help me with cruiseline selection

lisah168

We would like to take a cruise trip to Alaska in May/June, 2011. Our requirements are pretty simple:

1. would like to include Glacier Bay in our cruise itinerary

2. would like to have a balcony

3. good food (not too improtant but would be nice to have)

We are open to choice of departure city and rest of the itinerary (inside passage, one way, etc.)

Which cruise line has the most affordable balcony (not obstructed view ones) that meet our requirements?

This is something, you, need to research. You have given essentially a "list" of a lot of cruises sailing, next year.

It's easy enough to look at Princess, HAL and NCL< for their particular Glacier Bay itineraries, and look at current pricing online. Posters here, can not reference booking agents anyway. So, what pricing someone else may find, may not be available to you, by time you "figure" out, where they got it.

We have a balcony on HAL Zuiderdam in June 2011. It is cheaper than the same itinerary on HAL Volendam because the Zuiderdam has more balconies available. We picked June hoping for warmer weather, but if you go in May prices are better. Our first Alaskan cruise was in May NB on Princess (balcony cabin), and they did a great job. On NCL you sail out of Seattle, which IMHO is a downgrade since your first and last days are out in the Pacific, not in the inside passage. HAL or Princess to/from Vancouver one way or HAL Zuiderdam round trip out of Vancouver, like we're doing this time, would be my choice.

Looks like you're the go-to expert on Alaskan cruises. Thanks for any thoughts you might offer. I've noticed that there isn't alot of mention on Celebrity cruise/tours unless of course I haven't looked far enough into this thread. We've cruised Alaska on Princess about 12/13 yrs ago, it was our very first cruise and had a fantastic trip. We're actually looking at doing the glass-domed traincar to Denali, any other lines offer this besides Celebrity?

Looks like you're the go-to expert on Alaskan cruises. Thanks for any thoughts you might offer. I've noticed that there isn't alot of mention on Celebrity cruise/tours unless of course I haven't looked far enough into this thread. We've cruised Alaska on Princess about 12/13 yrs ago, it was our very first cruise and had a fantastic trip. We're actually looking at doing the glass-domed traincar to Denali, any other lines offer this besides Celebrity?

All the lines have a "dome" car. BUT be aware with Princess, it is table seating so 2 ride backward. I think it FAR more important, to go for as long as you can afford with any cruisetour selection and avoid the short tours. In my opinion, the Anchorage/Denali Park train trip is pretty, tame, and it just about parallels the Parks Highway. It is way superior to be, to be in a car and the ability to stop where I want. BY far the most scenic portion of the Alaska RR is Anchorage/Seward. The regular run of the Alaska RR also is an excellent option, if you change your mind and go independent. Key here, is to consider taking advantage of touring Seward, which few cruisetours include. Be sure to understand FULLY everything about cruisetours, most people do not. Significant is your Denali Park day.

Celebrity is excellent for the Seward port, IF you take advantage of it. :) There are many good reviews.

Archived