no visa..need a traveler visitor card

jandjfun

I am cruising on the Miracle and we will stop in La Romana Domician Republic. It requires either a Visa, or a travel visitors card. I understand these cards cost $10.00 pp but my question is where do I get one?? Is this covered in the cost of the cruise and carnival will just hand them out, or do we need to do something else?

Anyone know?:confused:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html#entry_requirements

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All Americans traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States. This requirement will be extended to sea travel (except closed loop cruises), including ferry service, by the summer of 2009. Until then, U.S. citizens traveling by sea must have government-issued photo identification and a document showing their U.S. citizenship (for example, a birth certificate or certificate of nationalization), or other WHTI compliant document such as a passport card for entry or re-entry to the U.S. Sea travelers should also check with their cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements.

Applications for the U.S. Passport Card are now being accepted and have been in full production since July 2008.The card may not be used to travel by air and is available only to U.S. citizens. Further information on the Passport Card and upcoming changes to U.S. passport policy can be found on our web site. We strongly encourage all American citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport well in advance of anticipated travel. American citizens can visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports.

For information concerning entry and exit requirements, travelers may contact the Embassy of the Dominican Republic at 1715 22nd Street NW, Washington, DC 20008, tel. (202) 332-6280. There are also Dominican consulates in Boston, Chicago (Northfield, IL), Mayaguez, Miami, New Orleans, New York, and San Juan. Visit the Embassy of the Dominican Republic web site for the most current visa information.

VISAS: Visitors who do not obtain a Dominican visa prior to entry must purchase a tourist card upon arrival to enter the country. Tourist cards cost ten U.S. dollars, which must be paid in U.S. currency. Tourist cards may be purchased at the Dominican Embassy in Washington or Dominican Consulates prior to arrival, as well as at Dominican airports at the time of entry. Tourist cards normally permit a legal stay of up to 60 days. Visitors who would like to extend their time in the Dominican Republic should visit the Migration Department in Santo Domingo and request an extension. Failure to request an extension will subject the visitor to a surcharge at the airport upon departure.

http://www.domrep.org/consulates.html

General Consular Information

All foreign Nationals who can legally enter or reside in the United States of America, the European Union (including Great Britain), and Canada may enter the Dominican Republic with the presentation of a valid passport and the purchase of the tourist card at the port of arrival.

The tourist card amounts to your visa to enter our country; the tourist card can be bought upon arrival at any port or airport when you land in the Dominican Republic . Some tour-operators include the tourist card in their travel packages.

Exception:

The nationals of countries with which the Dominican Republic have visa agreements and the nationals of countries authorized to travel with tourist cards do not need visa to enter the Dominican territory.

The nationals of the following countries do not need visa or tourist card to enter the Dominican Republic:

Argentina, Chile, South Korea, Ecuador, Israel, Japón, Perú, Uruguay.

The diplomatic and official nationals (with diplomatic, official or military service passports) of the following countries do not need visa to enter the Dominican Republic:

Argentina, Belize, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, South Korea, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Italy, Israel, Japan, México (except official passports), Morocco, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Liechtenstein, Santa Sede, Switzerland (except official passports), Ukraine, Uruguay, Chinese Republic (Taiwan).

The nationals of the following countries just need a tourist card to enter the Dominican Republic:

Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Bolivia, Canada, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Dominica, Slovakia, Slovenia, El Salvador, Spain, United Status (including Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Hawaii), Finland, France (including French Guyana, Martinique, Guadalupe and Reunion), Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, UK, Netherlands, St. Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, San Vincent and Grenadines, St. Lucia, Sweden, Switzerland, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Venezuela.

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All Americans traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States. This requirement will be extended to sea travel (except closed loop cruises), including ferry service, by the summer of 2009. Until then, U.S. citizens traveling by sea must have government-issued photo identification and a document showing their U.S. citizenship (for example, a birth certificate or certificate of nationalization), or other WHTI compliant document such as a passport card for entry or re-entry to the U.S. Sea travelers should also check with their cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements.

Applications for the U.S. Passport Card are now being accepted and have been in full production since July 2008.The card may not be used to travel by air and is available only to U.S. citizens. Further information on the Passport Card and upcoming changes to U.S. passport policy can be found on our web site. We strongly encourage all American citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport well in advance of anticipated travel. American citizens can visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports.

For information concerning entry and exit requirements, travelers may contact the Embassy of the Dominican Republic at 1715 22nd Street NW, Washington, DC 20008, tel. (202) 332-6280. There are also Dominican consulates in Boston, Chicago (Northfield, IL), Mayaguez, Miami, New Orleans, New York, and San Juan. Visit the Embassy of the Dominican Republic web site for the most current visa information.

