Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

The USVIs are one time zone (hour) earlier than EST - but be sure that your watch is on ship's time - that's the one that will determine when your ship leaves.

Carnival ships usually (as far as I know) dock at the Havensight Pier, but you should verify that. There are two ferries that run from STT to STJ - one leaves from downtown, which is walking distance from Havensight, and the other leaves from Red Hook, on the east end of the island. Time and cost are about the same on either one. The Red Hook ferries run more often. Using the ferry from Red Hook entails a taxi ride to get there, the downtown ferry would have you spending more time on the water. In December you *might* encounter swells that could make the longer ferry ride more uncomfortable - that depends on you and your group.

The taxis in Cruz Bay run to Trunk and Cinnamon Bays (as well as others possibly) and either one would be a good choice for a lazy beach day.

"A little shopping" means different things to different people. There are some charming little shops in Cruz Bay on STJ within easy walking distance of the ferry dock. Downtown STT is somewhat of a shopping mecca I am told, with stores of all descriptions as well as a straw market, restaurants, etc. If you want to shop in downtown Charlotte Amalie I would allow at least a couple of hours for that. There is also a mall at Havensight, so if your ship is indeed docking there, you can shop within sight of your ship.

Hope this helps!

augie: It sure did help alot. Thanks bunches :D Seems like the better idea would be to go to the one that runs more often. Allows more time at STJ.

Sorry, but just a few more questions.

Did I read it correctly in an earlier post that you can purchase round trip ferry tickets?? Whats the price for the ferry?? What was the price for a taxi from where we dock to Red Hook?? Also, once we arrive at STJ, do we take another taxi to the beach?? Price?? Once we are done at the beach, do we get another taxi back to the ferry or where ever we want to go??

This is only our 2nd cruise and I am trying to get as much info as possible and you guys are GREAT for providing just that!!

Did I read it correctly in an earlier post that you can purchase round trip ferry tickets??

I know that you can for the car barge, but I'm not sure about the "people ferry". But even if you can, I don't think there's a price break for doing so, therefore no real advantage to you.

Whats the price for the ferry??
$6.00/Adults and $1.00/Children ages 2-11

What was the price for a taxi from where we dock to Red Hook??
$10 per person.

Also, once we arrive at STJ, do we take another taxi to the beach?? Price??
Yes, there are open air taxis that will take you to the popular beaches along the north shore of St. John. You'll likely stop once or twice at scenic overlooks for photo opportunities. From Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay is $6 per person.

Once we are done at the beach, do we get another taxi back to the ferry or where ever we want to go??
Yes - there will be a lot of taxis in the parking lot waiting to take you back to Cruz Bay, or other places if you wish.

The ferry ride from Red Hook on STT to Cruz Bay on STJ takes about 20 minutes. Depending on the number of stops for photos, etc. the taxi from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay will probably be about the same, maybe a little shorter.

The advantage of going on your own, particularly with kids in tow, is that if they are READY to leave, you can catch a taxi now, rather than waiting for the ship's excursion return trip.

Thanks so much for the info!! I really appreciate the help!

Now I just need to figure out if our docked time of 9-6 is ship time or island time.....would love to get the 9am (island time) ferry!

Years ago, we booked a tour through the cruise ship to Trunk Bay and it was terrific. On a return visit we decided to go there on or own. Actually, we took the same ferry to Cruz Bay as a ships' tour. We mostly arrived at Trunk Bay at the same time. It happened to be lightly raining with lightning (in the distance) that day and the tour guide said "No one in the water--sorry". Well, we weren't with any group - just on our own so we went down the beach and went swimming and snorkeling while those folks on the tour had to sit on the beach. :D That would have really bummed me out..:mad:..being on that tour.

The eventually got about 30 minutes snorkel time and the tour had to leave.

We stayed, had lunch and returned AT OUR LEISURE. What a great day.:D

So I guess the general consensus is that's it's not necessarily that much cheaper than taking the ships excursion but it's the fact that you get more time on St. John that everyone really likes?

