Anti-fog gel or drops

I'm looking to buy anti-fog stuff for my snorkel mask and trying to decide between Mcnett Sea Drops or Sea Gold Gel:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUASAF.html

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUSG2.html

Which would you recommend? Or would you recommend something else or nothing at all? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Baby shampoo works just as well as any of the commercial products and it's a LOT cheaper.

Around two to three years ago SCUBA magazine did a head-to-head test comparing five commercial products plus spit and babyy shampoo. Baby shampoo came in second. There was one commercial product that outlasted baby shampoo barely but it was fifty times more expensive. I was a little surprised that they published the results of this comparison given that most of the commercial products were advertised in the magazine.

We take and put four or five ounces of baby shampoo in an empty water bottle. this is more than enough for two divers doing 15-20 dives. Bear in mind that you need only a drop or two of the baby shampoo per lense.

Hope this is helpful.:D

and baby shampoo DID burn my eyes....

There is a closely guarded secret governing how one keeps baby shampoo from burning the eyes. If you promise to not tell anyone I will share this secret.

Dilute the baby shampoo with water before putting it in the bottle to take with you on the dive. Over the years we have found that that the diluted baby shampoo works as well as the full strength stuff. We use two parts water to one part baby shampoo.

Please don't tell anyone though or lots of people my try the baby shampoo solution causing a world wide shortage and thereby forcing us to buy the expensive stuff.:D:D:D

There is a closely guarded secret governing how one keeps baby shampoo from burning the eyes. If you promise to not tell anyone I will share this secret.

Dilute the baby shampoo with water before putting it in the bottle to take with you on the dive. Over the years we have found that that the diluted baby shampoo works as well as the full strength stuff. We use two parts water to one part baby shampoo.

Please don't tell anyone though or lots of people my try the baby shampoo solution causing a world wide shortage and thereby forcing us to buy the expensive stuff.:D:D:D

I was going to ask you what the dilution to use, and here is the answer. THis is great to know, and if anything, it will help keep babyshampoo in stock! ;)

spit is less expensive and works twice as good

a good loogie costs nothing ..... swirl it around and away you go.

btw - do you rinse after applying your "no-fog" ..... well .... you rinsed it away didn't you?

Who pays $20 for artificial spit? That's four times the cost.

I agree. I'm seeing the gel for about $5-6 including shipping. Definitely worth the money for not having to spit. :D

But I will try baby shampoo first to see if that works well for me.

Actually spit (natural kind) did not fare well in the head to head testing I wrote about in that previous post. It came in dead last in duration. It was the cheapest though but not by much. Baby shampoo was down under a penny per application. It is one of the few true bargains left. BTW, we get the cheapy baby shampoo at Wally World. Works as well as more expensive brands of baby shampoo.

;):);)

My spit doesn't work very well - even with a really good loogie.

I used to be a devotee of Clear Edge (stings like hell) or Sea Drops (stings a bit). DH likes 500psi, which I can't stand. We both like baby shampoo.

One of our dive boat captains used well-diluted Palmolive dish detergent, which was good as well.

Ladies may not spit in public, but Lady divers sure do.

I won't mention getting the salt out of your nose on the surface or how wetsuits are warmed. Lady divers can't be squeamish by any means. ;)

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

my baby shampoo secret is out!!!! We always buy the travel size of baby shampoo and keep it on the boat and in our gear bags.

For the record....you have to blow your nose...gross, but i do it in the water and rinse my hand......do not save it for the boat...ewwww. I refuse to pee in the wetsuit...the smell never comes out. My biggest fear on dive boat is Bootie juice....those who pee in their wetsuit, that pee mixes with the water and is in the booties when you are on board.....nasty...careful where you sling the juice!:eek:

Archived