Head waiter aside, explained the problem, and offered my opinion that the entire lot of steaks was bad. I suggested that he try one. The next night he came back and said that all of the Head Waiters had tried them and they agreed they were terrible. This issue made it all of the way up to the Hotel Director and the Captain and back to the Home Office. On the next cruse, they had a new supplier. In the meantime, they quit offering the alternative steaks for the rest of our cruise.

The head waiters work mostly behind the scenes.

If you have a good dining experience in the MDR be sure to thank them and tip them.

Like several others have mentioned - the head waiter may not be visible every night - but if we are well taken care of and have great service then s/he must be doing their job; so I have no trouble tipping the head waiter $.75 per day.

We do the same. The amount of tip is quite small to worry about!

There seems to be a huge difference in their attentiveness to diners. Only one cruise did we actually meet the head waiter. He came to our table every night and spent about 5 minutes telling us about what our next port was going to be and what to expect on the menu for the next night. Since that one time, we have not seen another head waiter!

Maybe as others mentioned their behind the scenes work keeps them busy???

On the Explorer in 2008, we had a great Matre D'..He came by every night to have a quick chat. He was most gracious, told us a little about his family, etc. He was the best we ever had! We certainly did tip him + a little more. He deserved it.

One night he noticed my water glass was almost empty. He excused himself and in 2 seconds the assistant waiter came by and filled up the glasses. I'm sure he was not happy with the M'D telling him he needs to pay attention to the small details of table service.

That's my opinon! Keep the tips!

PS With MTD, there is the prepaid gratuties which automatically gives the M'D the tips, in case others don't. Good plan!

Archived