I'll be on Carnival victory, 7-5, will that be sufficient timing to get to St. John and back and have a decent amount of time on the beach?

Thanks for all the info. I researched this and if we (2 adults and 4 kids) take the Carnival excursion to Trunk Bay it will cost me $380.00. If we do it on our own with the Red Hook Ferry and taxi's it would be $288, if I rent a jeep or van from Budget it will be roughly $150.00. Who would of ever thought renting a car would be cheaper. Another plus is that we would be on our time, not with a tour. Sounds like the way to go, we will be renting our car thru Budget right at the Havensight dock.

You can easily get an open air taxi from Trunk, but sometimes you have to wait a bit until they have a few passengers. It can be more difficult to get a taxi if you go further up the coast to the other beaches, unless you can make arrangements prior, have your own rental, or thumb.

So I guess the general consensus is that's it's not necessarily that much cheaper than taking the ships excursion but it's the fact that you get more time on St. John that everyone really likes?

I think more time and being on your own schedule is the bigger benefit, but a lot of people find it to be cheaper as well. Probably the bigger your group, the more the money saved will be significant.

I'll be on Carnival victory, 7-5, will that be sufficient timing to get to St. John and back and have a decent amount of time on the beach?
Yes. Try to get off of the ship as early as you can.

It's $48 per person to go to Trunk Bay from the ships' pier - round trip - on your own - vs what - $79 - $89 per person on a shore exursion? or more...

Cab from Havensight to red hook -$10

Ferrry to Cruz bay r/t 12

taxi -Cruz bay to Trunk Bay -r/t 12

trunk bay entry fee 4

cab from red hook back to ship 10

--

$48

AND STAY ALL DAY- not 90 minutes......:D

Edited by satbeachbill

If your ship is docked at Havensight, the taxi ride is 15 - 20 minutes depending on traffic. If you are docked at Crown Bay (just west of downtown Charlotte Amalie) it's about 30 - 35 minutes, depending on traffic.

Glad everyone liked the info. We love stopping here! Can we go now?

Host Anne,

Thanks for all the great info, I am just about convinced to try St John on our own. Last time we were in St Thomas, we took a ship tour to St John but would love to have more than 90 minutes at Trunk Bay. Do you know if Solstice docks at Havensight? Is the ferry ride fairly smooth?

Thanks,

EMME

From my last night of our Alaska cruise....do St. John on your own! It's easy and there will be lots of other cruise ship passengers going along with you.

Solstice docks at Havensight and yes, the ferry ride from Red Hook is pretty calm.

By the way, the advantage of purchasing a round trip ferry ticket is you don't have to wait in sometimes long lines to purchase a return ticket in Cruz Bay. If I can avoid standing in a line a second time, I will :)

I'll be back soon....by the way....Alaska was FANTASTIC !!!!

Augie ~ you're awesome, too!

Thanks Host Anne for the info, especially taking time out on your cruise to answer. :). We will be doing St John on our own!!!

My DH thinks any cruise destination needs palm trees, so I am still trying to talk him into Alaska but I would love to cruise there and spend some time in the NW.

Thanks again, everyone has such great info.

Happy cruising,

Emme

Emme ~ we LOVE to cruise where there are palm trees, too, but everyone should experience Alaska. I should have photos ready this evening and will post a link. It's beauty rivals St. John and for me, that is saying a bunch! :)

Emme ~ we LOVE to cruise where there are palm trees, too, but everyone should experience Alaska. I should have photos ready this evening and will post a link. It's beauty rivals St. John and for me, that is saying a bunch! :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the Alaska cruise Anne. My wife was in charge of planning for our 15th anniversary and "for me" (she hates cold weather!) she chose a cruise to Alaska.

One of the best trips we ever took! the scenery is incredible - I was almost evangelical in the way I told EVERYONE that they HAD to see Alaska if they hadn't already.

It was so amazing my wife didn't even mind the cold - although it was kind of weird packing so many clothes!

Welcome back - you know where you need to go next...

