Folding beach chairs in luggage for parade viewing?

seajay829

OK, the day is nearing! We arrive in New Orleans on Feb 2nd! There are parades scheduled each of the nights we are there. I don't know that we will hit all of them, but I am wondering, if I should put a couple of compact folding beach chairs in our luggage for parade viewing for DD and myself. Any thoughts?

I know that rain is currently predicted for Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, so we will bring our umbrellas. We are from Oregon, a little rain won't dampen our spirits (well unless it is that sideways kind, and then not for long). I do have a question about a possible rainy day activity? Is the rock and bowl child friendly for a 7 year old?

I found a special Jazz church service at the Methodist Church on St. Charles in Uptown. It is from 11:00 to 12:ish. If we had a taxi drop our bags off at the pier with a porter around 9:30ish, I think it may be possible to hail another cab to then drop us off near the church. But is it earthly possible to get back to the pier to get on the ship? Do the street cars still run or are they shut down? Or just so over crowded that it is a nightmare? Should we forget the Jazz service and just hang out near the pier until we can board?

Thanks in advance,

Cindy

Oops, we meet again.

I would skip the chairs. You won't be able to see anything and people may well be spilling drinks on you, tripping over you or running into you, not looking where they are going.

I really like Rock'n'Bowl - like nothing you're likely to find anywhere else. Thursday night is Zydeco Night! But the schedule looks strange - upstairs is where the bowling alley is and bigger dance floor, etc. For some reason, most of the music next week (and for a while) seems to be in the cafe - the first floor area which doesn't really cut it for me, but you might still enjoy.

http://www.rocknbowl.com/CalandarPAGE/mounths/february.html

Forget the streetcar or getting back to the cruise ship via St Charles. There are two parades that are going down St Charles and for better or worse, the parade routes are going to end at the Convention Center right within a stones throw or two of the cruise ships.

I would try to get to the ship early and not venture beyond walking distance from it. Your risk is that you will either run into a parade, run into traffic trying to get to parade, or run into traffic leaving after the parade.

Maybe think again about dropping the suitcases off, a gospel or jazz brunch, catch the end of a couple of parades and get on the ship in time to collapse.

I agree- you definately will have no use for folding chairs- parade viewing is very crowded and no room for chairs. But there will be brisk sales of the "ladders". What time does your ship sail? If in the evening and your REALLY want the Jazz service (also consider Preservation Hall if jazz is the priority) then use the same cab for luggage drop off and church drop off. Consider a big tip for a 12:30pm pick up perhaps??

Lawdy, NO....no beach chairs. You and the chairs would be trampled. And I'd sure stay near the port - that traffic can come to a complete standstill for a lonnnnnng time, and I'd sure hate for you to miss the ship's sailing.:rolleyes: Enjoy a parade...something you'll never forget, I ga-ron-tee!

OK, I am wondering, if I should put a couple of compact folding beach chairs in our luggage for parade viewing for DD and myself. Any thoughts?

OK then, no chairs it is! I am so glad I asked, I would have hated to schlep those things for nothing. I am changing my picture of a parade from less of a Rose Parade to more of a Times Square New Years Eve kind of image.

Although it sounds really special, will can the idea of the jazz service at churh and go back to earlier plan of gospel brunch at Prailine Connection.

Thanks again for keeping me from looking like a total Yankee :cool: and from missing the ship and having to hitch hike to Jamaica.

By the way Zydeco, I am over it.

Cindy

OK then, no chairs it is! I am so glad I asked, I would have hated to schlep those things for nothing. I am changing my picture of a parade from less of a Rose Parade to more of a Times Square New Years Eve kind of image.

Although it sounds really special, will can the idea of the jazz service at churh and go back to earlier plan of gospel brunch at Prailine Connection.

Thanks again for keeping me from looking like a total Yankee :cool: and from missing the ship and having to hitch hike to Jamaica.

By the way Zydeco, I am over it.