VISAS: Visitors who do not obtain a Dominican visa prior to entry must purchase a tourist card upon arrival to enter the country. Tourist cards cost ten U.S. dollars, which must be paid in U.S. currency. Tourist cards may be purchased at the Dominican Embassy in Washington or Dominican Consulates prior to arrival, as well as at Dominican airports at the time of entry. Tourist cards normally permit a legal stay of up to 60 days. Visitors who would like to extend their time in the Dominican Republic should visit the Migration Department in Santo Domingo and request an extension. Failure to request an extension will subject the visitor to a surcharge at the airport upon departure.

If you read the first line of what you have posted, it states traveling BY AIR. You are not traveling by air. I do not believe you need anything special by cruise. If so, then Carnival or the TA you and I are dealing with you say something. I am not worried at all!

The first line is regarding passports, not tourist cards. I thought perhaps someone might know the answer here. I will just call the embassy and find out. I will post here whatever information I can find.:D

You are on the cruise ship and you are not staying there. It is different coming into the country on your own. Carnival cruise line pays your port charges and you "belong" to them in a way of speaking. All that is required to go ashore is photo ID and proof that you are on the cruise ship (your sign and sail card) If you are not an American citizen, Carnival keeps your passport, you get off the ship without it at all the stops.

I am cruising on the Miracle and we will stop in La Romana Domician Republic. It requires either a Visa, or a travel visitors card. I understand these cards cost $10.00 pp but my question is where do I get one?? Is this covered in the cost of the cruise and carnival will just hand them out, or do we need to do something else?

Anyone know?:confused:

We stopped in DR with NCL, and we didn't pay anything extra. I believe the others are correct that it is included in the port charges paid to the cruise line.

The first line is regarding passports, not tourist cards. I thought perhaps someone might know the answer here. I will just call the embassy and find out. I will post here whatever information I can find.:D

We were on a cruise port stop in DR and didn't have to get anything, this was in February of this year.

I just talked to the DR. embassy. I was told that when we get off the ship we will have to purchase a tourist card. I pictured it like going through some sort of customs.

I guess I will just be ready for anything. :confused::D

I just talked to the DR. embassy. I was told that when we get off the ship we will have to purchase a tourist card. I pictured it like going through some sort of customs.

I guess I will just be ready for anything. :confused::D

We went to the DR when we lived in Bogota..We flew in and had to purchase a tourist card..If you are on a cruise I believe it is included with the your port charges..

We went to the DR when we lived in Bogota..We flew in and had to purchase a tourist card..If you are on a cruise I believe it is included with the your port charges..

well if it isn't, it should be. I am just hoping this process doesn't take half the day for 3000 people to buy a stupid card! I am hoping carnival will just hand them out in our cabins the night before we get there, or that our sail and sign cards will be proof of our payment and authorization to be there. :D

Can you imagine if the 2000 people who exited a cruise ship had to stop and buy a tourist card? - that is insane. NO CRUISE passenger does this and believe me, the money that flows to the DR when 2000 people descend on them would quickly be lost if people refused to get off the ship because in addition to the port charges YOU ARE paying the cruise line as part of your fare, you now needed $10 for a visitor's card.

We have been on alot of cruises and I can tell you, cruise passengers are not stupid - they would boycott the island

....sounds like a scam to me....and what if the 2000 people coming off the ship, just walked on by.....what are they going to do, open fire???

well if it isn't, it should be. I am just hoping this process doesn't take half the day for 3000 people to buy a stupid card! I am hoping carnival will just hand them out in our cabins the night before we get there, or that our sail and sign cards will be proof of our payment and authorization to be there. :D

I think you will be fine I am almost certain it will not be necessary..Have a great trip..Lis

Tourist cards are required in Mexico too.

Never had to purchase one for a cruise stop, I would imagine the DR is the same.

Really? Wow. I have flown into many parts of mexico, many many times. I have never had to buy one. But like everything else, one does and one doesn't. go figure.

I will have a great cruise either way. I will be ready for it if I need to be.:D

I think that is only when you are flying in, I know when I vuisited there last October I had to pay $10.00 for the tourist card.

I like going to Panama. I have flown there and I have been there on cruise ships.

Panama requires those FLYING in to buy a tourist card.

YOU DO NOT NEED ONE IF YOU ARE COMING BY SHIP.

The same is true with DR.

Please do not stress over something so simple.

If you needed one trust me it would be posted all over the boards here on cruise critic.

Enjoy your vacation. :)

The rules regarding passports are waived in the Caribbean for CRUISE passengers spending less than 24 hours on the island.

Anytime you are traveling to another country in a cruise ship, the cruise ship takes care of all of the travel requirements/fees for the ports of call. You do not have to worry about a travel card. Just relax and enjoy the cruise.

Archived