We are in St. Thomas 10-8 Tues Sept 14th via Carnival Dream.

We want to go to St. John on our own.

For those of you experienced with this trip, please provide your input on our time frame for catching the Red Hook ferry over and especially returning.

We will be carrying our own snorkel gear with us.

The Oasis is also in port the same day, and relative same time period as Carnival Dream so lots of tourist in port on that day.

Thanks.

Susan

Color me worried! We'd been planning to hop over to St. John on our Carnival Glory cruise in January. Just looked up the port schedule, and OH NO.... we'll be sharing the islands with SIX other ships: Norwegian Gem, Celebrity Solstice, Disney Magic, Crown Princess, Norwegian Epic, and Freedom of the Seas. This makes me worry about DIY St. John... will the ferries all be full so we'd have to leave St. John even more than three hours before our ship departure in order to make sure we get a spot on a ferry, get a taxi, and don't get stuck in traffic back to Havensight? Can I even count on us being docked at Havensight with so many other ships there?

Just got off the Dream..we did the St. John's Trunk Bay excursion on our own and it cost us $46 per adult because we prearranged our return taxi ride back to the boat with the same driver. He gave us a $2 discount. The kids were a little cheaper because their (ages 2-11) ferry ride is only $1 and they get into the beach free (16 and under).

For those of you going to Trunk Bay - no matter how you get there. DO NOT go there without snorkel gear...I think you can rent it, but not sure how much. We took our own. I would also recommend taking flippers or fins. To the right of the beach there is a reef or little island that has an underwater snorkel tour. It has big stone placards underground guiding you through. It was amazing!! Underwater cameras a must too.

For those of you on the Dream...you don't have to get back on the ship til 7:30. We went back to the boat in the late afternoon, showered, changed and went back out to the skyride up the hill to a restaurant/bar. The round trip ride is $21 per person, but completely worth the view. I will try to get a pic or two up later. If you buy the tickets on the boat, you will get a $2 discount.

Thank-you to everyone for providing so much vaulable info. My delma is I love nature, and lounging on the beach. I'm taking my 62 y.o. uncle for his first cruise, first time in the V.I., so we need a beach with at least restroom facilities, is there a beach on St. John that can accomidate all 3 factors?

The ferry from Red Hook to Trunk Bay runs every hour on the hour and the same thing on the return.

We have been in St. Thomas with six or seven ships before and never had a problem getting to or from St. John on the ferries. They'll be full but we've never had a problem with overcrowding or missing one.

For those docking at 10:00 AM or later, you'll miss both the early morning rush and the mid-afternoon rush because your arrival/departure is later than others.

The only ships I currently see that are NOT docking at Havensight are Princess ships and Oasis. I do not think you need to allow more than three hours to get back to St. Thomas.

LoveLearnTeach ~ Trunk Bay probably gives you most of what you want. Unfortunately, none of the beaches that have restroom facilities have long walking trails off the beach. Walking the entire beach at Trunk or Cinnamon is beautiful and quite honestly, I can do it all day long and not get tired of the beauty. It's surreal.

ENJOY!

Anne thanks so much for your reply, I was hoping for a reply from you, but then I saw where you were finishing up a cruise in Alaska.

Off topic, but did you write a review, I would love to read it. I did Inside Passage in 2009 and can't wait to cruise Alaska again, it is SO amazing.

I was semi relieved to learn that Oasis will not be docking at the same location as Dream, just to aleviate the over crowding.

We are definitely going to go to St. John, weather permitting.

Thanks again :)

Susan

NosmothJ ~ here's the info

Taxi Cruise terminal to Red Hook Bay..........$10

Ferry to St Johns.......................................$6

Taxi to Trunk Bay......................................$6

Pricing is from Havensight. Add a few extra dollars if you are starting at Crown Bay.

Hoglady ~ Here's two links. One to my review; the other to my photos from Alaska. ENJOY!

REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1247854

PHOTOS: http://alaskasailawayforacure2010.shutterfly.com/

ENJOY!

Edited by Host Anne