Cindy

Still my apologies, twas not meant to be personal, just me spewing from cumulative effects of numerous posts.

People can go crazy trying to catch cheap plastic beads and stamped aluminum coins (doubloons) and all kinds of junk. Might not be Times Square, but closer to that than the Rose Parade or Macy's.

And to make you even crazier, I might consider House of Blues for the Sunday Brunch (need reservations for either - and may even be too late). Haven't been able to find out who is playing at Praline Connection Gospel and Blues Club, but Zulu Gospel Ensemble is playing at HOB. There are two shows, 9:30am and 11:45am. Also sounds like the food will be better than the Praline Connection offerings. Besides, you can eat again as soon as you are on the ship, anyway.

You would probably be ok with the Jazz Church service - just St Charles would not be the way to go. I would fly down Tchoupitoulas. Have to make sure you miss Thoth parade, and before Mid-City gets going.The ship doesn't leave until 6pm. If the service is over at 12:30 you have lots of time, but could be a little tricky. Most taxi drivers should know how to get you to the cruise ship or at least close to it. What is the address on St Charles of the Church?

Maybe ask the taxi driver like Budget Queen suggested and if he balks, ??

Rayne Memorial United Methodist Church, New Orleans, LA. is located in the 3900 block of St. Charles near the Garden District.

I'll ask our cabbie from the airport what he thinks of the whole idea. If I am to offer a generous tip for our port driver to drop luggage at port, get us to church and pick us up at 12:30 and get us to the port, which Presidents would be considered generous? I am assuming half when we're dropped off and the other half when we are picked up?

Either way, we know we have a fabulous back up plan and then we are getting on a ship for a week.

When we get off the ship, our plane doesnt leave til 6:40, so I've reserved a car and brunch at HOB, then thought we would tour Oak Alley before heading for the airport. Oak Alley seems to get a lot of play and is in the reasonable proximity of the airport.

Another United number is: 524-9606. Not sure about the dead presidents question. Mardi Gras is a "special event" which means the taxis will probably already be overcharging.

Some issues..

The taxi that drops your luggage off may have a problem waiting for very long before the police tell him to move along. You will want to keep with you a carry on bag of some sort with tickets, passports, meds, anything you might need for the next few hours until the luggage is delivered to your cabin. Maybe a couple of bucks per bag ready for the porter that takes the bags.

Depending on the time, the taxi may not be able to drop you off exactly at the church. Prytannia may be the closest (a couple of blocks away). Almost certainly would not be able to pick up up at the door. The cross street looks like General Taylor Street.

I might ask your hotel if they could just arrange the whole thing in advance for you, including a negotiated rate - they should know what the deal is. If not, call United and ask them the best way to do it - they are considered the most honest cab company in the city.

Think I would also call the Church and make sure they are going to have the jazz service.

Rayne Memorial United Methodist Church, New Orleans, LA. is located in the 3900 block of St. Charles near the Garden District.

I'll ask our cabbie from the airport what he thinks of the whole idea. If I am to offer a generous tip for our port driver to drop luggage at port, get us to church and pick us up at 12:30 and get us to the port, which Presidents would be considered generous? I am assuming half when we're dropped off and the other half when we are picked up?

Either way, we know we have a fabulous back up plan and then we are getting on a ship for a week.

When we get off the ship, our plane doesnt leave til 6:40, so I've reserved a car and brunch at HOB, then thought we would tour Oak Alley before heading for the airport. Oak Alley seems to get a lot of play and is in the reasonable proximity of the airport.

I doubt you will have much time for the HOB brunch then a trip to Oak Alley. NO airport is small but can have long waits in the security line- last trip in Dec. we waited over an HOUR. So I would definately be there an hour and half before the flight. You probably won't have time for a tour, but will get 3 plantations to look at on a drive by, Evergreen, Laura - consider eating at the next door B&C, then Oak Alley. I would cross one the bridges that will take you to 10 then the airport. Don't come back the way you came- if you crossed the bridge in NO.

Archived