Shore excursions: Early or Later?

milt

I will be in Icy Strait on the Millennium on June 14th and would like to know whether I should book a 9:00 AM or 12:00 PM whale watching tour. Also, in Skagway on June 16th we would like to do the White Pass Railway and would like some advice about the best time of day. Is early better than later? Thanks

Are you a morning or an evening person? I know that, for me at least, I wouldn't be as aware on a morning excursion as I would on an afternoon one. From everything I've gathered, you've got an equal chance of seeing whales on whichever time you go, so I'd suggest going on the excursion that's at your most "comfortable" time.

From a photographic point of view, the quality of light is better earlier and later in the day. Pictures taken when the sun is directly above at high noon tend to be less flattering. If everything else excursion wise, is equal, I would select the time that gives the edge to better photos.

Is early morning fog a consideration on the White Pass Railway? If it is going to rain when the most likely time early in the morning or later?

Toss a coin, there's your answer. :)

Archived